Bike Lock for RadRover?

OC Guy

My wife and I each have a Rad Rover. Looking for the best bike lock solution. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

I just ordered the radwagon a week ago and I’ve been searching for a great lock ever since then. I’ve been reading post in this forum and everyone has different ideas and needs.

Some have said U-locks, or the club utility lock, which are the less expensive lower weight locks. Some have said multiple chain and padlocks like Abus brand or ever rigging chain like Pewang.

I still have yet to make up my mind myself. I really like the abus brand as they have a good reputation for security but they are certainly not inexpensive. Kryptonite has a Noose type of chain which is something I’m really debating getting now. Im on mobile and the linking isn’t working properly for me. It’s the kryptonite New York noose lock on amazon. But with chain you have to deal with the weight.

After all this, once I finally decide on what lock to actually get, I’m getting an alarm disc lock as well as insurance.

I know this doesn’t help you decide. I think you might need to look online for bike theft rates in your area and decide how much security you need.

I decided to get a Kryptonite New York 1415 Chain, their highest rated lock, as it's more about how expensive the bike is for me. I know it's heavy, but plan to leave it in the front basket (when it arrives). I just hope it doesn't make too much noise while riding.

The fender (side ones) really limit the ability to lock the rear wheel. Has anyone figured out how to deal with it, or you just lock the frame and maybe front wheel?

The fender (side ones) really limit the ability to lock the rear wheel. Has anyone figured out how to deal with it, or you just lock the frame and maybe front wheel?

I use a U-lock around the wheel on one side, then through the wheel and bottom frame on the other, then a separate chain lock to lock the front wheel. Like so.

For those wondering, that's a Kryptonite New York Standard U lock on the back with a Kryptonite keeper chain up front.

Last edited:
I use a U-lock around the wheel on one side, then through the wheel and bottom frame on the other, then a separate chain lock to lock the front wheel. Like so.

For those wondering, that's a Kryptonite New York Standard U lock on the back with a Kryptonite keeper chain up front.

Thanks. I have the Rad Wagon which covers the top half of the wheel in a clear fender skirt (on the sides), and so no go for the ULock to go through. The bottom half has the chain line and so is difficult.

Attachments

• rear rad wagon.png
    rear rad wagon.png
    701 KB · Views: 1,884
I'd just use 3 chains if I couldn't use a U lock. As a rule of thumb, spend 10% of your bike's value on locks. NEVER leave it outside overnight under any circumstance and try to always bring it inside with you instead of locking it. If that's not possible, then park it where you can keep an eye on it.
Keep in mind that if a thief wants your bike, he'll steal it.

I use a cable lock, and an abus key lock (decent one) weather proof. Nothing is weather proof, but, it's better than a dirt and grim getting jammed up and breaking the key off the lock...Then you gotta ask a bike thief to barrow his bolt cutters to slice through the cable lock so you can get your ride home.

All fun and games, it really depends on where you are locking it up, and for how long. Different circumstances for everyone. I ride around in a van, so, if I'm riding, it's mostly to go get a cup of coffee or use the the restroom at a campground. Tho, if I were in the city, and had to go shopping for hours...etc...etc... I'd get a heavy duty lock. When I'm not riding, then it's usually in the house aka van with the doors locked. Sometimes I even lock it up in the van, but that almost never happens.

I bought my Abus from Lockitt.com. They have a program to match key codes. This beats having a different key for each lock.

I am looking for a lock for my Sondors XS that's arriving soon and I'm reading a lot about the Kryptonite NY. I've also seen those awesome folding locks by Abus among others. I love the size of those. Those look outstanding. Isn't there a small lock from the frame you can get for front tires too? Are those useful for front tires? For the whole bike though I'm leaning towards Kryptonite. That folder is just so dang sweet though.

You might want to take some time and do a search of picking or breaking the lock you're considering. Rovers are in hot demand with a long wait for delivery. So there are going to be folks really lusting for your bike for the next year or so. This guy the Lock picking lawyer of youtube fame is pretty good. He's been reviewing locks and showing just how easy it is to defeat for years.

Heres his reveiw of an Abus lock
Here's another guys report.
Sucks because I was really sold on it.

Made me realize how dumb cable and undersized chain locks are. I mean worthless if it takes less than 10 seconds to cut. There are tons of other testers showing how easy it is to do. I live near Portland OR, BIG bike town and the bike thieves are pretty serious about stealing upper end bikes.

Took few videos and some time to come to grips with what I felt I had to buy. Not the most eloquent or lightest but the best I felt for the $. Make your own informed decision after you do a little research. You can take the time or just the advice from someone. I mean its only about $1500 to replace.

I have two 16 Radrovers and taken them on day to week long roadtrips (ebikes are perfect for the Grand Canyon). I try to store them in the hotel room when I can; but, not always possible. I went for a layered security to add/subtract protection depending on the situation. Didn't purchase all at the same time. Just added locks with my research and when deals popped up.

- Boomerang cellular tracking and alarm system (really need to check this a few times a month because it can become unresponsive and fail to check-in, quick reset does the trick. New version will roll out in a few weeks/months).
- 20 foot cable lock (usually lock both ebikes together at a bike stand
- two Xena XSU-310 18mm u-bolt, found on eBay for $70-$80 each and sometimes used to lock up heavy equipment at construction sites.
- Saris cable lock, came with Saris platform rack
- two OnGuard 8024 Rottweiler, use on platform rack if I need to leave overnight at hotel
- Xena XC-14 14mm chain, traveling and/or overnight at hotel use
- have discus lock and OnGuard locks for chain and cable
- Formosa dual bike cover, Amazon, $75 (keep ebike clean, protect from the weather/dust/dirt, out of sight/out of mind at hotels).

Most of the time, it is the Boomerang (audible alarm, motion, and cell phone notification) and cable+discus lock around town (always line of sight at stops. I add layers depending in town, out of town, or overnight travel. Can add up to 4-7 locks, cover, and have the Boomerang alarm/notification at overnight hotel stays.

I really like the security of the Kryptonite while it is quite heavy it is great peace of mind that it takes a power tool to get through that chain and well over an hour of cutting to achieve that. I use it on the main frame and a cable running through the front wheel. I have the Rad City. I am new here just got accepted over night and all I can really say about security is do your homework and see what works best for you. I'll give my recap on my Rad City when I return later ay almost 4000 miles on it. Have a great day all !!

Back