Battery replacement years from now ...

Noob here. Because I'm hoping to use my future Evo (Jet or Cross) on a daily 24m commute for years to come, I expect I will have to replace the battery periodically (2-3 years?). The BH battery cases are designed to blend into the frames, so how long might BH manufacture batteries for a given line? Once they stop, is it practically feasible to just have the cells replaced within an old battery case, so that I'm not stuck once BH decides to stop making batteries for my specific bike? Just trying to get some idea of the true long-term cost of owning one of these bikes.

I have a 2013 and 2014 Neo bike. All in all both bikes have ridden about 8000 kms. The batteries are as good as new. Both top speed and range are as when the bikes were new. You can get a proffesional battery company to repack your battery once it is worn out. I expect mine to last for at least three more years.

@Peter, do you have a special voltage testing tool of any kind? Some use Cycle Assist. Just curious what you have to test.

@Peter, do you have a special voltage testing tool of any kind? Some use Cycle Assist. Just curious what you have to test.
No. I have just adjusted the spped on the LCD display with a gps. My top speed was around 30 kmh when the bike was new and this is still the case. I did a range test in boost when the bike was new. 83 kms before the battery depleted. I still get high range on both my batteries. Check my other post about range record

I've seen your range records (and watched all your videos too, btw). You certainly make the most of a 250w motor, that's for sure!

You can get a proffesional battery company to repack your battery once it is worn out.
Thanks. Any leads on such companies? I wonder if any would be willing to deal with BH's case design.

Side question: How does BH deal with battery replacement in general? Do customers send in their batteries to be repacked?

I sent an email to BH asking these questions, and will share any response I get.

We have an Easy Motion company representative who occasionally visits EBR.

His name is Nate and his handle is Undercover Brother. To tag any user on a message add the '@' in front of their username. Then they'll get an alert when they log on to EBR and will be able to quickly & easily see the post in which they have been tagged.

Wonder if that company could, for instance, take an existing EVO battery pack (which is only 12ah) and turn it into something like 15ah - 17ah. Now wouldn't that be an interesting project...

Here is the response I got from BH:
As of now, we will continue to provide batteries for our bikes for the upcoming years. Replacement batteries will be available as long as the demand continues.

The entire battery must be replaced if needed. We do not do any cell replacement. An alternative solution will be put in place if a battery model comes discontinued.

That puts my mind at ease, especially considering how long BH has been around.

@PowerMe, RPE can upgrade the cells within a pack for some batteries, but not all. Don't know what determines whether that is doable or not, but it will still cost $$ since the battery management system might need replacing too. The electronics all have to be able to talk to each other! If your battery was really in the dirt it might be worth the expense or if there were bad cells that required replacing that might be a good time to do the upgrade. RPE is going to have you ship them the battery anyway to assess what work needs to be done. It's nice to have options :)

Back