Best fast, comfortable bike for commuting/touring, under $4000

ant11

Region
USA
I'll be using my bike for commuting and touring on both flat and hilly terrain. My budget is $4000.

I'm looking for the following features, in roughly descending order of necessity:
  • Top speed of at least 25 mph
  • Upright seating position
  • Mid-drive motor
  • Throttle up to 20mph
  • Swept-back handlebars
  • Approximately 2.4" tire width
  • Step-through frame

Bikes I'm considering:

RadCity 5 Plus ST $2000
+ Affordable (though they recently raised the price)
+ Local dealers
- Hub motor
- Only 25mph max

Rize City MD $2600
+ Relatively affordable

Sondors Cruiser $3000
+ Powerful
- Heavy
- 3" tires

Dost Drop $3200
+ Powerful
- Straight handlebars

Specialized Turbo Como 3.0 $3250
Also has version 4.0/5.0 for increased price
+ Local dealers
- No throttle
- Doesn't have as much torque as others

Priority Current $3500
+ Powerful
- No throttle
- Straight handlebars

If you could encourage, or discourage, me from choosing one of these bikes, or if you could recommend something I haven't considered, that would be extremely helpful. Thank you.

One other for your consideration, Zen Ebikes Shakti, when it becomes available sometime this year it is said to be priced around $2500, offers a quick release on the hub motor axle which is helpful when changing inner tubes, smart BMS so you can check the battery level on your phone while charging, air suspension fork, torque PAS sensor plus throttle, Deore 10-speed 11-42 wide range cassette, 3-yr warranty on the large 750wh battery. Currently on pre-order. It’s been interesting reading about the development of these models on the Zen forum.

Last edited:
If you are willing to forego throttle there are lot more options with quality middrive motors. Couple brands to consider are Moustache Xroad 2 or 3 with performanceline sport 65nm 28mph motor. While cutoff is 28mph, will need lot effort to maintain that speed. Open frame isn't true crossover but has more powerful 85nm 28MPH motor and better forks. These bikes will take Jonny Watt 2.35 tires (on my xroad 2) and maybe 2.4 Super Moto X( not tested). Excellent commuters and long range tourers capable of some offroad exploring.
Cube also has good range of bikes with varies builds.
Most tourers and commuters come with very average forks. The Suntour Mobie on my Xroad 5 is considerable better on small bumps than XCM on wifes Xroad 2. Worth looking at upgrading no matter what bike you buy.

look at s pedelec which have a max assist speed of 28 after that it's not a true ebike. Also keep in mind that does mean it won't go over 28 just means it's you at that point. Also don't get hung up on the whole throttle thing

Comfortable is a personal consideration. What's comfortable for one person is not at all comfortable for you. Definitely ride a fat bike before buying one. For me, they are the military truck of bicycles. Noisy with a ton of rolling resistance. Buy something with a tire width around 2.4" and not a knobby for commuting.

Gazelle medeo 10+ is an excellent choice with top quality parts that exude quality a d craftsmanship. It also has the advantage of adding a 2nd battery if you have extra long commutes.

Gazelle medeo 10+ is an excellent choice with top quality parts that exude quality a d craftsmanship. It also has the advantage of adding a 2nd battery if you have extra long commutes.

I had looked at the Gazelle Medeo. Do you know if the seating position is comfortable for commuting? It's described on their website as "sporty".

I had looked at the Gazelle Medeo. Do you know if the seating position is comfortable for commuting? It's described on their website as "sporty".
Yes, it has an adjustable stem so you can move bars back and higher if you like. The position is a cross between straight up and more prone. it was actually designed as a commuter bike. The quality of the bike and components is nothing short of excellent. Gazelle is built in the netherlands and has been in business for 150 years building only bikes. If you‘ve been to Amsterdam you know how prevalent bikes are in that country. Not a china import but hand built in europe by craftsman. All the reviews for it are excellent which is why I bought one. I’d recommend buying the medeo t-10+ which is what I have. It’s has the top of the line bosch 4th gen performance line speed system and better brakes. I’ve been more than pleased with it.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 1489F86F-B22F-4976-8782-0E5A5BF5289B.png
    1489F86F-B22F-4976-8782-0E5A5BF5289B.png
    549.7 KB · Views: 232
I'll be using my bike for commuting and touring on both flat and hilly terrain. My budget is $4000.

I'm looking for the following features, in roughly descending order of necessity:
  • Mid-drive motor
  • Throttle up to 20mph
  • Swept-back handlebars
  • Step-through frame

Bikes I'm considering:

RadCity 5 Plus ST $2000
+ Local dealers
- Hub motor
- Only 25mph max

Rize City MD $2600
+ Relatively affordable

Sondors Cruiser $3000
+ Powerful
- Heavy
- 3" tires

Dost Drop $3200
+ Powerful
- Straight handlebars

+ Local dealers
- No throttle

Priority Current $3500
+ Powerful
- No throttle
- Straight handlebars

If you could encourage, or discourage, me from choosing one of these bikes, or if you could recommend something I haven't considered, that would be extremely helpful. Thank you.
The handlebar requirement should not be a problem as 25 bucks can solve it nicely. I have put these on my wifes bike. https://www.upanbike.com/collections/bike-handlebar/products/handlebar-b178

Maybe you should do research before you speak next time….
Yes and Moustache bikes are "assembled" in France. Nevertheless many component parts are "manufactured" in China so what does the term "made" really mean? Also I think you really need to test ride a few of those bikes to find out how diverse that group really is.

Last edited:
Yes and Moustache bikes are "assembled" in France. Nevertheless many component parts are "manufactured" in China so what does the term "made" really mean? Also I think you really need to test ride a few of those bikes to find out how diverse that group really is.
I’d guess shimano stuff is made in china but bosch stuff is made in hungary and frames are made in the netherlands. There is likely no bike 100% non china made due to what parts are needed but the gazelle has a way higher non china content then most and it’s built in the netherlands.

And you are right , there are many choices and not one bike fits all. I’m sharing my experiences with this model. Like me, do your research and decide what best fits your need.

Take a look at the Evelo Omega or Aurora Limited. I see they have raised their prices up to $4200, but otherwise meets all your req's.

Take a look at the Evelo Omega or Aurora Limited. I see they have raised their prices up to $4200, but otherwise meets all your req's.
Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't considered this brand. Their bikes look great, but unfortunately they're out of my budget. Seems like many companies have raised their prices significantly this year.

Here are some mid drive, step thru, with higher top speed ebikes.

Thanks for the suggestions. I particularly like the Biktrix Juggernaut Classic Duo. The Eunoaru Specter is a little expensive so I was also looking at the Eunorau FAT-HD. All of these bikes also have the options for narrower tires, instead of the 4" ones that come by default.

Do you have any experience with the riding position of any of these bikes? They all seem fairly sporty/mtb-focused which might not match my use case.

• Mid-drive motor
  • Throttle up to 20mph
  • Swept-back handlebars
  • Step-through frame

Bikes I'm considering:

RadCity 5 Plus ST $2000
+ Local dealers
- Hub motor
- Only 25mph max

Rize City MD $2600
+ Relatively affordable

Sondors Cruiser $3000
+ Powerful
- Heavy
- 3" tires

Dost Drop $3200
+ Powerful
- Straight handlebars

+ Local dealers
- No throttle

Priority Current $3500
+ Powerful
- No throttle
- Straight handlebars

Those are pretty well known lists of bikes so customer support should be at least available.

An the other hand , if you have average mechanical tendencies, you can pick a kit with the exact parameters you want and not waste money on "extra features" in pre-builts.
Plus and this is a BIG plus, you can get everything you want for well under $1000 with a geared hub motor but considerably more cash AND complexity with a mid-drive.
You can use the 2-4 k savings to get a nicer suspended frame, all the add on you would want AND an insurance policy against theft !
Dont forget the feeling of accomplishment when you build your own!

Not weighing in on your choice itself, but just wanted to add that if you're a Costco member you can likely get the Current for cheaper. Regarding the upright position, the adjustable stem helps a lot + buying a new handlebar with more rise is fairly cheap and easy to swap out.

Back