Bicyclists should be seen as well as heard.

Alaskan

As a long time mariner, I always try to find equipment and needed supplies without the dreaded "M word" (marine) in the label. This can be true in the bike world as well.

Example: I wanted to add more reflective surface to my helmet and my bike. Under bicycle supply, a small piece of adhesive backed, reflective tape coasts $12 or more.

I went on eBay and found marine grade, SOLAS (safety of life at sea) tape, with adhesive rated to keep it in place during a storm at sea. The stuff is highly reflective and a 10 foot roll of 1" tape made by 3m cost $12.75. To see the stuff click HERE

Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) = Safety of Life on Road

I have added the tape to the sides of the Bosch battery and to the back of my helmet.

20180217_064316.jpg
20180217_064416.jpg

Great choice on the tape. I used some reflective bike spoke tape on my bikes ... kinda looks like the photo below of my Tern. But your selection looks way more durable. I might pick up some and add some enhancements particular to my helmets.
TernReflective1.JPG

As a long time mariner, I always try to find equipment and needed supplies without the dreaded "M word" (marine) in the label. This can be true in the bike world as well.

Example: I wanted to add more reflective surface to my helmet and my bike. Under bicycle supply, a small piece of adhesive backed, reflective tape coasts $12 or more.

I went on eBay and found marine grade, SOLAS (safety of life at sea) tape, with adhesive rated to keep it in place during a storm at sea. The stuff is highly reflective and a 10 foot roll of 1" tape made by 3m cost $12.75. To see the stuff click HERE

I have added the tape to the sides of the Bosch battery and to the back of my helmet.

View attachment 20043View attachment 20044

Hello Alasken,

Wow ! What a great idea. I have two identical Bosch Batteries and have just ordered a roll of the SOLAS Reflective Tape from the Bay
link you included.

Thank you for your post,
John from CT

View attachment 20043View attachment 20044

Great idea - I just went to eBay and bought the last roll of the tape you recommended. Your battery tape looks very nice and also effective and visible - nice trim job. Thank you for your post and specific ideas. Jeff

Good topic! Just adding to the knowledge base here. High intensity Scotchlite (shown above) is the brightest of the reflective films. It is available in some colors, always visible even in daylight, as bright as a reflector when hit by light at night. It's good for flat and gently curved surfaces. It's considered permanent, very difficult to remove after a few days.

Engineer grade Scotchlite is more pliable, good for flat and curved surfaces, available in many solid colors. The black looks black in daylight, turns white when hit by light at night. Very bright, less than high intensity though. It is easier to remove with heat than the high intensity film.

https://www.identi-tape.com/3M-engineer-grade1.html

As well as seeing I want to see. Being on the downhill side age-wise my night vision is pretty poor. Because of work pressures and a full life I find my only time to enjoy a ride is at night. Riding on the city trails in Madison I find a good high intensity light set invaluable. Our trails are mixed use so it is not unusual to find unlit evening walkers and pet owners out on the trails. A bright headlight and taillight with pulsing or stroboscopic settings is essential for my safety and theirs as well. When on the road there is never too much visibility. Motorists are notorious for not seeing bikes or motorcyclists. Lights or reflectors in the wheels, pedals, and rider provide motion which also enhances visiblity and increases the attention drawing effect. Remember also that even careful motorists regularly misjudge the speed of bikes which is exasperated by the higher average speeds of Ebikes. Some people complain about the bright flashing lights, but at least I know they noticed me. Ride safe, ride long.

As well as seeing I want to see. Being on the downhill side age-wise my night vision is pretty poor. Because of work pressures and a full life I find my only time to enjoy a ride is at night. Riding on the city trails in Madison I find a good high intensity light set invaluable. Our trails are mixed use so it is not unusual to find unlit evening walkers and pet owners out on the trails. A bright headlight and taillight with pulsing or stroboscopic settings is essential for my safety and theirs as well. When on the road there is never too much visibility. Motorists are notorious for not seeing bikes or motorcyclists. Lights or reflectors in the wheels, pedals, and rider provide motion which also enhances visiblity and increases the attention drawing effect. Remember also that even careful motorists regularly misjudge the speed of bikes which is exasperated by the higher average speeds of Ebikes. Some people complain about the bright flashing lights, but at least I know they noticed me. Ride safe, ride long.

Lilrich - You make a very important point.

Good lighting is not cheap but is the best invesment in your safety you can make, shy of a good helmet. Very few bikes come with a saddle, pedals or lights that should not be swapped out for better ones. With an e-bike electric use is not a critical issue as there is a massive battery on board from which to draw. The best headlights for ebikes that I have sourced out come from Supernova and Lupine. Make sure it is an ebike specific lighting system not one designed for dynamo.

If your ebike does not come equipped with a minimum 150 Lumen headlight, spend the $200-$300 to upgrade or add one. Your life could depend on it.

My normal commute starts out about 30 minutes or so before sunrise, so I use my headlight (NiteRider 600). There's a 2.5 mile stretch on the last part of my commute to work that is a multi-use pathway that functions as both sidewalk and bike path. It runs adjacent to a busy roadway and I'm pedaling into the headlights of oncoming traffic but not on the roadway. By the time I reach this pathway, it's getting light out and the headlight isn't really offering any help, but the shadow from the elevated freeway still keeps it darker than the surrounding area. At this point, my primary concern is from the traffic emerging from side streets crossing in front of me without stopping so I switch the steady headlight over to strobe in hopes of catching their attention.

On one occasion, I encountered a purist cyclist all lycra'd out coming from the opposite direction who started motioning with a sweeping arm and yelling out, "Blinding, blinding!" I'm thinking, "WTF" and then thought maybe the strobe is too bright. The next morning, not wanting to come across as uncompromising, I decided to keep the headlight on the lowest setting instead of strobe and angled it downward so it hit just in front of my front tire. At this angle, the only complaints should be from any mongoose that decide to bolt in front of me. Again, my main focus was to get the attention of the right-turn drivers when I'm about to cross in front of them (assuming I have the green light) but not blind my fellow cyclist. Sure enough, I met up with the guy again and he gives me the same animated and vocal warning as before. This time I shouted back, "Don't stare at the light!"

Last edited:
Back