Online companies vs the Established bike manufacturers

Yeah but he wasn't talking about laptops...
Who uses a desktop PC nowadays? Connect a wireless keyboard and mouse to a laptop, a big monitor via HDMI, and off you go!
The times have really changed.
E-bikes too.

1650305537636.png

Where is the PC?

Who uses a desktop PC nowadays? Connect a wireless keyboard and mouse to a laptop, a big monitor via HDMI, and off you go!
E-bikes too.
Not me, Chromebooks and Android phones here. Google OS is great. I don't even use a mouse anymore, I can do everything on the trackpad that I can do with a mouse.

E-bikes too.

Where is the PC?
Who uses a desktop? Are you trying to flaunt your ignorance?
Maybe you've never done video editing?
Right now I'm using a Surface Book Pro - a great machine for travel, surfing the internet, email and such. But it's a terrible machine for video editing, especially 4K (you do know what that is? :) ). My desktop, OTOH, I designed for video and photo editing - fast PCIe 4.0 SSD, humongous media storage drive, fast video card picked for video rendering, dual photo monitors etc.
But I knew what I needed. The same thing applies to DIY ebikes - if you know what you need, and know what you're doing, by all means build your own. But I didn't, so I bought a Trek, and a year later, I'd do the same.

Right now I'm using a Surface Book Pro - a great machine for travel, surfing the internet, email and such. But it's a terrible machine for video editing, especially 4K (you do know what that is? :) ). My desktop, OTOH, I designed for video and photo editing - fast PCIe 4.0 SSD, humongous media storage drive, fast video card picked for video rendering, dual photo monitors etc.
But I knew what I needed. The same thing applies to DIY ebikes - if you know what you need, and know what you're doing, by all means build your own. But I didn't, so I bought a Trek, and a year later, I'd do the same.
I would not use a DIY PC for 4K video processing. There are big Macs, specifically made for the purpose. And tell Apple that you have the "right to repair" :)

I only use desk tops they last far longer but I don't do anything serious. odo light cad work on one at work run a cnc router with the other have a imac at home and watch shows on my old ipad while using the imac.

I would not use a DIY PC for 4K video processing. There are big Macs, specifically made for the purpose. And tell Apple that you have the "right to repair" :)
Of course you wouldn't. That's your choice, based on your knowledge, skill and comfort zone. Just like with bikes! The thing is, my DIY PC's parts cost about $1500, whereas the "big Macs" (I presume you mean a mac pro) cost 3-4X that, and won't even be as fast.
Look, I bought an Apple mac style bike, it's called a Trek. I did because a bike issue for me is a bigger deal than a computer issue. (not to say that DIY bikes are less reliable - IDK, I just don't want to take the risk.)

Meanwhile the OP considers a Priority Current. Neither an online nor premium brand ebike

Apple fan boy too, makes so much sense. Your consumer habits are an odd juxtaposition with your 'punkness' though, how do you reconcile those contradictions?

Hi, Haystacks. Taken your pills yet?
Samsung and Xiaomi here. With no right to repair, either. I'd like to see a DIY smartphone.

Meanwhile the OP considers a Priority Current. Neither an online nor premium brand ebike
It came into the equation because though costco it costs 2500$ for a belt drive. That is 2000$ cheaper than the equivalent Gazelle bike. So had me intrigued.
I am also considering ride1up prodigy XR too which is a well known online brand and at half the price of Turbo Vado

You're such a closed minded asshole... If you don't do it, no one else has any reason to.
With no intended disrespect to the referenced member, on another forum I frequent I have commented that if [Polish immigrant member] doesn't agree, it can't be correct. FYI, I am not biased against the Poles; I am of Polish descent.

It came into the equation because though costco it costs 2500$ for a belt drive. That is 2000$ cheaper than the equivalent Gazelle bike. So had me intrigued.
Guess where the difference comes from.
I don't mind what your choice is. You will learn down the road.

Last edited:
With no intended disrespect to the referenced member, on another forum I frequent I have commented that if [Polish immigrant member] doesn't agree, it can't be correct. FYI, I am not biased against the Poles; I am of Polish descent.
I do not think the nationality/citizenship/descent play any role there. It is rather a conflict between throttle-riders and cyclists :)

I do not think the nationality/citizenship/descent play any role there. It is rather a conflict between throttle-riders and cyclists :)
Well maybe in very small part.
You see in poland they are not allowed to have a throttle.. therefore they have no idea how most use it. This is done by their government for good reason as trying to manage pedaling and a throttle is just too much for most of the population... the ol' ability to walk and chew gum at the same time scenario at play here. This is also why they are restricted to 1 donkey power (250w)
For example when I ride my throttle equipped 750w Bafang BBSO2B on a typical 2 hour ride... I can honestly say that I use my throttle strategically (mostly to protect my knees) for <15 seconds.
So how adding motor and still being able to call yourself cyclist, yet riding by throttle for 0.20% of time automatically changes you to a throttle rider is ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well maybe in very small part.
You see in poland they are not allowed to have a throttle.. therefore they have no idea how most use it. This is done by their government for good reason as trying to manage pedaling and a throttle is just too much for most of the population... the ol' ability to walk and chew gum at the same time scenario at play here. This is also why they are restricted to 1 donkey power (250w)
For example when I ride my throttle equipped 750w Bafang BBSO2B on a typical 2 hour ride... I can honestly say that I use my throttle strategically (mostly to protect my knees) for <15 seconds.
So how adding motor and still being able to call yourself cyclist, yet riding by throttle for 0.20% of time automatically changes you to a throttle rider is about as ridiculously funny as most polish jokes.
Then again in America a throttle is making people just have bike shaped mopeds. Cause a ebike is jsut another form of car.

Back