Bike light

Marceltt

Hi guys you probably got this asked a hundred times but I'm looking to buy a bike light that is clamped on handle bar secure with a removable light. Also would like it to be chargeable with option of adding a charged battery once the first on dies out of power. Would like a wide pattern of light. Any suggestions

I commute to work around 5:30am and like to night ride the trails near the river. Some of the brightest bike lights can get up there in price and soon are surpassed by something better in a few months. I probably spent about the same amount of money as one top end light; but, didn't go an one and done solution for my bike. Most of the items I have are 2-3 year old; but, still work for me:

Bike:
- FOME quick release bike mount
- Alldaymall F-869 super bright 3800 lm cree LED flashlight with 3X18650 battery
- Extra Panasonic 3500mAh Orbtronic 18650 batteries
- Two Fish lockblocks flashlight holder on RR handlebar to steady the 3X18650 battery extra long LED flashlight
- TianNorth 9T6 cree bike headlamp
- extra battery pack for TianNorth
- Light and Motion Vis 180 USB rechargeable taillight
- Nori light for rims for side illumination
- extra CR2032 batteries for Nori lights emitters

Helmet:
- Topeak Mega 10w white light
- extra battery pack
- Light and motion Vis 180 USB rechargeable taillight

So far, the set-up has worked very well for road and trail alike. I use the TianNorth+Topeak Mega light for my 5:30am 7 mile work commute and add the extra 3800lm flashlight for when I do just for fun trail riding at night. I like the both lights (quick release for flashlight and rubber strap for TianNorth) because I can remove or switch to my other bikes in a 30-60 seconds or toss in my backpack at a bike rack. I also like having the flashlight I can use around the house or when traveling instead of being stuck for bike duties only.

I also like the Topeak helmet mounted spot light because it can illuminate everywhere you look at night. It really comes in handy on twisty roads/paths, approaching intersections (use the light to shine on the "no cop, no stop" drivers at 5:30am), seeing hazards earlier, and just being more aware of your surroundings.

I commute to work around 5:30am and like to night ride the trails near the river. Some of the brightest bike lights can get up there in price and soon are surpassed by something better in a few months. I probably spent about the same amount of money as one top end light; but, didn't go an one and done solution for my bike. Most of the items I have are 2-3 year old; but, still work for me:

Bike:
- FOME quick release bike mount
- Alldaymall F-869 super bright 3800 lm cree LED flashlight with 3X18650 battery
- Extra Panasonic 3500mAh Orbtronic 18650 batteries
- Two Fish lockblocks flashlight holder on RR handlebar to steady the 3X18650 battery extra long LED flashlight
- TianNorth 9T6 cree bike headlamp
- extra battery pack for TianNorth
- Light and Motion Vis 180 USB rechargeable taillight
- Nori light for rims for side illumination
- extra CR2032 batteries for Nori lights emitters

Helmet:
- Topeak Mega 10w white light
- extra battery pack
- Light and motion Vis 180 USB rechargeable taillight

So far, the set-up has worked very well for road and trail alike. I use the TianNorth+Topeak Mega light for my 5:30am 7 mile work commute and add the extra 3800lm flashlight for when I do just for fun trail riding at night. I like the both lights (quick release for flashlight and rubber strap for TianNorth) because I can remove or switch to my other bikes in a 30-60 seconds or toss in my backpack at a bike rack. I also like having the flashlight I can use around the house or when traveling instead of being stuck for bike duties only.

I also like the Topeak helmet mounted spot light because it can illuminate everywhere you look at night. It really comes in handy on twisty roads/paths, approaching intersections (use the light to shine on the "no cop, no stop" drivers at 5:30am), seeing hazards earlier, and just being more aware of your surroundings.
That's a lot of lights. If you had to pick one which would it be. I prefer a mount on my bar and have the light come of so I can use it like a flashlight

I echo above experiences with lights. Am using the Raniaco’s 400 lumens USB Rechargeable Bicycle Light and Blitzu Ultra Bright Taillight on my city bike. Both quite adequate for well-lit small town streets. On my electric bike I have much brighter lights, great for streets & trails: Fenix BC 21r 800 lumens headlight & cygolite hotshot 100 taillight. Fenix batteries can be swapped out. The other usb charged lights cannot.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/headlights.php

My son uses the B&M IQ Premium. I just ordered one. Standard has the handlebar mounting bracket. Though we both like to keep our handlebars as clean as possible so we mount on the fork crown. They slide right off either mount. 4 AA batteries which I view as a huge plus given the surge of proprietary USB lights these days. No need to remove batteries for charging. Shaped well for flashlight usage.

My brief experience with the light is its superb. Well engineered and built. Uses an automotive reflector approach instead of the bulb firing through a primitive lens. More than enough light for on-road urban environments, very sharp cutoff patterns. For country roads with little on-coming traffic I'd probably go for more light -- the cheap and powerful variety that sprays light all over the place. My son commutes in Switzerland. Most of the year in the dark both ways. He swears by it and has gone through a collection of German branded lighting over the years. I took it up a narrow lane at night and was very impressed.

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/headlights.php

My son uses the B&M IQ Premium. I just ordered one. Standard has the handlebar mounting bracket. Though we both like to keep our handlebars as clean as possible so we mount on the fork crown. They slide right off either mount. 4 AA batteries which I view as a huge plus given the surge of proprietary USB lights these days. No need to remove batteries for charging. Shaped well for flashlight usage.

My brief experience with the light is its superb. Well engineered and built. Uses an automotive reflector approach instead of the bulb firing through a primitive lens. More than enough light for on-road urban environments, very sharp cutoff patterns. For country roads with little on-coming traffic I'd probably go for more light -- the cheap and powerful variety that sprays light all over the place. My son commutes in Switzerland. Most of the year in the dark both ways. He swears by it and has gone through a collection of German branded lighting over the years. I took it up a narrow lane at night and was very impressed.
Wow I think you just sold me on this light. Thank you. Any problems with this light since you owened it.

Wow I think you just sold me on this light. Thank you. Any problems with this light since you owened it.
I'm at our place in Switzerland at the moment. Bought the light, along with a Turbo X while I was over here. Haven't seen either. Sitting in my garage in the USA.

My son though has had the light for near a year now. This is Central Europe at its worst weather wise. I believe I've seen no more than 5 hours of blue sky in the last three weeks. He's commuting in the rain every day. The light's working fine.

On purchasing of electric bike light, you should be sure about your budget. A slight increase in the price of bike light may deteriorate your present condition. I have never experienced much change in my bike light but I have used 400 and 500 lumen bike lights. For country roads, these are quite good in the dark. Despite this, one of my friends has preferred 800 lumen light for more intensity of light.

Decided to upgrade my bike lights. My old set-up was good +3 ago; but, only adequate compared to LEDs of today. Plus, the rechargeable batteries were getting weak and two out of three of my battery chargers died (Topeak 10w Mega lights/accessories not for sell anymore).

I went for the the Niterider Pro 3600 (450lm/1000lm/1800lm/3800lm) for my bike and Niterider Pro 2200 (250lm/600lm/1200lm/2200lm) for my helmet. These lights on the lowest setting is brighter than my old lights on the highest setting. I can now go 5-6 hours between charges with the new lights compared to 60-90 minutes with my old set-up. The 3600lm and 2200lm are true light outputs and extremely easy to see in flashing mode on bright sunny days. I only use full power when trail riding at night.

I found both lights on eBay for $52 for the 2200 and $315 for the 3600. I like the option of switching the lights between my other two bikes and I have a headband for these lights for when I do night hikes in the Sandia mountains in the summer.

niterider.jpg niterider II.jpg

On purchasing of electric bike light, you should be sure about your budget. A slight increase in the price of bike light may deteriorate your present condition. I have never experienced much change in my bike light but I have used 400 and 500 lumen bike lights. For country roads, these are quite good in the dark. Despite this, one of my friends has preferred 800 lumen light for more intensity of light.
I bought myself the serfas 1200 light. Love it.

Love my Light & Motion Seca 2200 Enduro, 2200 lumens of light but actual testing shows its more like 2206. Good battery life on a rechargeable external 6v battery. Great run time as well. very pricy, but you can find them on sale for around 375-390.

Back