Battery starting to fail?

PCeBiker if you added a 14th 21700 cell to each of your five existing groups you do know you would need to use a 52v charger to get 100% charge.
52v chargers max out at 58.8v
48v chargers max out at 54.6v.

If I ever bought a 52 volt battery, I'd charge it to 54.6 to bring the cell voltage down to 3.9 volts to extend the life of the battery pack.

I don't want tons of power or speed.
I want my battery to last forever. 😂

Another thing to remember is you need to change out an older Bafang controller and the version you have is for 48v and your using a 52v battery do not I repeat do not replace it with another 48v unit you need to use a 52v unit or it won’t work plus you will get an error code until the voltage on the battery drops to below 54.6v
Ther is a fix for this online but it requires a PC and downloading software and replacing the hard drive on the 48v version to the 52v version.
Dont ask me how I know.

Yeah, I'm aware that 60 volt capacitors are the norm and 58.8 volts doesn't have enough headroom.

@Ravi Kempaiah is actually working with Bafang to make a 52 volt mid drive motor that uses 80 volt capacitors.

EDIT: It's not Bafang, it's Ananda.

Last edited:
That’s great for Biktrix but the current fleet family of Bafang motors won’t accept 80v.
Difference in liscensing legally on top of that, in the US that is, I would imagine our neighbor to the north would have the same issue, but hey what do I know.
I have battery’s that I made 6 years ago still charging to their max capacity and performing like they did when I first put them together.
If a battery fails it won’t be because you charged it at 100%.
Get it wet so moisture gets inside that’s a problem.
Plug it into a lower voltage charger and your fine to you just won’t have very decent range as you will drop off about 40% or so.

More volts = more amps= more heat. that’s the limite
Plus the larger mosfets are gonna take up more room unless you do like Grin does and keep the controller seperate from the motor. There’s wisdom in that as well.

It’s not the size of the caps that limit the voltage.

Ther is a fix for this online but it requires a PC and downloading software and replacing the hard drive on the 48v version to the 52v version.

I don't understand?

Are you saying the ebike or the battery actually has a harddrive?

Dont ask me how I know.

I don't want to know.
I hate software and all the hard drives that harbor it. 😂

Just sayin that Bafang builds their motors for 60v max and yes ALL components have to be rated for whatever voltage is being applied.
More volts, probably higher amps, more heat, larger devices to disapate that heat, but enough of that.

A motor controller has firmware installed on it to perform a specific sequenced of operation with different sensors providing feedback so adjustments can be made accordingly.
My buddy has a BBSHD motor and we figured out that the controller was caput.
It is an older motor that was rated at 48v for both the motor and controller and in the past those same units would play just fine with a 52v battery system like they always have.
About a year ago Bafang made firmware restrictions in the controller and made them ”volts specific” for 48v or 52v depending on your battery supply.
I ordered a 48v version not knowing about the changes from GBK over across the big pond and when it finally arrived and I dropped it in it powered up fine and didn’t think twice about it.

I got a call from him a few days later saying he’s recieving an ERROR code on the screen and it won’t run.
Did some research and that’s when I discovered my error in ordering a 48v controller for a 52v system.
So….
It initially ran fine because his battery was about 50% at the time of the install so it was UNDER the max threshold of that unit ( probably 54.6v) and then after he charged it up all the way (58.8v) it saw the error.
So 2 choices either send it back possibly and order the correct voltage version or fix this one somehow.
Looked around on-line and saw a few places, (Biktrix being on of the and I think Cal E bikes being the other) that had replaceable firmware upgrade to change the 48v unit to A 52v.
Plugged in my PC and hooked up the controller to my usb cable I use for reprogramming the bafang motors connected up a battery and went to work.
There is a specific sequence to follow to erase and rewrite the program on those controllers and if I remember correctly the Biktrix version kept giving me an error code and wouldn’t work.
But the one from cal e bike worked just fine.
I had my fingers crossed the whole time and it came out fine.
Exept….
What it did was load up the “current” version of their “stock” programming for that series motor which restricted it somewhat from the original “hot rod” version he got from Luna.
This is where I made a judgement call. I like my buddy for the most part but I won’t ride a bike with him.
He’s an urban street rider only and rides way to fast, no courtesy, runs stop signs, probably lights to if he can get by with it and in general is a hazard to anyone around him.
So I did not adjust the parameters on any of the values that it came with to give him more power than he had.
So yeah there is a workaround for the controllers if you get the wrong one but it’s a bit of apain.

My buddy has a BBSHD motor and we figured out that the controller was caput.

That's what I like about hub motors.
There's no programming in the motor itself.

My cadence sensing hub drive ebike came with crappy software that had almost on/off power for both the throttle and PAS modes.

Rather than having to figure out how to hack the programming in the controller, I just simply removed it and the display, and installed a KT controller/display in its place.

Now I can set my controller to less than 100 Watts, and 3 km/hr or crank it up over 1200 Watts to climb hills.

I find it easier to wrap my head around the simple wiring of a hub motor and learning the simple programming of the controller through the display.
No computers involved.

If something doesn't work or blows up, it's my fault, not a software glitch.

My only problem was learning to read Chinglish.
It's not my native tongue. 😂

Back