Bafang and torque sensing

Katysax

It is sometimes hard to do research because products change but old info persists. Am I correct in understanding that as of today - mid August 2019 - Bafang makes a motor with torque sensing for purpose-built bikes but not for adding to an existing bike. Is there an aftermarket torque sensor for a bbs02 or bbshd? I know there is a Tongsheng motor, but what about bafang?

Last edited:
Is there an aftermarket torque sensor for a bbs02 or bbshd? I know there is a Tongsheng motor, but what about bafang?

No. Some ex-Bafang engineers built a very similar looking to a BBS02 motor at LingBei that was supposed to be torque sensing but in reality didn't hit that mark.

The ultra is torque sensing, Bafang's best motor. Some of their newer motors also have torque sensing, I can't remember all the newer motor's names but for sure the BBS01, 02, and HD are not.

None of the BBSxx series has torque sensing. The motors listed above need a purpose-built frame to fit in. After 5 years of riding, BBSxx fitted bikes and trying the TSDZ2, I've come to like my BBSxx performance. But I support kits and definitely have a preference.

I had the chance this weekend to try some bikes with torque sensing. It left me with the impression that torque sensing is over hyped. I’ll probably just go ahead and use the bbs02 or bbshd. The cadence sensing, which is what I am accustomed to, feels a little better to me.

In my opinion torque sensors are definitely worth it if they are tuned correctly for a given setup. The latest Bafang programming software has a Torque Settings page where these parameters can be adjusted. So, ideally, you'd build the bike and then tune the torque sensor. Also, some bike builders tune their torque sensing systems and others don't. I know my Biktrix Juggernaut (which has the Ultra motor) comes pre-tuned and the ride is noticeably better than a non-torque sensing system.

I had the chance this weekend to try some bikes with torque sensing. It left me with the impression that torque sensing is over hyped. I’ll probably just go ahead and use the bbs02 or bbshd. The cadence sensing, which is what I am accustomed to, feels a little better to me.

There is no shame in that. Doing what feels best is always good.

Good to know Roshan has done that! Definitely one of the best small line of eBikes out there.
I agree with one of the best out there . I am looking to buy a dual suspension fat bike with a small type frame but no luck yet . The only thing thats keeping me from buying one of these now is the battery . I cant stand an exposed battery like that . I know , I'm weird ! lol

Last edited:
Back