Bafang's 5-Speed Automatic IGH

PedalUma

Region
USA
City
Petaluma, CA
Bafang has a five-speed automatically shifting rear internally geared hub that looks interesting. It can be run with either a belt or an extra-strong single speed chain, so that a bike would not require a belt specific frame.
1681774665851.png

See details here:

Well that's interesting. I wonder if it will up shift with a load on the gears? Also, they talk about a cable on the left. Wonder what that's about? Suggested shifter/control?

Bafang has a five-speed automatically shifting rear internally geared hub that looks interesting. It can be run with either a belt or an extra-strong single speed chain, so that a bike would not require a belt specific frame.
View attachment 151902
See details here:
Are we going to start seeing the Espins, Lectrics, Ride 1 Ups et al offering these automatic rear hub bikes?

5 gears and 316% ratio is something usable! They used to have 3 gears and 166%, which was not really much useful. Anyone knows what "automatic shifting" means here? Is it cadence based? Is desired cadence configurable?

Wasn't this announced something like a year ago? Still no sign of them in the market unless that has changed? Has a low torque rating. I forget what exactly but you can google up some press releases I'm sure. At time of release there were some rumors that higher torque models were in the works and release was imminent. In Bafang time thats a couple more years.

The Ultra motor was almost a unicorn for its first couple of years. I'm guessing it will take quite some time for these to filter out into the market.

Oh, It is designed for the European market. That's why the spec is weak for US riders and most of us have not seen these. 80Nm and 20 mph for the three speed. I am still not sure how it works. It could very well be cadence. As when you slow pedaling speed it down shifts?

Back