Best Hydraulic brake system?

steve mercier

Who rides a heavy laden Ebike in a hilly area and is completely satisfied with their hydraulic brake system? I have Shimano Deoere XT with 180 rotors and want to upgrade . They work perfectly on the flats but do not cut it in the mountains. What have you got that works?

Last edited:
More braking power means more pad surface, going to a 4 piston caliper, and larger rotors to better dissipate heat. Lots of versions and test results around but I’ve heard the TRP 4 piston ones are a good combination of value and performance.

I don't do any serious single track anymore but I still ride some fairly steep trails. I'm 260 and occasionally carry 40# of gear. So far, I've been happy with the Magura MT4E dual piston calipers and Magura Storm 180MM rotors which came stock on my ebike. These Maguras are not top of the line but they perform well on steep descents with no noticeable fade. They can get a bit noisy when wet though. I've got just over 1000 mi. on them now and other than cleaning, they haven't required any maintenance.

Thanks ....I am told I cannot go to 203 rotors with this system. l I could only upgrade the pads and go to Ice tech rotors. I could change everything but it will be double the cost. If the Ice Techs dont cut it ,I will be out a few hundred more ...not sure which way to go. I only know I love the bike on the flats and hate it on the downhills and for 10 mins afterwards until it cools down.

More braking power means more pad surface, going to a 4 piston caliper, and larger rotors to better dissipate heat. Lots of versions and test results around but I’ve heard the TRP 4 piston ones are a good combination of value and performance.

This is really good advice!

I am told I cannot go to 203 rotors with this system.

You can absolutely go with 203mm ICE tech rotors. They just need a new post mount adapter and a new rotor. You just need to talk to a qualified mechanic that knows these things.
Shimano XT brakes also comes in 4-piston version and it's very good.
Keeping 4 pistons up front and 2 pistons in the rear is more than enough unless you are doing heavy nduro or downhill riding.

Check this review: https://singletrackworld.com/2018/07/review-shimanos-powerful-deore-xt-m8020-4-piston-disc-brakes/

"The increase in calliper size also seems to cope better with heat build-up and dissipation, and during the test period, even on on 20+ minute long descents the brakes weren’t affected by heat build up and fade."

Thanks . Now if money was no object what would be your choices for the best complete system upgrade available to handle daily 2000 foot descents?l

Now if money was no object what would be your choices for the best complete system upgrade available to handle daily 2000 foot descents?l

The only you can get better performance is by switching to 4-piston brakes. We just released a new video, perhaps it will help you get some of the nuances.

Few very good 4-piston brakes are

Shimano Saint:

https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-Saint-BR-M820-Disc-Brake

SRAM Code or GUIDE ultimate:

https://www.jensonusa.com/SRAM-Code-RSC-Disc-Brake

Magura MT7:

https://www.jensonusa.com/Magura-MT7-HC-Next-Flip-Flop-Brake

Last edited:
If it were me, I'd try upgrading to 203mm rotors first. I don't believe whoever told you it can't be done. All you need is an inexpensive Shimano adapter and a new rotor. Do the front first, you probably don't need to do the back. You'd be hard pressed to spend more than $50 on the upgrade and it's easy to do yourself. The hardest part is changing the rotor because you might need a special tool, if it's a center lock type. Any dealer should do that for a minimal charge, as it's a 2-minute job. The Deoere XT is a decent brake and unless you're an advanced downhill rider, I think spending the money on a whole new brake system is wasting money.

Funny, I just upgraded the front rotor on my Charger to a 203. And it makes a world of difference on steep spooky downhills. In theory at least the rotors will last longer as well.

This is the adapter you need to upgrade to a 203mm rotor.
https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-F203PPM-Disc-Brake-Adaptor

I currently run the M6000 (which came with the bike) on MTB trails without braking issues (with 180mm rotors). Its possible the brake might need to be re-bleed and new pads. Two ways to tell they do, if the brake lever feels mushy or too light when squeezing. As for the Pads, its a matter of looking at them, if they look thin, then it time to replace them.

If you really think you need more, as suggested get a "Four" piston brake, but I add get something "Downhill/Freeride Specific".

Last edited:
If it were me, I'd try upgrading to 203mm rotors first. I don't believe whoever told you it can't be done. All you need is an inexpensive Shimano adapter and a new rotor. Do the front first, you probably don't need to do the back. You'd be hard pressed to spend more than $50 on the upgrade and it's easy to do yourself. The hardest part is changing the rotor because you might need a special tool, if it's a center lock type. Any dealer should do that for a minimal charge, as it's a 2-minute job. The Deoere XT is a decent brake and unless you're an advanced downhill rider, I think spending the money on a whole new brake system is wasting money.
It is not entirely about downill trails. I live in a very hilly area and what bugs me is the overheating and warping and subsequent behavior on long descents lasting several minutes. The chart that shows stopping time would be more usefull to me if it had a column that measured the effects of many repetitions in quick succession. I want to descend 2000 feet down an asphalt road from a ski hill, without the brakes subtracting greatly from the pleasure . I have 4k on these Deore XT ,s and they are quite fine on the flats or small grades, but I am willing to pay extra for the joy of the descent.

This is the adapter you need to upgrade to a 203mm rotor.
https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-F203PPM-Disc-Brake-Adaptor

I currently run the M6000 (which came with the bike) on MTB trails without braking issues (with 180mm rotors). Its possible the brake might need to be re-bleed and new pads. Two ways to tell they do, if the brake lever feels mushy or too light when squeezing. As for the Pads, its a matter of looking at them, if they look thin, then it time to replace them.

If you really think you need more, as suggested get a piston brake, but I add get something "Downhill/Freeride Specific".
thank you

It is not entirely about downill trails. I live in a very hilly area and what bugs me is the overheating and warping and subsequent behavior on long descents lasting several minutes. The chart that shows stopping time would be more usefull to me if it had a column that measured the effects of many repetitions in quick succession. I want to descend 2000 feet down an asphalt road from a ski hill, without the brakes subtracting greatly from the pleasure . I have 4k on these Deore XT ,s and they are quite fine on the flats or small grades, but I am willing to pay extra for the joy of the descent.

I noticed on my reply I forgot to write "four" in person brakes.

But at 4k miles, sounds like its time to do some brake maintenance (rebleed & pad check), do the maintenance first, it might save you a bit of money before buying new brakes. Though you don't believe you're doing tradition downhilling, technically you are. The term when it comes to riding bikes IMO, if you're doing a lot of decending, then you need the brakes for the job (whether if its asphalt or dirt, smooth or bumpy), but you did take a ski-lift = downhilling in my book...

I noticed on my reply I forgot to write "four" in person brakes.

But at 4k miles, sounds like its time to do some brake maintenance (rebleed & pad check), do the maintenance first, it might save you a bit of money before buying new brakes. Though you don't believe you're doing tradition downhilling, technically you are. The term when it comes to riding bikes IMO, if you're doing a lot of decending, then you need the brakes for the job (whether if its asphalt or dirt, smooth or bumpy), but you did take a ski-lift = downhilling in my book...[/QUOT OK , I had not considered bleeding the brakes, thanks.

Funny, I just upgraded the front rotor on my Charger to a 203. And it makes a world of difference on steep spooky downhills. In theory at least the rotors will last longer as well.
Thanks ,OK then I will try that first ( at another bike store )for sure this week! THANKS MR Coffee and RIchard, I do not know why the Trek store mechanic said they would not fit but he was clearly wrong!

Last edited:
Back