Aventon quality and reliability

I called most dealers from here to the Midwest and nobody had the one I wanted. One on Colorado came close (different colour) but wouldn’t ship to NY. I did however use this as an opportunity to learn more about the bike and it’s competitors and the feedback was great! Only issue (which is discussed here on another thread) is the abrupt acceleration.

Sooooooo.... I bit the bullet and have a Pace 500 Limited edition coming to my local True Value for assembly. Fingers crossed it comes soon! So excited to have made a decision and can’t wait to love my new bike!

Last edited:
I called most dealers from here to the Midwest and nobody had the one I wanted. One on Colorado came close (different colour) but wouldn’t ship to NY. I did however use this as an opportunity to learn more about the bike and it’s competitors and the feedback was great! Only issue (which is discussed here on another thread) is the abrupt acceleration.

Sooooooo.... I bit the billet and have a Pace 500 Limited edition coming to my local True Value for assembly. Fingers crossed it comes soon! So excited to have made a decision and can’t wait to love my new bike!
Congrats on your new purchase. Hope you enjoy it. 👍

Sooooooo.... I bit the billet and have a Pace 500 Limited edition coming to my local True Value for assembly. Fingers crossed it comes soon! So excited to have made a decision and can’t wait to love my new bike!

Good luck, you made a good choice. Whatever you do in life when you make a decision is NOT to look back. Take your time to understand how it works and understand, it is a powerful bike. After a short time, you will love it.

When I ordered the bike this AM, it said expected in 6 days. Now it says 18 for orders placed today! I am hoping I made some kind of earlier cutoff. Email I received it should be expected on or before the time indicated when I placed my order. Fingers crossed! Now onto helmets...

I remember it was such a relief after I finally made my purchase decision - months of "what abouts" and "maybe's" and "but what ifs" finally brought to a close!!!

Enjoy your bike!

My wife and I bought the Pace 500 for me and the Pace 350 step through for her at the end of 2019 before the news of the pandemic. They both were in stock at our LBS, so we only had to wait a week for them to be built. We were not charged for the assembly and they threw in matching black fenders on both bikes and a front basket for my wife’s. Since we live in Texas, we put over 100 miles on them in the first couple of weeks during the winter. :cool:

I have over 350 miles on mine now and she is close to 200. We have had no issues with either of them other than trying to find more time to ride. For those still waiting, all I can say is it will be well worth it once they arrive!

I sell these (and many others), we had a pile of them in the spring this year and they sold fast, I'm kinda glad they're no longer available until late summer because I don't have the boss pushing my to push them. In my opinion the frame is OK, no suspension fork is a bonus, it's better than a crappy suspension fork. Electrically I hate them, assist 1 is way to torquey and fast, the 500W motor has no markings on it at all making me wonder what it is. I see a disproportionate number of them back in the shop for hub warranty issues. Our 2 shops sold about 40-50 Pace 500s and had 15 return, that is really bad. I had one die on it's inaugural parking lot test ride immediately after it came out of the box, it worked on the stand but about 10' into the ride it made a horrendous noise and lost power never to run again, turning it on the stand you could feel stuff crunching around in there.

I have the Pace 500, in my 2d year and have not had any major problems at all. I have nearly 600 miles on it. It is well built, has quality components (not top of the line), but still good, extremely powerful and comfortable. My only issues are the cadence sensor which lacks control of lower speed with power. I counter that by pedaling without power and let me tell you, the bike is so easy to pedal, you actually think that the power is on. Once you learn how to ride this bike with its power, you’ll be happy that you chose it. Most bikes in this price range are not class 3.
Like Court says, there is no perfect bike out there and that goes for everything in life. Overall for the price, you get a lot of bike. I was just telling a friend that I found a neighborhood with lots of hills and I was able to tackle them at lower speeds and had so much fun.

Thanks both of you for the info. Im still awaiting my bike. Ordered 2 1/2 weeks ago or more. Alls backed up but its supposedly on the way

I sell these (and many others), we had a pile of them in the spring this year and they sold fast, I'm kinda glad they're no longer available until late summer because I don't have the boss pushing my to push them. In my opinion the frame is OK, no suspension fork is a bonus, it's better than a crappy suspension fork. Electrically I hate them, assist 1 is way to torquey and fast, the 500W motor has no markings on it at all making me wonder what it is. I see a disproportionate number of them back in the shop for hub warranty issues. Our 2 shops sold about 40-50 Pace 500s and had 15 return, that is really bad. I had one die on it's inaugural parking lot test ride immediately after it came out of the box, it worked on the stand but about 10' into the ride it made a horrendous noise and lost power never to run again, turning it on the stand you could feel stuff crunching around in there.
Oh no! Not what I wanted to hear the night before mine arrives!!!

Electrically I hate them, assist 1 is way to torquey and fast, the 500W motor has no markings on it at all making me wonder what it is. I see a disproportionate number of them back in the shop for hub warranty issues. Our 2 shops sold about 40-50 Pace 500s and had 15 return, that is really bad. I had one die on it's inaugural parking lot test ride immediately after it came out of the box, it worked on the stand but about 10' into the ride it made a horrendous noise and lost power never to run again, turning it on the stand you could feel stuff crunching around in there.
PAS 1 can be reduced by lowering max speed in Settings, of course not everybody wants to sacrifice 28 mph speed.

The motor is supposed to be Shengyi. A brand inferior to Bafang motors. With this level of quality common approach of a seller is to replace it until you get a good one. Why not installing Bafang from the day 1, puzzles me, the cost difference wholesale is probably less than $50.

Forgive me for jumping in again. Aventon in my opinion is a fine bike with very good components for the price. I now have 1,100 miles on it and am quite happy all around. A friend has the same bike and yesterday he had an accident. Fortunately he was not hurt, but the bike sustained some damage. We were ascending a steep incline that leads you up to the bike path. The incline is narrow and goes around and around 3 times and there are walls on each side preventing you to fall to below this structure. There was a non powered cyclist struggling going up this incline and my friend made a mistake of getting too close to him all the while using power. At one point he had to stop and when you stop, it is very difficult to get going again (no power on demand, you have to pedal about one quarter turn before the power kicks in and when it does, it jolts forward. When this happened he was in a turn position and the bike jolted forward and hit the side wall and broke off a big chunk of the brake lever (white metal) which was attached to the cables and manual lever.
I’m sorry to belabor this incident, but it’s important to know that this could happen to any of us. In hindsight, it would be more prudent to get off the bike and walk It up or wait for the cyclist to reach the top before attempting to ride it up with power.

Bigal - I hope your friend is OK. Thanks for sharing the warning. The bikes are great and sometimes I think we get too comfortable and forget. I had an accident a few weeks ago which I contemplated sharing as a warning as well. I was cycling at about 18 mph and took a sharp right turn onto a gravel driveway. Was flung off the bike as a result. I am fine now and fortunately did not hit my head although I did get hurt in some areas, particularly my knee. The bike seems OK now although at the time I thought it wasn’t working properly and someone kindly took me and the bike home in their car. I haven’t been back out yet as still a little shell shocked but I think with common sense and a little precaution, everything should be fine.

Back