Bike mechanics charge how much??

I made this bike electric today. The owner wanted a bike to take to the office daily that looks more polished and grown up than the ones in stores. He works in a formal setting. I helped him choose and order the bike and upgrade parts. Then I shepherded everything with industry contacts and built then programed the vision. He values that.
View attachment 107239
what a beautiful bike!

Okay, but my point is, it is a bit ridiculous if bike shops, presumably professionals, don't even have a diagnostics software.

Even amateur backyard DIY builders and hobbyist have USB cable with software for Grin Tech kits, Luna Cycle bikes, etc.
How much good will "diagnostic software" be for a RAD product? Or one with a generic rear hub controller?

Are we confusing "diagnostic" with "setup" software maybe?

My understanding is that, I think diagnostics software is more for Yamaha, Bosch and similar. And Grin, or something powered by ASI controller like Luna.
Rad uses generic KT (or similar), which (I believe) really doesn't give out a code or do any customization or diagnostics.

If there's anything wrong with it, you will generally just replace the controller, display, etc.
I don't even think the ECU is accessible.

But I could be completely wrong.

But at this point, I don't think ebikes have OBD2, Can Bus or anything that's more universal like in motorcycle or car industry.
I've never seen anything I would call "diagnostic" equipment for an e-bike. There might be something for the EU stuff, but that all proprietary, hands off for DIY'ers.
Sorry but if you're taking your bike into a bike shop where they don't even have a diagnostic software or tool, I'd consider switching your bike shop.

Initially I thought maybe diagnostic tools are only for custom shops like Grin or Luna. Quick research showed that ebike shops typically have diagnostics tool, especially if they're powered by something like Yamaha or Bosch.

Raleigh even shows what kind of diagnostic software they require for their dealers.
Point being, I would put little weight behind this comment..... (bold)

what a beautiful bike!
@EMG,Thank you. I did some tricks. For example, instead of using the standard matte black chainring guard, I used a polished single speed 50-t chainring. I love the paint.
1637272996245.jpeg

Where I live the rent on a 2 bedroom 1 bath house is more than $2,400. A union carpenter making $40 an hour takes home $30 and hour and that amounts to a monthly income of $4,800 and from that the carpenter has to pay for rent, work vehicle, food, utilities, medical insurance (at more than $1,000 a month), and is lucky to have enough left over for pizza and beer. With the bike shop the owner has to pay thousands in rent and utilities to keep the doors open and they have to finance their bikes and parts inventory, pay for employees and for worker's comp insurance, and have money left over for their own rent or mortgage payment and maybe to be feed their kids and buy them clothes.

Since the 1970's workers' wages have been flat while the cost of living has increased more than 300%. It is why it takes full time jobs for a husband and a wife to have a prayer of raising a family. And many when they incur medical expenses will often find themselves homeless and living with their children in their car.

I own my house and my cars and have a business I created without banks loans or money from my parents (like Trump and Gates and Romney and Tucker, etc.) but I do not begrudge others their ability to have a roof over their heads and food to eat and medical care. We have too many scrouges in this country and thanksgiving and christmas are pure theatre at best.

Where I live the rent on a 2 bedroom 1 bath house is more than $2,400. A union carpenter making $40 an hour takes home $30 and hour and that amounts to a monthly income of $4,800 and from that the carpenter has to pay for rent, work vehicle, food, utilities, medical insurance (at more than $1,000 a month), and is lucky to have enough left over for pizza and beer. With the bike shop the owner has to pay thousands in rent and utilities to keep the doors open and they have to finance their bikes and parts inventory, pay for employees and for worker's comp insurance, and have money left over for their own rent or mortgage payment and maybe to be feed their kids and buy them clothes.

Since the 1970's workers' wages have been flat while the cost of living has increased more than 300%. It is why it takes full time jobs for a husband and a wife to have a prayer of raising a family. And many when they incur medical expenses will often find themselves homeless and living with their children in their car.

I own my house and my cars and have a business I created without banks loans or money from my parents (like Trump and Gates and Romney and Tucker, etc.) but I do not begrudge others their ability to have a roof over their heads and food to eat and medical care. We have too many scrouges in this country and thanksgiving and christmas are pure theatre at best.
You must live in a low wage area! I'd love to find a carpenter, or any other tradesman, that would work for $40 an hour, and I live in a rural area in SW New Hampshire.

You must live in a low wage area! I'd love to find a carpenter, or any other tradesman, that would work for $40 an hour, and I live in a rural area in SW New Hampshire.
Well, he said “making” $40/hour… which isn’t the same as what you’re charged for their labor. $40/hr pre tax on 2,000 hours of work a year is 80k, which is a third higher than the average annual wage for a carpenter in the United States (57k) and not far off what a union carpenter would make in most markets. The amount you pay, of course, includes other taxes, overhead, supervision, their benefits, cost of tools and training, etc etc etc.

It's more than labor! Back and mortar shops have overhead to pay for too!!
Funny we all want higher wages but can't understand why a shop would.

Back