Bafang DPC-18 Ebike Display Settings

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys, while reviewing some of the EVELO models in Seattle recently, I was able to spend some time digging into the Bafang DPC-18 LCD display and control pad and wanted to share some of the deeper settings. This display is not removable, but it does swivel to reduce glare. It does have a USB port to charge portable electronic devices and the screen is color vs. black and white grayscale like most others I've tested. The remote button pad is extremely easy to reach and the trigger throttle is responsive and smooth. The plus and minus keys deliver tactile clicks and the main power button is rubberized so you can feel your way around without having to look down. This display may be found on purpose built ebikes as well as conversion kits.

Other details:
  • Buttons: Plus, Minus, i (Information), Lights, Power
  • Readouts: Clock, Battery Percentage and Precision Infographic, Speedometer (MPH or KM/H), Power Output (Watts), Trip Distance, Total Distance (Odometer), Average Speed, Maximum Speed, Range Estimate, Calories Burned, Trip Timer, Assist Level (0-5)
  • Full sized USB Type A charging port built into the base
  • Ambient light sensor built in to auto-adjust brightness based on surroundings
  • Double tap the i (Information) button to enter settings menu
  • Settings menus include: Units, Brightness, Auto-Off Timer, Pedal Assist Levels (3, 5, or 9), Power View (Power in Watts or Current), State of Charge View (Percentage or Voltage), Trip Reset, Wheel Size, Speed Limit, AL Sensitivity (Ambient Light), Password, Set Clock
  • Other Settings menus include Battery Information and Error Codes to help shops and manufacturers with troubleshooting and warranty
Pros: Large and easy to read, centrally mounted on most ebikes. The colorization makes interpreting different menus quick and intuitive. Battery percentage provides much more precision than a five or ten bar infographic. I love that the display mount has a full sized USB port built into the base, so you can maintain or charge portable electronics directly from the high capacity ebike battery.

Cons: Not removable, can take damage from sunlight, rain, and physical contact at crowded bike racks. May require more energy than a grayscale LCD and probably costs more. The color readouts could be distracting and unwanted for some users and the screen is super shiny and reflective vs. muted out.

bafang-dpc-18-ebike-display-guide-manual.jpgbafang-dpc-18-electric-bike-display-closeup.jpg

The official Bafang website lists some of their display panel specifications at: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Attachments

• bafang-dpc18-display-user-manual.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 4,314
Hello.. The Bafang Full Color displays: 500c, 750c, 850c, DCP-18 are impossible to see in the sunlight. This is where we ride our ebikes. Unless you want to pull into the shade or bring the ebike indoors, you won't be able to see your critical information like: speed, odo, battery level, watts etc... Those all work great at night... but let's face it. We don't ride at night. I wish Bafang would give us a black and white model with watts, speed, PAS Level, etc that is visible for day use.

Hello.. The Bafang Full Color displays: 500c, 750c, 850c, DCP-18 are impossible to see in the sunlight. This is where we ride our ebikes. Unless you want to pull into the shade or bring the ebike indoors, you won't be able to see your critical information like: speed, odo, battery level, watts etc... Those all work great at night... but let's face it. We don't ride at night. I wish Bafang would give us a black and white model with watts, speed, PAS Level, etc that is visible for day use.

Right, and the DPC-14 should be included, it's discusting. KT can do it, the KT-LCD8H is the best display available now.

Feliz... is the KT-LCD8H Compatible with a Bafang and a 52v battery system..? The specs i see online show a different pin connector. and is limited to 36v or 48v. There is no information if it has a wattage consumption meter or a voltage meter. Do you know what type of display this is, that can be seen in bright sunlight..?
Not very much English information on the specifications. thanks for the post. Robb

Feliz... is the KT-LCD8H Compatible with a Bafang and a 52v battery system..? The specs i see online show a different pin connector. and is limited to 36v or 48v. There is no information if it has a wattage consumption meter or a voltage meter. Do you know what type of display this is, that can be seen in bright sunlight..?
Not very much English information on the specifications. thanks for the post. Robb

Robb, I use two of these displays and the visibility is excellent, the difference between this display and the Bafang units is amazing. My bikes are all 48V and the displays work fine and my understanding is they work with 52V. It shows voltage, wattage, motor temp on my BBSHD motors, ambient temp, etc but no accumulated wattage. It only works with a KT controller ( in my experience) but works with my Bafang motors. The pin connectors are the same but reversed, I order mine from a Chinese supplier who attached any connector requested. These gauges are available with a 35 amp controller from Bolton as an upgrade for the Radrover which uses a Bafang rear hub motor and MAY work on other bikes. My 500 watt Radrover now draws 1500 watts after installing this upgrade. Oh, it comes with the correct connectors. Good luck.

Thanks.. very interesting. I really need the Wattage consumption reading to monitor my solar e-trike system.

Wanted to add a quick note to this, i have this display and it does not have the same advanced settings screen as this evelo bike

my guess is there are different softwares for some of the dpc18 displays- i am even finding 3 different manuals for this display with different settings listed
this is the s*it that annoys me with bafang grrrrrr

mine has no factory reset
and has 5 levels of pedal assist in eco and 5 levels in sport, this is a major hassle because the bafang programming software uses 9 levels of pas on the screen and we dont know exactly how to match it

the evelo video above shows different available settings for pas, 3 5 9 which is normal on bafang displays from what i have seen before....

mine only gives eco or sport?.....

anyone know if you can change the software in the displays? How to do it?

will post a pic of my advanced settings page just for reference

here is my dpc 18 display

Attachments

• F558FE5F-3D5B-45C2-8E46-A6806D28C9E5.jpeg
    F558FE5F-3D5B-45C2-8E46-A6806D28C9E5.jpeg
    220.6 KB · Views: 4,593
It does have a USB port to charge portable electronic devices
Court, do you test USB power ports? I bought a cheap USB "meter" and found that some are kinda flaky. Flaky enough power surges to damage a device. I don't think it terribly common but I've seen a couple of incidents.
USB POWER METERS
this is the s*it that annoys me with bafang grrrrrr
Welcome to my daily life...

wanted to update this, on another forum someone pointed out the evelo delta has a bbs02 which I did not realize

so far the dcp-18 displays on ultra bikes I have found do not have the 9 levels of pas that matches the programming software
they all have eco and sport
maybe someone with an excess bike can chime in
although since their controller is different maybe the display is too...

frey and biktrix from what I can tell use the eco/sport dcp18

wanted to update this, on another forum someone pointed out the evelo delta has a bbs02 which I did not realize

so far the dcp-18 displays on ultra bikes I have found do not have the 9 levels of pas that matches the programming software
they all have eco and sport
maybe someone with an excess bike can chime in
although since their controller is different maybe the display is too...

frey and biktrix from what I can tell use the eco/sport dcp18

One of the reasons I went for an EggRider - you can set it up to 10 levels of PAS if you want.

wanted to update this

someone pointed me to eunorau and they have the dcp18 with the 9 levels of pas, I ordered it a couple of days ago

according to their website the eco/sport model is the old one and the new ones are coming with 9 levels pas...

they quickly confirmed with me by email that they will send me 9 levels pas

will update this when it gets here this coming week

wanted to update this

someone pointed me to eunorau and they have the dcp18 with the 9 levels of pas, I ordered it a couple of days ago

according to their website the eco/sport model is the old one and the new ones are coming with 9 levels pas...

Thanks!! I wished everyone followed up with solutions! It's how we all learn!! Good on you!

Totally agree with that
Very annoying when people on any forums don’t follow through with what did or did not work

Hi rawB

New to this so I have nothing to compare it to as this is the only display I've ever seen... but the 860 color display can be seen clearly in bright sunlight. I believe this is the only display with a gorilla glass screen... but I'm not positive.
Two pics are of the screen facing the sun with brightness set to 1and then 5 on a cloudless day and mid day sun. Photos aren't the best representation as the camera adjust light to what's in the frame... but it'll give you some idea.

I'm more than happy with it set to 3.

ps... I'll add that I still have the factory shipping film on the screen. I'll peel it off this weekend when I get a chance to fit some old phone screen protectors I have laying around to it.

update 5/28... I did have to bump the display to brightness level 4 when riding with polarized sunglasses.

IMAG0093.jpg
IMAG0095.jpg

Last edited:
[QUOTE = "Feliz, post: 199574, lid: 20521"]
Robb, ik gebruik twee van deze displays en de zichtbaarheid is uitstekend, het verschil tussen dit display en de Bafang-units is verbluffend. Mijn fietsen zijn allemaal 48V en de displays werken prima en ik heb begrepen dat ze werken met 52V. Het toont spanning, wattage, motortemp op mijn BBSHD-motoren, omgevingstemperatuur, enz. Maar geen geaccumuleerd wattage. Het werkt alleen met een KT-controller (in mijn ervaring) maar werkt met mijn Bafang-motoren. De pinconnectoren zijn hetzelfde maar omgekeerd, ik bestel de mijne bij een Chinese leverancier die de gevraagde connector heeft aangesloten. Deze meters zijn verkrijgbaar met een 35 amp controller van Bolton als upgrade voor de Radrover die een Bafang achternaafmotor gebruikt en KAN werken op andere fietsen. Mijn 500 watt Radrover trekt nu 1500 watt na het installeren van deze upgrade. Oh, het wordt geleverd met de juiste connectoren. Succes.
[/CITAAT]

ik heb ook zo'n upgrade kit van Bolton voor mijn europese radrhino met achternaaf motor 750w, maar alles werkt behalve het scherm kt-lcd 8hu, de powerknop verschijnt het scherm gaat aan maar zodra ik de powerknop loslaat meteen uit, dus kan nu nog niks .
Met de originele kingmeter gaat die aan en alles doet het alleen krijg ik op een 1min ong error30 code, denk omdat de 35amp cotroller niet helemaal goed kan met de kingmeter ....
Dus de fout zit in het scherm denk ik, ben geen elektro man dus als iemand iets weet wat het nu kan zijn van fout ....
Heb een 48v batterij en 52v volt bij de e-bike....

wanted to update this

Saved me some major hassle there thank you 👍

here is my dpc 18 display
the doc-18 will not hold a PAS settings. Feedback please

It will not stay in a chosen PAS level after the speed indicator on the display drops to "zero", then PAS will drop down to "zero" and you have to manually hit the PAS buttons to get it PAS to go back to the level you want.

Have you played with the programming cable on a computer or are you running stock settings? Do you have a programming cable?

Back