Best mirror type?

Over time I have had 3 different mirrors. Needed them when leading the group to be sure all were following. Going too fast and clobbering a wall got rid of one. Dropping the bike which always landed mirror side down broke the other two. Solved the problem by appointing someone else as Leader and I ride as Tail-end-Charlie.

Does the handlebar mirrors vibrate so as not to be able see out of them that well?
The 701 mirror screw attached to the inside of the handlebar, a screw is tightened that expands a fitting allowing for a solid connection. I commute over some awful roads in Massachusetts and I've never noticed vibration.

Does the handlebar mirrors vibrate so as not to be able see out of them that well?
Haven't noticed vibration rendering my Mirrycle "too jittery" to use... but I'll deliberately watch for that on tomorrow's ride over some bumpy, tree-root buckled pavement...

Images in my old mirror were shaky -- that's why I replaced it with the Busch &Muller 701 for e-bikes. I ride mostly bumpy, potholed streets in San Francisco and the 701 has been flawless.

Haven't noticed vibration rendering my Mirrycle "too jittery" to use... but I'll deliberately watch for that on tomorrow's ride over some bumpy, tree-root buckled pavement...

No vibrations or jitters with my Mirrcycle mirrors either.

Has anyone used both the mirror on the helmet and the handlebar mirror? Is there a preference; pros and cons of each?

I also use the Mirrycle. I have it mounted down and in. That way I don't have issues with tight gates at trail heads and doorways. It also has helped when the bike fell on that side, mirror survived. Looks better too. If you have narrow bars or wider rider, the rear view could be blocked, if mounted down and in. Works good and I've never had any vibration issues.

Pro: price, adjustability, real glass with no distortion, works with most size bars.

Con: cheap looking plastic, glass can break (hasn't in 4 years).

Get 'em while they're hot! I noticed price has doubled in 4 years. Of all the bike mounted mirrors I see, easily 9 of 10 are Mirrycle.

I found I had to look down to use the Mirrycle and I didn't like how it took my eyes off the road ahead so I use this cheap convex handlebar mirror I bought off Amazon that is long so I can raise it reasonably high into my line of vision, the length also helps clear my sleeve, I bought a second for my wife's pedal bicyle and she likes it too.

One of the best E-bike specific mirrors:

Ergotec M99

https://www.ergotec.de/en/products/spiegel/sub/ruckspiegel/produkt/m-99.html

It can be purchased from Rose Bikes: https://www.rosebikes.nl/artikel/ergotec-m-88m-99-spiegel/aid:717705

2008866_2.kdb05qu7bc.jpg

My husband and I both use this mirror on our sunglasses. There's a little learning curve, but once you're past that, it's great. I'll never go biking without this mirror again.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0...F8&qid=1523670680&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65
Thanks Tina. Since it’s so cheap, and so am I, I’m starting with this. I’ve had a few days and certainly agree about the learning curve and agree that it works and a solid product! For now, it’s a keeper.

At some point, I would like to also explore some of the other handlebar alternatives mentioned here. I think there is something to be said for not having the distraction of the device right off your eyeball. One issue I am seeing is that I definitely can’t cut out the end, as I’ve got these fancy handlebar grips that are too nice to cut. And I have a lot of stuff on my handlebars already so making the whole thing work would take a little maneuvering.

I have used both a handlebar mirror and a helmet mounted one. The helmet mounted mirror required far more time to visually locate the mirror and then orient my head just right to get a proper view behind. The handlebar mirror, once adjusted, required far less time not looking at the road ahead to assess what is happening behind.

The bigger the better too. Get one that will pivot in so that, if hit, it will fold out of the way and also can be deliberately folded when walking the bike through a door. Blackburn makes a nice one but the best I have found, is made in Germany, super robust (not lightweight) and cost less than $20. https://www.rosebikes.com/product/detail/aid:555563

s-l1600 (2).jpg

When I first installed my mirrycle, I tightened everything up very, very tight… So that once I set the mirror in its position, I knew it wouldn't bounce loose. Then I struggled with going through every doorway after that :) Don't know why it took me a few days of that to realize I could loosen one screw a teensy bit, to allow me to rotate the mirror inward towards the bike frame, saving about 3 inches of width on the handlebars when going through doors, yet it would still stay tight enough to not jiggle around while riding. I love it even more now than before :)

Back