Aventon Level vs. Ride1Up 700

I wasn't posting here to make you an enemy. I'm happy their using dealer networks and probably the reason you are in support of it/them. We're testing different business models. Buying direct online, or through local bike shops. We'll see where the future takes us, and for me it is about efficiency and increasing the options for cyclists. Re. Aventon - They can use the same designs (or not) all they want. None of these bikes designs are patented and we are using Reentions electronic integration so our frame shapes are going to be similar. It was quite apparent though that the Level design was shaped after our 700 series design. Maybe I am wrong and they had it planned from the beginning. Similarly with the pace v 500 series, we had that in the works since the start of 2018 as well. I'm not bashing them, but pointing out how much the Aventon Level seems to be a replica of our 700 series 3 mo's after our media release of that model. Could I be wrong about them copying it, maybe. I won't know the inspiration for the overall design, but it certainly seems that way. I likely wouldn't go after them legally, and again... I could be wrong, but the timing and design is suspect.

Last edited:
You can attack me if you like, but I posted on this forum because it is also in the Ride1UP forum and I get notified. I'm sharing what I have experienced and what I know based on the evidence I have. It's a article about comparing two nearly identical models so of course it makes sense to post here. We got word a month ago that our design was copied and I do not have any evidence that they had already planned this model, but again, I do not know for sure. Anyway, it's just another option for consumers, so that's great. Competing with our price-point will be near impossible, so it's not like they are copying our bike and undercutting us.

Copying schmopying. If you guys - that is, the owners and designers of ebikes - aren't focused on the redesigns and new designs and components for the 2021 - 2023 editions then you will not survive the upcoming market explosion in ebikes. In business, copying is the highest form of flattery (assuming one is not stealing proprietary information); whining about copying means your focusing on what has already happened, rather than on what will be happening. Being ahead of the current fad is what distinguishes the true leaders.

Copying schmopying. If you guys - that is, the owners and designers of ebikes - aren't focused on the redesigns and new designs and components for the 2021 - 2023 editions then you will not survive the upcoming market explosion in ebikes. In business, copying is the highest form of flattery (assuming one is not stealing proprietary information); whining about copying means your focusing on what has already happened, rather than on what will be happening. Being ahead of the current fad is what distinguishes the true leaders.
That is how I feel feel as well. Not too worried about copying, though I do believe there is a limit to this philosophy. Generally speaking though, I completely agree and am not too worried about it. More options for the consumer, and our goal at the end of the day is more bike for less money. An efficient supply chain without all of your money going into to marketing, google ads, middle men, etc.
I hope it doesn't seem like I made this out to be some big issue. I have actually sent many customers over to Aventon when they want specifics that Aventon offers (more specific sizing, and the step-thru pace.

That is how I feel feel as well. Not too worried about copying, though I do believe there is a limit to this philosophy. Generally speaking though, I completely agree and am not too worried about it. More options for the consumer, and our goal at the end of the day is more bike for less money. An efficient supply chain without all of your money going into to marketing, google ads, middle men, etc.
I hope it doesn't seem like I made this out to be some big issue. I have actually sent many customers over to Aventon when they want specifics that Aventon offers (more specific sizing, and the step-thru pace.

I follow shared scooters and e-bikes, and know many people in the industry, and I can tell you that billions of dollars have been lost precisely because of hubris, because they lacked the humility that kr seems to have. Instead of trying to build a tightly run ship and accepting their low margins and generic product, they sell a big story that investors temporarily gobble up, and then go bust within a year or two. Many have no viable strategy because the only thing they got good at was selling a story, and are waiting for a corporate patron to save them

Plus, kr's e-bikes aren't as generic as the shared scooters have been, and they have a huge edge over much of the industry. Aventon is a competitive player, but the market generally hasn't done a good job of providing polished value priced Class 3 commuter e-bikes. Juiced had the crown but QC issues, slightly dated designs (big narrow wheel/tire combo) and increasing prices have weakened that.

Paying an extra $200 or $300 for an equivalently specced bike in return for a dealer network is perfectly fine, it's just you can't play both strategies as one company, and there's a place for both. There are many people who will strongly prefer one or the other (personally, I'd choose based on the specific design/spec choices, I'm willing to pay an Aventon level premium but not a Specialized one).

Plus I'm happy that Aventon and Ride are making straight up practical utilitarian ebikes, instead of chasing first the fatbike and now the super73 minibike style fads. A&R will be ready when people start using fast e-bikes for daily life en masse.

Last edited:
Beautiful 60 degree late February day - taking my new Aventon Level out for another cruise wherever. The ride is smooth and incredibly enjoyable. The electric boost helps make these 58-year-old "sittin'-too-much-at-a-desk" legs feel like a teenager again. Big thumbs up!
Are you happy with your Level. How many miles you have it? Did they fix acceleration problem in pas 1 people talk about

I'm very happy with the bike, although the weather has limited some of my yearn to ride, but I've gone a couple hundred miles. The Pedal Assist 1 is a bit of a quick start, but I have no problem anticipating it and have not been bothered by it at all, even when I am in start and stop traffic (as a matter of fact, it feels pretty good). That said, I am not a hesitant cyclist and I enjoy cruising pretty quickly, feeling the wind through my (helmeted) hair.

I wouldn't call Aventon's PAS1 a problem - it's more of a feature that may intimidate those who prefer a slower start or feel a bit more wobbly on a bike. It is easy to avoid - just put the bike in PAS0 if you don't want a boost on your start-up.

Josh, thanks for getting this discussion started as I am considering purchasing one of these 2 bikes in the next 30 days.
I don't want to mess with your original post so could you be so kind to update the list of differences between the two bikes. Also maybe someone can provide answers to the unknown.

Ride 1 Up is using Shenyi motor instead of Bafang that is listed. Also Ride 1 Up does come with lights that are fed off the bikes main battery and the Aventon comes with no lights. The replacement battery for the Ride 1 Up costs $389 and Aventon $499.

I know the Ride 1 Up tires have puncture protection, not sure about the Aventon. The brakes on the Ride 1 Up have motor inhibitors, not sure about Aventon.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Aventon has ebs sensors as well, I'm quite certain. If the system is using a cadence sensor, it should have ebs. We are using a shengyi motor also. We are also running out of inventory. The covid production delays are tough right now. There is a lot of demand in the spring.
Anyway, both bikes are solid, wish you luck!

Last edited:
I am trying to decide between these two bikes. I am a first time ebike buyer.

pluses I see for r1u 700 is step through frame available, integrated lights, possibly power start from standstill, and color choices. I prefer the blue. color display is also nice.
negatives I see, kick stand location, not available from dealer and dealer support, warranty requires to have a bike shop verify your assembly at a cost making the cost equivalent. Not avaiable until August 10th maybe.

pluses for aventon level are current availability, local dealer support and included tune up at 500 miles and no need to assemble.
negatives, no color option, no step through frame, no lights, no color display.

It seems from my reading that the components and performance are pretty comparable. I have seen neither in person, and will be going to a dealer in a few days to see the aveton level.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Unless a step through is a requirement, then I would recommend the Level if you like it when you test ride it.

All things being equal R1U provides great value - but having a bike in your hands with dealer support in June vs MAYBE/PROBABLY getting a bike in mid August is a pretty huge difference.

Thank you for your input, but not sure what the aventon step is. If you are referring to the pace 500 step through, although a very similar bike, it does not have an integrated battery which is a deal breaker for me. I realize it is completley asthetic, but I just do not like the look of a bolt on battery. If someone knows of another similar bike to the level or 700 that I should consider in this price range, please let me know.

Thank you for your input, but not sure what the aventon step is. If you are referring to the pace 500 step through, although a very similar bike, it does not have an integrated battery which is a deal breaker for me. I realize it is completley asthetic, but I just do not like the look of a bolt on battery. If someone knows of another similar bike to the level or 700 that I should consider in this price range, please let me know.
I feel same way wish Aventon would have hidden battery , and lighten there bike.

Pay up front then wait +/- 2 months for delivery (you can cancel but it will cost you $40)? Not for me.

I am trying to decide between these two bikes. I am a first time ebike buyer.

pluses I see for r1u 700 is step through frame available, integrated lights, possibly power start from standstill, and color choices. I prefer the blue. color display is also nice.
negatives I see, kick stand location, not available from dealer and dealer support, warranty requires to have a bike shop verify your assembly at a cost making the cost equivalent. Not avaiable until August 10th maybe.

pluses for aventon level are current availability, local dealer support and included tune up at 500 miles and no need to assemble.
negatives, no color option, no step through frame, no lights, no color display.

It seems from my reading that the components and performance are pretty comparable. I have seen neither in person, and will be going to a dealer in a few days to see the aveton level.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
One other bike to consider at similar price/features is Espin Sport. I think it is similar in specs to ride1up 700. Hub motor, hydraulic brakes, front suspension fork, semi integrated 14 ah battery. Nice looking. Comes with lights, fenders, rack. Orders for all companies seem backlogged. I ordered a ride1up bike and an Espin Sport in May. Neither has been delivered although both promise delivery this month.

One other bike to consider at similar price/features is Espin Sport. I think it is similar in specs to ride1up 700. Hub motor, hydraulic brakes, front suspension fork, semi integrated 14 ah battery. Nice looking. Comes with lights, fenders, rack. Orders for all companies seem backlogged. I ordered a ride1up bike and an Espin Sport in May. Neither has been delivered although both promise delivery this month.
We received our Ride1up 500 and Espin Sport. Some pluses for Ride1up is you can always use throttle even in 0 assistance, the assistance levels can be programmed/ changed, bike seems lighter, tires puncture protected and slightly wider. Comfortable. Faster, up to 28 mph. Espin Sport has hydraulic disk brakes, integrated battery, seems heavier/ bigger, no bottle cage, no throttle in 0 assist, comes with nice rear rack, fenders, lights. Five levels of assist not programmable. I have not figured out how to unlock so it can go 28 as review states. Both easy to assemble and were delivered undamaged. Espin Sport is a beautiful looking bike, similar to Ride1up 700.

Back