Better tires for my HyperScorpion: motor-cycle tires?

After 7,000+ miles (in one year...) I need to replace the HyperScorpion tires. With so much mileage, I've had quite a few punctures of course. I read somewhere that we could use motorcycle tires (heavier but possible with the 1,000 W motor and 52V/19A battery) which should be more puncture resistant. I pretty much ride on streets so I don't need anything that's made for dirt roads.

What has been your experience? So the size has to be 20'' x 4.25'' (or thinner? is that possible?). What about the inner-tubes?

Links appreciated.

Looking forward to reading your collective wisdom!

Warmly,
D-J in Los Angeles

Yes, I found out that there are no 20'' motorcycle or scooter tires!.. The right size would be a 120/80-20 but so far no luck.

Alternatively, I ordered new tires through Juiced Bikes, and also will get extra protection from the inside. It will be an experiment. For the rear I will use a Tannus insert (see https://tannusamerica.com/ ) and for extra protection on the front I will (have the bicycle shop do this work... I'm a horrible mechanic) use this Mr Tuffy ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HXXVJK...olid=2Q3VSV3F9EFWY&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it ) . I also talked with Dave at Velosurance and they do have roadside assistance (for only $12/year) but you have to add it by calling it in once you have a policy (he wasn't very enthusiastic about it because apparently it can take 1 -2 hours for someone to show up, which is totally acceptable for me but apparently not for some impatient customers).

Of course, in the end, the stuff that is out there on our roads... other than solid rubber tires nothing will protect you 100%

Yes interesting indeed! I'm gonna stick with Juiced's tires for now and the above mentioned reinforcements (I actually changed my mind about the Mr. Tuffy because it is quite expensive and the Juiced tire already has that kind of protection. The main experiment, step 1, will be testing the Tannus insert). To be continued!.. :)

Juiced tires don't have anything like the Tuffy Armor strips, not sure why you said that. Are you referring to the high TPI some of their tires have?

After 7,000+ miles (in one year...) I need to replace the HyperScorpion tires. With so much mileage, I've had quite a few punctures of course. I read somewhere that we could use motorcycle tires (heavier but possible with the 1,000 W motor and 52V/19A battery) which should be more puncture resistant. I pretty much ride on streets so I don't need anything that's made for dirt roads.

What has been your experience? So the size has to be 20'' x 4.25'' (or thinner? is that possible?). What about the inner-tubes?

Links appreciated.

Looking forward to reading your collective wisdom!

Warmly,
D-J in Los Angeles
Can´t help ya, I wouldn´t ride in L.A. fur all the tea in China, not even in an armored car. Rad has
custom-made 20¨ on the Rad Runner that look very good. Maybe they´d sell you a couple. gotta
be better than the juiced.

Check out this video on YouTube:
I can't personally recommend these tires, but I found the video interesting.
The guy sez mtn biking started around 1980? Gotta beg to differ! I was mtn biking in ´58
on a ´46 monark with 3 in. tires & a dbl springer fork. Even then it goes back further to
the late ´40s on bikes with a rear drum pedal brake. He´s right about the juiced tires though.
Good tip! Here's a Kenda Kraze https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/kenda-kraze-20-x-4-25-tire but for now it's sold out.

Why do you think it is better than a Juiced provided tire?
I dunno, it looks like a meatier general use tire, it´s narrower with more psi I think.. I don´t ride fat, but
my experience with regular tires is that I get better mileage & wear from narrower tires with tougher
sidewalls, & higher psi. At a glance I just like the look of the rad 20¨, but cannot actually vouch for
it via experience. My juiced experience was somewhat short of expectations. (CCS 1st run)

P. S. the kenda kraze is not the tire shown in the EBR runner review. it´s a special 3.3 in.
´Kenda K-rad´.

Last edited:
Well, I got the rad-run-around trying to find the K-rad PSI. Apparently I´m required to enter
a serial No. from a bike I don´t have in order to ask the question. But. looks like they´ll sell
ya one. (pig in poke?) Price wasn´t too bad.

Last edited:
Well, I got the rad-run-around trying to find the K-rad PSI. Apparently I´m required to enter
a serial No. from a bike I don´t have in order to ask the question. But. looks like they´ll sell
ya one. (pig in poke?) Price wasn´t too bad.
Niiice! Thank you finding this tire. I'll order it the next time. I never understood the fat tire stuff. I tried riding in the desert sand here once and it was very strenuous, with quite less control over the steering (maybe thinner tires are worse, possibly). Anyways.., it's an environmental disaster to ride in the desert so I'm not missing it. I'll keep to the asphalt. :)

I hope that works well, You shouldn´t need 4¨ tires just on the road. Too much cactus in the desert anyway.
Having once done a belly flop into a patch of prickly pear, I´ve no desire to repeat.

Back