Aventon Controller Modifications

smary

Region
USA
Newer member here posting to the forums and appreciating the feedback and information being provided.

New question I have about the Aventon PACE 500 and the new controller modifications they announced and release early March. Press release states in part, the following:

"To answer your feedback, we have removed the regulation to pedal a quarter rotation to activate the throttle, allowing you to use the throttle from a dead stop. Yes, you heard correctly, by popular demand, you will now have throttle on demand."
"Many customers have sent us their feedback on the pedal assist functionality with many noting that they feel a small jolt when both pedal assist levels 1 and 2 kick in. This, we decided, needed to be fixed. As a result we have reduced the intensity of acceleration rates for both levels 1 and 2 of pedal assist. This change will provide riders with a smooth transition into both these levels of pedal assist, allowing for a much smoother and more comfortable riding experience for everyone!"

I'm considering Aventon PACE 500 as my first ebike and because I can purchase at a LBS and the new bikes with sell with the new controller. Throughout my research on the forums, this has been a constant complaint from the Aventon riders and is a concern for me in selecting that bike. Subsequent to the controller updates, there is very little information so far from users on whether or not the modifications have resolved their issues. The few I did find state that the speeds in PAS 1 and 2 are still too high.

My question is whether or not any of you have theories as to why, if Aventon gave in and made modifications to the controller, why didn't they modify the controller to allow for programmable PAS similar to the Ride 1 Up 500 controller. Maybe it's an issue with the mechanics between the two different bikes but it just seems as though Aventon really only resolved one issue by allowing the Throttle On Demand, and riders still feel the speeds on PAS 1 and 2 are still to high.

Just curious.

I would say they also resolved another issue that had brought complaints. When powered on the bike now starts in PAS 0 instead of PAS 1. The speed in PAS 1 and 2 is nearly what it was before, but the ramping up to that speed is noticeably dampened. Since you can purchase at LBS a test ride should tell you if the response is right for you. Pkchari posted that Aventon may not fully grasp the programmability of the technology. Too bad, more user control would be a big plus.

The one change I didn't see mentioned here was that the throttle now doesn't work on PAS 0. My wife rode a Throttle on Demand version last weekend, and the throttle only works on PAS 1-5. To me, that was a deal breaker as I find the throttle most useful when not using PAS. Why have a throttle at all if you can't use it in PAS 0? Not sure why Aventon did that, but fortunately, my wife and I were able to get Throttle After Pedal versions.

The one change I didn't see mentioned here was that the throttle now doesn't work on PAS 0. My wife rode a Throttle on Demand version last weekend, and the throttle only works on PAS 1-5. To me, that was a deal breaker as I find the throttle most useful when not using PAS. Why have a throttle at all if you can't use it in PAS 0? Not sure why Aventon did that, but fortunately, my wife and I were able to get Throttle After Pedal versions.
So you're saying that the throttle is active in PAS0 on bikes with throttle after peddle?

Yes. I have the Throttle After Pedal version of the Level and my wife has the Pace 500. The throttle can absolutely be used in PAS-0 in the Throttle After Pedal version. We love it as we live in town and often need to go slower due to turns, pedestrians, traffic, etc. We find the PAS-1 a bit too fast at times (plus the acceleration can be dangerous in congested areas), so we will often use PAS-0 when riding slow. The throttle is a great tool when riding in PAS-0 and when we realized that the Throttle On Demand version didn't allow throttle on PAS-0, that was a deal breaker for us. On paper, I thought I would like the Throttle on Demand better, but I like the Throttle After Pedal was better to me for 3 reasons: 1) the 1/4 rotation isn't bad at all, 2) an accidental bump of the Throttle would eventually cause me to drop the bike (I actually almost dropped the bike when I intentionally pressed the throttle to test how dangerous it was) and 3) I definitely want the throttle to work on PAS-0. I personally think Aventon made a huge mistake by not allowing the throttle to work in PAS-0 on the Throttle on Demand version.

Yes. I have the Throttle After Pedal version of the Level and my wife has the Pace 500. The throttle can absolutely be used in PAS-0 in the Throttle After Pedal version. We love it as we live in town and often need to go slower due to turns, pedestrians, traffic, etc. We find the PAS-1 a bit too fast at times (plus the acceleration can be dangerous in congested areas), so we will often use PAS-0 when riding slow. The throttle is a great tool when riding in PAS-0 and when we realized that the Throttle On Demand version didn't allow throttle on PAS-0, that was a deal breaker for us. On paper, I thought I would like the Throttle on Demand better, but I like the Throttle After Pedal was better to me for 3 reasons: 1) the 1/4 rotation isn't bad at all, 2) an accidental bump of the Throttle would eventually cause me to drop the bike (I actually almost dropped the bike when I intentionally pressed the throttle to test how dangerous it was) and 3) I definitely want the throttle to work on PAS-0. I personally think Aventon made a huge mistake by not allowing the throttle to work in PAS-0 on the Throttle on Demand version.
Interesting. They giveth and they taketh away. Had I known throttle was inactive in PAS0 I would have ordered the throttle-after-peddle version for my wife. My bike is a different brand and its throttle is on-demand and active in all modes. It's never been a problem for me. You just have to be aware of it. I always turn off the controller when I dismount the bike.

I'm okay with no throttle in PAS 0, that way you don't accidentally throttle as PAS 0 to me means no power.

It's very easy to click up to PAS 1 and then use throttle... but that's my opinion... not a commentary on what should be the absolute correct way to set that up.

I agree with Big Nerd. And just my opinion. Wife and I treat PAS 0 more like neutral on a motorcycle. “ If you don’t want it moving then keep it in neutral“ kind of thinking. Admittedly we dont have hills to deal with so from a standing start it is easier for us maybe here in Florida . And we rarely ride the eBikes in traffic where we deal with stop light or intersection starts.

Has anyone replaced the Aventon controller with a KT controller? From what I have read, KT has figured out what Aventon can't or won't. It is also much less expensive, even with buying a new display. I see no reason to pay Aventon for a inferior overpriced replacement controller to make my bike behave better. One question is whether the Aventon 48 v motor is sine wave or square wave drive.

I agree with Big Nerd. And just my opinion. Wife and I treat PAS 0 more like neutral on a motorcycle. “ If you don’t want it moving then keep it in neutral“ kind of thinking. Admittedly we dont have hills to deal with so from a standing start it is easier for us maybe here in Florida . And we rarely ride the eBikes in traffic where we deal with stop light or intersection starts.
On my motorcycle, I had a clutch that worked in 1st gear, and could be feathered in if need be.

My wife has a Pace 350 with Throttle After Peddle, TAP. She goes about 10 mph while peddling steady in PAS-1.
I have a Pace 500 with TAP. I go about 12.5 mph while peddling steady in PAS-1.
To keep pace with her, I stop and start peddling frequently. Would like to keep peddling steady.
Can anyone tell me how to program the Pace 500 with TAP, so I can go 10 mph while peddling steady in PAS-1?

My wife has a Pace 350 with Throttle After Peddle, TAP. She goes about 10 mph while peddling steady in PAS-1.
I have a Pace 500 with TAP. I go about 12.5 mph while peddling steady in PAS-1.
To keep pace with her, I stop and start peddling frequently. Would like to keep peddling steady.
Can anyone tell me how to program the Pace 500 with TAP, so I can go 10 mph while peddling steady in PAS-1?
The controllers on the Aventon products are not user programmable for the PAS function. Join the large crowd of disappointed Aventon owners who long for this ability.

The controllers on the Aventon products are not user programmable for the PAS function. Join the large crowd of disappointed Aventon owners who long for this ability.
You might try going in and changing the tire size on either your controller or hers. Make your tires larger, you'll go a bit slower. Make her tires smaller, she will go a bit faster. This will of course throw off the accuracy of some of the metrics - speed, distance traveled, etc. on whichever bike you implement the change. But functionally it should accomplish the goal.

It's the function 04P in Settings.

FUNCTION 04P - WHEEL SIZE
This function can be used to change the wheel size to 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 27.5, or 28” wheels. The Pace 500 comes stock with 27.5” wheels, which is the default and recommended setting.

I recently swapped the controller on my Pace 350 to a KT "Torque Simulation" Sine Wave controller along with the LCD-3 display.
It has a configurable power-based PAS which my wife likes way better. On the weakest assist setting the display shows 30 Watts in PAS 1, 90 Watts in PAS 2, etc.
So it now rides smoothly like a bike and not like a moped or scooter. It can also be configured for Speed-based like the Aventon but we haven't played with that setting.
It also can be configured for Throttle after Pedal or Throttle on Demand, including PAS 0. It has other features as well like a Cruise Control, which we don't use.

Unfortunately I don't think this same solution will work for a Pace 500 or Level since Aventon appears to have kept the controller the same size as the 350 but squeezed the higher
Voltage and Current requirements into the same box. The KT controllers with the higher requirements are likely too large to fit in the frame as others have mentioned.

Last edited:
A LOT of production bikes mount the controller externally. There's no law saying it has to go where the original did. Bonus to mounting externally is MUCH better cooling (enhanced durability).

My goal was to enhance the bike but keep the same look and feel as original. Also this is my wife's bike and she was very apprehensive about me doing any modification to it.
Although I was able to squeeze the new controller into the frame, I ended up with a lot more cable externally since they were all longer than original Aventon stuff.
On top of this she has the size Small frame which likely doesn't help. In the end I did some creative looping and wrapping in front under the display and down below behind the bottom bracket.
She didn't really notice it. She was more aware that the display looked different :)

Last edited:
Back