Aventon Controller Modifications

Has anyone replaced the Aventon controller with a KT controller? From what I have read, KT has figured out what Aventon can't or won't. It is also much less expensive, even with buying a new display. I see no reason to pay Aventon for a inferior overpriced replacement controller to make my bike behave better. One question is whether the Aventon 48 v motor is sine wave or square wave drive.
Yes,
I took the advice of AHicks and replaced the stock controller with a 22a KT controller and KT color display on my wife's Aventon Level. The new controller puts out 1,050 peak watts according to my display. My wife did not like the quick acceleration of the stock Aventon PAS. PAS-1 was too fast for her liking (12-14mph). Her PAS-1 now brings the bike up to 6mph instead of 12mph. Many programmable parameters, throttle on startup, three different PAS profiles. Very smooth acceleration, almost no motor noise. KT's "Imitation Torque Control" feels much better than the speed based PAS on the Aventon. The "Fast" PAS profile is aggressive enough to keep pace with my 1450 watt BBSHD Mid drive fat bike in the background. Being a rear hub, the Aventon cannot climb hills in the same manner but it does remarkably well. I'm going to install an 11-42 rear cog to increase the climbing ability. I painted the controller flat black and mounted the controller externally to the rack brace below the seat. You will need a main harness extension cable and extend the batter/power wires. And I added 2.8"(rear) and 3" tires (ftont).

KT does make a smaller 17a controller that I believe will fit in the downtube.

External Controller.jpg
. It will not fit inside the downtube. It was pretty much plug n' play.

Attachments

• Contoller.JPG
    Contoller.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 515
  • Display.JPG
    Display.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 399
Hey Tom - can you please provide the part number or link for the 22a KT controller (and for the smaller 17a controller if possible)?

Hey Tom - can you please provide the part number or link for the 22a KT controller (and for the smaller 17a controller if possible)?
I ordered thru Amazon. They have 4 in stock as of right now

I ordered thru Amazon. They have 4 in stock as of right now

Thanks! I will continue to try to find one that will fit in the tube but this will do for now.

I recently swapped the controller on my Pace 350 to a KT "Torque Simulation" Sine Wave controller along with the LCD-3 display.
It has a configurable power-based PAS which my wife likes way better. On the weakest assist setting the display shows 30 Watts in PAS 1, 90 Watts in PAS 2, etc.
So it now rides smoothly like a bike and not like a moped or scooter. It can also be configured for Speed-based like the Aventon but we haven't played with that setting.
It also can be configured for Throttle after Pedal or Throttle on Demand, including PAS 0. It has other features as well like a Cruise Control, which we don't use.

Unfortunately I don't think this same solution will work for a Pace 500 or Level since Aventon appears to have kept the controller the same size as the 350 but squeezed the higher
Voltage and Current requirements into the same box. The KT controllers with the higher requirements are likely too large to fit in the frame as others have mentioned.
Hi @unikid -- I was wondering if you'd be able to share the details of which options you chose for the pace 350? I'd like to replace the controller on a gen 1 pace 350 -- it's my mom's and the level 1 PAS is way too fast for her, and we'd like to have throttle on demand to help get the bike moving from a stop without having to pedal. But this is my first time modding an ebike and I'm unsure which of these controller options are in/compatible with the pace 350.

Thanks!

----
1666538949461.png

Hi @unikid -- I was wondering if you'd be able to share the details of which options you chose for the pace 350? I'd like to replace the controller on a gen 1 pace 350 -- it's my mom's and the level 1 PAS is way too fast for her, and we'd like to have throttle on demand to help get the bike moving from a stop without having to pedal. But this is my first time modding an ebike and I'm unsure which of these controller options are in/compatible with the pace 350.

Thanks!

----
View attachment 138572
These are the options I went with:

• Brake - Without Brake
  • Cable - 1-4 Cable
  • Display - T-LCD3
  • 9Pins - 60cm 9pins extend cable
  • Throttle - Wuxing 130X Thumb throttle
  • PAS - KT-V12L

Back