Bafang 750-Watt Mid-Drive Conversion Kit Review & Installation Overview

Ennovation

Region
USA

Hello, my friends! Today we're looking at a recently installed mid-drive conversion kit. We talk with our resident expert, AKA "Also Mitch", and discuss the process, considerations, extra tools, and challenges to overcome when working with a mid-drive conversion.

mid-drive conversion kit vs. hub motor install installation questions concerns things to consider battery 48 volt 750 watt middrive dahon folding electric bike ebike e-bike conversion review bafang

Last edited:
Oh well, everyone is a critic. I'll take my shots. He picked a good frame to build on, with Dahon, Some of these no-name folders, you gotta think about frame integrity, especially with mid drive speeds. I heard those brakes howling. I don't know much about Dahons, but I think if he's willing to get a 100mm front wheel (Dahon is 82mm?), he could upgrade to a new fork with disk brake up front.

Maybe a black stem for the BMX bars, instead of silver. He's got a super low riding position. I need a lot more leg extension than that, because I still like pedaling my ebikes.

Always tough to place a battery on a folder conversion and maintain looks. In this case, it's not clear the bike can still fold, unless he only used the two water bottle rivnuts to hold the battery cradle. I only fold mine after I've removed the battery, so I have my battery locked down at both ends, preventing a fold when mounted.

I wouldn't have used a friction shifter. That's funny. I like the Shimano trigger shifters. If he thinks mounting a speed sensor is a big deal on a 20", he should try it on a fat tire bike where the distance from the frame chainstay to the spoke is 3X longer.

Good color. I am tired of black bikes.

Oh well, everyone is a critic. I'll take my shots. He picked a good frame to build on, with Dahon, Some of these no-name folders, you gotta think about frame integrity, especially with mid drive speeds. I heard those brakes howling. I don't know much about Dahons, but I think if he's willing to get a 100mm front wheel (Dahon is 82mm?), he could upgrade to a new fork with disk brake up front.

Maybe a black stem for the BMX bars, instead of silver. He's got a super low riding position. I need a lot more leg extension than that, because I still like pedaling my ebikes.

Always tough to place a battery on a folder conversion and maintain looks. In this case, it's not clear the bike can still fold, unless he only used the two water bottle rivnuts to hold the battery cradle. I only fold mine after I've removed the battery, so I have my battery locked down at both ends, preventing a fold when mounted.

I wouldn't have used a friction shifter. That's funny. I like the Shimano trigger shifters. If he thinks mounting a speed sensor is a big deal on a 20", he should try it on a fat tire bike where the distance from the frame chainstay to the spoke is 3X longer.

Good color. I am tired of black bikes.
Hey Harry! I appreciate the critiques on the build here and hope it can help other people who may be looking at doing a mid-drive conversion themselves. The brakes were quite loud hahaha I would love to see some disc brakes on there in the future.

I am also a fan of the Shimano trigger shifters. I have a pair on my mtb and I love them! I did like the friction shifter here, mainly because I haven't ever used one, but I could see it's not going to have the same consistency as the trigger shifters.

I believe the bike can't be folded with the battery on there. Also, Mitch had talked about possibly getting someone to get rid of the folding joint altogether, as he doesn't personally need it, but I'm not 100% sure how they'd pull that off. Would be interesting to see.

I am also tired of black bikes :p When companies are talking about which color to send me, I usually respond with "anything but black please". lol Give me some yellow, or an orange, something!

Again, I appreciate the comments and your time in making them :)

Back