Authorized eBike Trails in NJ?

mmelone1

Region
USA
I live in the Jersey Shore area and there are several nice bike/hiking trails. Nearly all of them have posted signs of "No Motorized Vehicles".
There is legislation in our state that allows eBikes wherever bikes are allowed. Several of the trails run thru multiple towns and I have reached out to nearly
all of them thru the recreation departments to get a clarification. None of them have responded as to whether eBikes are permissible. I have read
multiple blogs that recommend you contact whoever maintains the trails. Where would you find that information?

Unfortunately, Ebike rules and regulations vary from town to town, county to county and state to state. Even some parks have their own set of rules. To make things worse, they seem to change almost weekly and signage is inconsistent or non existent.

I ride my Ebikes on several trails in NJ, including the D&R Canal, Columbia and Sandy Hook. All are marked "No Motorized Vehicles". I have never been approached by NJ. law enforcement on any of them.

I used to try and keep current with Ebike regulations in the many states & localities where I ride but gave up for the above reasons. I'll ride unless the trail is clearly marked "No Ebikes". I make a point to be courteous to others and ride responsibly. I've been approached a few times by park rangers (none in NJ) but have never received a citation or been asked to leave.

BTW, welcome to the forum! This topic is discussed frequently on EBR. Try the "Search" tab in the upper right for more information.

Unfortunately, Ebike rules and regulations vary from town to town, county to county and state to state. Even some parks have their own set of rules. To make things worse, they seem to change almost weekly and signage is inconsistent or non existent.

I ride my Ebikes on several trails in NJ, including the D&R Canal, Columbia and Sandy Hook. All are marked "No Motorized Vehicles". I have never been approached by NJ. law enforcement on any of them.

I used to try and keep current with Ebike regulations in the many states & localities where I ride but gave up for the above reasons. I'll ride unless the trail is clearly marked "No Ebikes". I make a point to be courteous to others and ride responsibly. I've been approached a few times by park rangers (none in NJ) but have never received a citation or been asked to leave.

BTW, welcome to the forum! This topic is discussed frequently on EBR. Try the "Search" tab in the upper right for more information.
Thanks for you response. I found something interesting when I Googled State of NJ eBike. This was the last sentence in the on a ruling from a couple of years ago.
1672512064361.png

There are two good ones that I just found and plan to go on. The following is a link to NJ laws from People for Bikes:

I confirmed the trails recommended about 2/3's the way down on the right. The Delaware River Gravel Path (NJ side) was confirmed to me by the Lambertville police of for ebikes. Starts in Lambertville and ends in Frenchtown or visa versa. PA has much more relaxed ebike rules than NJ, of course, and they have a ride on the other side as well that was confirmed to me by the PA police. I would prefer to start in Lambertville, come back and enjoy all that area has to offer as we go there all the time. The Pottersville ride should be awesome as well and the following link is to that path and its info...https://ridewithgps.com/routes/6343330...and you can get the Delaware River Gravel/Towpath ride info from the same site.

My township has closed the many local paved trails to ebikes by ordinance and many other have as well. County trails seem to be a different story but need to double check on each before you go. Say like a Patriots Path in Morris County, which I am trying to confirm allows it.

Enjoy and a happy and healthy New Year all!

Sometimes it's easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission. Unless the signs say no bikes, someone of authority will have to stop me to get to stop riding there. Enjoy it while you can, gray area/lack of enforcement is not going to last forever.

Excellent point and well put. I am going to follow your lead and ride it as long as I can! Thanks

Sandy Hook is a gr8 ride. mostly flat miles of paved trails. i think etiquette goes a long way.peddle more and use throttle less especially in the presence of people. always slow down or even get off your bike if it a group of people or dog walkers are near. dont fly through stop signs like i see regular bike riders do too often.use your bell(single light ding) well in advance as not to spook others upon approach...i went as far as covering the Lectric decals on the bike as i think it givs more fuel to electric bike haters.go light and share the trails.

Everything you wanted to know about ebike laws in NJ. Real world bottom line---unless signage specifically bars electric bikes, ignore the Class 3 restrictions.

"New Jersey defines electric bikes as regular mechanical bikes with a motor of strength up to 750 W. These bikes can achieve up to 25 miles per hour, and the maximum displacement allowed is 50 cc. An additional rule is that this electric bike cannot have more than 1.5 brake horsepower!

How powerful can my bike be? To stay in classes 1 and 2, your e-bike shouldn’t exceed 1.5 brake horsepower and the maximum displacement allowed is 50 cc."

This makes no sense because e bikes are not rated for displacement nor brake h.p.? They call for a 750w "motor strength?" which is equivalent to 1 h.p. yet also mention 1.5. Also the 25 mph figure is not inline with their 20mph 1/2 law and doesn't jibe with conventional Class 3 laws either.

But this one here is what really makes me wonder what the heck is going on back there and glad I'm not......

"What about mountain bikes? Electric mountain bikes don’t belong to New Jersey - there are almost no areas managed for recreation of this kind. These vehicles are considered motorized and therefore have access to motorized trails."

New Jersey has adopted the US Federal ebike classes in 2019 and a class 1 & 2 ebike is considered a non-motorized low speed electric assisted bicycle. As long as the motor cuts off at 20mph and the motor is rated at 750 watts or less they are treated the same as any other traditional bicycle. Here is a pretty good article covering the details: https://njbikeped.org/new-law-legalized-e-bikes-and-e-scooters-in-new-jersey/
Unfortunately, this law doesn't necessarily mean you can ride your class 1 or 2 e-bike anywhere in the state. Counties, towns and even individual parks often have their own set of regulations.

Yes, seems to be the case in all states and some local government more draconian than others. Seems like the County jurisdictions are least likely to adopt laws against ebikes. Here in Florida there are very few areas that I can't ride and those I can't seem to be for good reasons.

hmmm not to cause trouble but....... sometimes law enforcement doesn't know what the law is or local law enforcement will make something a law without actually making it and then when it's time to clean or clear it up it turns into big mess. KISS maybe a good route to take here!

Back