Bigger electric motor (Help)

Skyhawk4754

Hi
New to the forum.
Introduction: 64 years young, male, 6'2" 280 lbs live in the Texas Hill Country.
I bought a Terratrike Allroad Rambler with BionX P350 DX20 electric assist , 24" tires about 90 days ago.
I really like the trike. However we have about 1/2 mile of a 12% increase in elevation and the electric assist just doesn't have it. What can I do to improve my situation?
Thanks

Hi Ski,
Combination of problems: Most trikes come severely overgeared. not geared low enough to climb steep hills.
AND a direct drive hub motor is the less ideal choice for long or many hills as they draw a lot of amps under load and will overheat and shut down the controller (typically) with a thermal cutoff that shuts down the motor in turn when it gets too hot. My Falco (on a Catrike) won't go 10 miles on even the lowest level of assist (eco) without shutting down completely for spurts after that while it cools down.
There's not much you can do to help the motor I'm afraid, a geared hub motor would likely be a better choice for that hill. But you can change the gearing on the trike so that you can offer more help and reduce the load and thus the shut down of the motor.
How strong are you? Have you ridden a recumbent before? If you haven't, it takes months of riding to develop the "bent muscles" that get used with the different pedal position. Until then, most are REALLY weak. It comes with time and miles.
Keep riding, you will get stronger with each month of riding that goes by. No shame in getting off and walking it up when its just too steep.

Not familiar with Bion X. With Bafang hub motors, you get a different controller first. If that isn't enough, a bigger motor, controller, and battery. Sorry can't help more with what you have. Call Bion X and talk to them.

The forum can't find your model, I don't know what your rear hub looks like. Bionx is an integrated system, I don't expect you can modify much there.
And I've just experimented with the geared wheel motor market, there is a reason that Luna is always out of stock. The 1000 W 48v one I bought elsewhere lasted 60 miles. There must be a initial quality problem in the $220 versions. It was fully capable of 15% grade with gross weight of 300 lb though (me + 50 lb supplies).
You can change the drive wheel to have more teeth on the lowest sprocket, to lower the gear ratio. In the 11 speed clusters, 11 to 34 tooth range is pretty common. You'll have to match the chain design to the drive spocket. 6-8 speed chains are one width, 9-11 speed chains are thinner. You'll need a custom chain length too. and changing hubs gets on into the custom spoke length market, and no, the spoke calculators on line only get close, not good enough. The bike shop charges $122 to put something custom in an existing rim; I bought 3 different spoke lengths for $63.
As far as strength, I'm age 67 and am able to get that 300 lb up the 15% grades without stopping and without power. Not in May, but usually by mid June. My mountain bike had a 32:28 low ratio, and 26" wheels. Those 15% grades are the reason I bought geared hub motor instead of mid-drive; I can't do without the low ratio front sprocket. I sure as **** couldn't do without it when the battery and wheel failed in the first two trips and I had to pedal more than 10 miles to destination each time. The nice thing about geared hub motor, they don't drag when the motor is dead.
Have fun hot-rodding.

Last edited:
And I've just experimented with the geared wheel motor market, there is a reason that Luna is always out of stock. The 1000 W 48v one I bought elsewhere lasted 60 miles. There must be a initial quality problem in the $220 versions. It was fully capable of 15% grade with gross weight of 300 lb though (me + 50 lb supplies).

Well, that's one trouble with plastic gears. The nylon melts when the motor overheats. Luna's motor is just bigger, so more heat can dissipate before it melts the plastic, but Luna's kits for that class of motor don't seem to have pedal assist sensors. (Just looking at pictures.)

On their 1000W direct drives that have sensors in the pics, it seems like pedal assist works like cruise control. You set a button and as long as the pedals spin, the bike holds speed.

Here's my trike. Does anyone have a BionX service number?

Attachments

• IMG_20171204_094540.jpg
    IMG_20171204_094540.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 949
  • IMG_20171204_094602.jpg
    IMG_20171204_094602.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 893
  • IMG_20171204_094621.jpg
    IMG_20171204_094621.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 843
Well, that's one trouble with plastic gears. The nylon melts when the motor overheats.
Actually, I either shorted a turn in the motor, or blew a transistor in the controller. Neither case was hot. Further diagnosis next spring when I get out there with a fast meter and a current sensing resistor.
Skyhawk, looks like you have something approximating a 32:28 low gear already. No help there except the more you do it the stronger you are. bionx has a website suffix bionx.com see the "contact us" panel

@Skyhawk4754, I am a BionX dealer for 14 yrs in the Austin area and can help you with diagnostics. You don't mention how old the BionX system is; could be an aged battery or other issues. Please feel free to contact me via our PM system so we can determine if its an issue with the BionX or a mechanical, simple gearing issue.

@Skyhawk4754, I am a BionX dealer for 14 yrs in the Austin area and can help you with diagnostics. You don't mention how old the BionX system is; could be an aged battery or other issues. Please feel free to contact me via our PM system so we can determine if its an issue with the BionX or a mechanical, simple gearing issue.
PM sent

Back