Bike Starts Losing Top Speed as Battery Depletes . . . Is This Normal or Acceptable?

So I have had a Raleigh Detour iE for a month, and for the first two of five bars on the battery level the bike cruises effortlessly on level ground at or around 20.2 mph. Today, the battery depleted to under 40% (two then one bar on the battery level) and the bike with the exact same pedaling on the same roads cruised at or about 18.5mph. The battery has seven full charge cycles on it so it is brand new.

Like a flashlight, do you have just a little less juice available on the bottom 40% of a charge? Is it enough to cause this difference of a top speed? I certainly did not notice this on the Pedalgo Ridge Rider, but I wasn't really paying attention either. I mean the Detour iE is great, battery runs great, great bike, I'm just curious about the slightly lower speed at the end of charge.

UPDATE: I tried to delete the thread, don't know how. Figured out the problem. Too embarrassing to post what was going on.

Last edited:
So I have had a Raleigh Detour iE for a month, and for the first two of five bars on the battery level the bike cruises effortlessly on level ground at or around 20.2 mph. Today, the battery depleted to under 40% (two then one bar on the battery level) and the bike with the exact same pedaling on the same roads cruised at or about 18.5mph. The battery has seven full charge cycles on it so it is brand new.

Like a flashlight, do you have just a little less juice available on the bottom 40% of a charge? Is it enough to cause this difference of a top speed? I certainly did not notice this on the Pedalgo Ridge Rider, but I wasn't really paying attention either. I mean the Detour iE is great, battery runs great, great bike, I'm just curious about the slightly lower speed at the end of charge.

UPDATE: I tried to delete the thread, don't know how. Figured out the problem. Too embarrassing to post what was going on.

No worries! Lower assist setting perhaps? It's a learning curve. Have fun!

Back