Bike battery questions Reention Dorado 17ah

lazbell83

I have a couple questions. I have a 1000w mid drive bafang motor with a 48v 17 ah dorado battery on my fat tire bike i bought from bpmimports (Bpm Bikes | F-1000 Matte Black 1000W Fat Tire Electric Bike (bpmimports.com)). The bike has been serving me very well for over a year until i messed up the battery(i think). I had the charger plugged into the battery and then plugged the 5A charger into the wall. Large electrical pop at the battery and wall and a fuse thrown at the panel, and now the pedal assist only works sometimes, like the battery just stops sending power. Although the throttle works fine, when the pedal assist stops working i can turn off the power and turn it back on and it will work for a while. Here are my questions-

1) it is the battery i messed up right? i thought maybe i could reset the electronic system and fix it, but i cannot figure out how to do that.
2) the dorado battery is 17ah from reention. Can i replace it with this bigger 21ah battery? they look exactly the same to me, and with black friday coupon and free shipping the 21 ah battery is only going to be $495.
https://m.dhgate.com/product/free-t...|jnt_ebikebattery|m|2|#redirect_detail=PC2WAP

Because the throttle works, I doubt seriously that the battery is the root of your evil. My focus would be on repairing 2 problems. The PAS as one problem, then figuring out why you blew the panel breaker. That's very likely the more serious problem, and my bet is they are completely unreleated - unless some sort of short melted a gob of wiring affecting them both.

That's going to require some troubleshooting. Have you spoken with BPM?

turns out the panel breaker blows multiple times a week and has for a long time(according to the last tenants of this house) so i dont know if that had anything to do with it. You think the PAS might have been what messed up? Right when it happened i was able to ride it fine until it got to about 80% battery and the pedal assist went out the first time. It has become much worse since then, with the pedal assist cutting out all the time now.

Pedal assist going out all the time could be as simple as a loose wire. Trouble is, if you have a Bafang Ultra powered bike like your link indicates, most of that wiring is internal. Not the easiest thing for an inexperienced DIY'er to work with. You need to get BPM involved here.....

Pedal assist going out all the time could be as simple as a loose wire. Trouble is, if you have a Bafang Ultra powered bike like your link indicates, most of that wiring is internal. Not the easiest thing for an inexperienced DIY'er to work with. You need to get BPM involved here.....
Yeah bpm told me to take it to a local bike shop to get it checked out. I guess I'll do that. I doubt it's a loose wire when it happened immediately after the electric pop and surge at the battery from the charger

I would keep that to yourself when you take the bike in. As mentioned, that may not (probably did not) have had a thing to do with the PAS issue. You don't want to provide info that's going to send a tech on a wild goose chase. Let them focus on troubleshooting the PAS issue and report back with their findings. Then take it from there.

Back