Atlantic Magazine on ebikes

Someone that thought getting an ebike would make them cool now doesn't like ebikes.

Someone else posted that link on here to justify their ebiker hate.

There is a paywall. Is anybody able to share the text?
Sorry for the layout, but here it is: (and no, Solar-Karen, I am not putting this here because I hate ebikes, you on the other hand....)

Attachments

• Screenshot 1.png
    Screenshot 1.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 126
  • Screenshot 2.png
    Screenshot 2.png
    99 KB · Views: 132
  • Screenshot 3.png
    Screenshot 3.png
    109.9 KB · Views: 126
  • Screenshot 4.png
    Screenshot 4.png
    100.1 KB · Views: 127
  • Screenshot 6.png
    Screenshot 6.png
    97.6 KB · Views: 134
  • Screenshot 5.png
    Screenshot 5.png
    188.4 KB · Views: 124
  • Screenshot 7.png
    Screenshot 7.png
    141.3 KB · Views: 127
  • Screenshot 8.png
    Screenshot 8.png
    52.6 KB · Views: 134
  • Screenshot 9.png
    Screenshot 9.png
    133.9 KB · Views: 135
  • Screenshot 10.png
    Screenshot 10.png
    58 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
For this smart magazine
I take it you don't normally read "the Atlantic". That or this is just the first article you've read in it where you have any authority or knowledge of what they're covering. They are some of the worst pandering to a narrow minded gullible audience this side of Fox News.

Almost every one of their articles has glaring omissions, card stacking, glittering generalities, and are typically devoid of actual facts. That they'd greenlight a hit piecelike this one is hardly a shock.

If Yankee is for the blue collar go to Dunkin's for a large iced dark roast four sugars four cream in February, The Atlantic is for the effete elitist white collar criminals who go to Stahbuks because they like the illusion of prestige that comes with goofy size names, goofy fancy orders that make the employees hate them, and coffee that smells like ass just so they can rub it in other people's noses. That it comes with a bit of human suffering in the form of underpaid employees only making it all the sweeter. More so with even goofier BS like calling them "baristas" like it's 1920's Paris and they're back their slicing onions and hand tuning a percolator over an open flame, grinding the beans and mixing to order. They're not baristas, they're f***ing cashiers!

Basically, remember what Patton said about "The bilious bastards who write this sort of tripe for the Saturday Evening Post know about as much about fighting as they do fornicating!" Yeah, that... just worse.

But it's something my paternal grandfather used to say: "Whenever you read a news article about anything you know about, they get every single detail wrong. If they cannot be trusted for things you know about, how can you possibly trust them for things of which you know nothing?"

And I extend that to all media. There's a reason the only thing Top Gun gets right about air combat is it takes place in the air. And may occasionally involve homoerotic volleyball.

That was a joke... the volleyball part, not the air combat part.

Someone that thought getting an ebike would make them cool now doesn't like ebikes.

Someone else posted that link on here to justify their ebiker hate.

If you are referring to me, I posted that as an example of bias, not because I agreed with it. I am not an ebike hater, as you keep claiming.

This is what I wrote:

“This article appeared in The Atlantic Magazine. Unfortunately, many probably share the author’s views, or they may after reading the article. It seems relevant to this thread. For better or worse, here it is”:

Link to the thread:

Last edited by a moderator:
Typical self absorbed millennial, who is all about what other think, trying too hard to impress and assuming he knows far more than he does. Sounds like he bought the cheapest ebike he could find with too powerful a motor, a primitive controller, piss poor components and weighing too much. Then he assumed that all ebikes are like the POS he bought. What a joke.

@Mulezen thanks for posting this though. It's good to know what idiocy you are up against in this world.

Response to Atlantic article from Vice:

On Wednesday, The Atlantic published an article by Ian Bogost (a writer, game designer, and Director of Film and Media Studies at Washington University of St. Louis) about e-bikes. The gist of Bogost’s take is that he bought an e-bike, which is a bigger, heavier bicycle with a motor and battery, and feels weird about it. He says e-bikes have an “identity crisis” because they do not fit within any neatly defined buckets in American transportation and therefore don’t pass on any identity to their users.

The article was widely panned on Twitter, mostly by the usual pro-bike, pro-active streets, anti-car constituency. To be clear, I am a member of that constituency; I bike and walk and take public transportation everywhere (I do not tweet, though). However, I broadly agree with Bogost’s general point about e-bikes, but for entirely different reasons.

E-bikes do have a big problem in the U.S., one that I have been increasingly concerned about as someone who very much advocates for e-bikes and wants to see them take off in this country. It is related to Bogost’s point that e-bikes don’t quite fit with any American identity, but in a much more—literally—concrete way. E-bikes don’t belong anywhere in particular on American infrastructure, which makes them both more frustrating, more dangerous, and more annoying than they otherwise could be. And it’s unnecessarily generating friction between traditional cyclists and e-bikers despite their obvious shared interests in repurposing street space from automobiles.

Read more:

Response to Atlantic article from Vice:

On Wednesday, The Atlantic published an article by Ian Bogost (a writer, game designer, and Director of Film and Media Studies at Washington University of St. Louis) about e-bikes. The gist of Bogost’s take is that he bought an e-bike, which is a bigger, heavier bicycle with a motor and battery, and feels weird about it. He says e-bikes have an “identity crisis” because they do not fit within any neatly defined buckets in American transportation and therefore don’t pass on any identity to their users.

The article was widely panned on Twitter, mostly by the usual pro-bike, pro-active streets, anti-car constituency. To be clear, I am a member of that constituency; I bike and walk and take public transportation everywhere (I do not tweet, though). However, I broadly agree with Bogost’s general point about e-bikes, but for entirely different reasons.

E-bikes do have a big problem in the U.S., one that I have been increasingly concerned about as someone who very much advocates for e-bikes and wants to see them take off in this country. It is related to Bogost’s point that e-bikes don’t quite fit with any American identity, but in a much more—literally—concrete way. E-bikes don’t belong anywhere in particular on American infrastructure, which makes them both more frustrating, more dangerous, and more annoying than they otherwise could be. And it’s unnecessarily generating friction between traditional cyclists and e-bikers despite their obvious shared interests in repurposing street space from automobiles.

Read more:

Cyclists have put up with a lack of bicycle friendly infrastructure since the beginning of the bicycle, (around 150 years or so). Most have just accepted our place along the gutter at the edge of the road.

The US has always been unfriendly to bicycles, and expecting that to change overnight with the introduction of the ebike is in my opinion, unrealistic. Americans generally haven’t made climate change or conserving energy a priority. When I did business in the Czech Republic, I would walk to and from our business to the hotel, generally about 3 kilometers each way. One of my colleagues from Switzerland was shocked when he saw that I walked in. He said that Americans drive down the driveway to get their mail, (that is how he saw us and it is not altogether incorrect, but not universal). The villages in the Czech republic are interconnected by a very good and old network of bike and pedestrian paths. They also have a bike lane built into many of their sidewalks, but walking and bicycling have always been their primary mode of transportation. I don't see that happening in the US. It should, but that is unfortunately just not the American way.

It is unfortunate that the The Atlantic author didn’t differentiate between e-motorcycles with superfluous pedals and properly classified ebikes. Class 1 ebikes are nearly universally considered to be a bicycle. Class 2 and 3 are often more restricted regarding where they can legally ride. Then there are the unrestricted ebikes that should only be used off road. I don’t know what he was riding.

Some feel special and thumb their collective noses at regulations. There will always be people that hate bicycles in general. There will always be people that give them more to hate.

Change takes time and effort. One a-hole can quickly undo the good efforts and behavior of many.

Last edited:
I have heard my ebike called a motorcycle or moped by haters but obviously the ebike reviewers disagree.

Yep, it only takes one a-hole to undermine ebikes with their hate.

winner.PNG

Good thing we don't rely on some people's opinions on EBR as to what is and isn't an ebike.

I have heard my ebike called a motorcycle or moped by haters but obviously the ebike reviewers disagree.

Yep, it only takes one a-hole to undermine ebikes with their hate.

View attachment 134204
Actualy, I rely on the government's "opinion" of what constitutes an ebike. Does Ariel give you something for pushing your minibike on the forum? I would never call that silly thing a motorcycle. I like motorcycles and ebikes. For the record, it's not the Ariel that they hate....

Actualy, I rely on the government's "opinion" of what constitutes an ebike. Does Ariel give you something for pushing your minibike on the forum? I would never call that silly thing a motorcycle. I like motorcycles and ebikes. For the record, it's not the Ariel that they hate....

Water off a duck's back, right Karen?

Has your ebike won any awards from ebike reviewers?

The Ariel X ebike is a monster all right and not for kids or wimpy riders and it eats little ebikes for lunch!

Comparison: Juiced HyperScrambler 2, Ariel Rider Grizzly, Monday Anza and Super73 RX​

Speed​

When it comes to top speeds of four fast e-bikes, Ariel Rider’s Grizzly comes with a top speed of 36 mph, compared to 30.8 mph of Juiced HyperScrambler 2, 30 mph of Super73 RX and 20.8 of Monday Anza. Ariel Rider’s Grizzly is an absolute winner here thanks to its two 1000W hub motors. The Grizzly is putting down 40% more power than the Super73 RX, and twice as much as the HyperScrambler 2.

By means of acceleration, the ranking doesn’t change: Again, Grizzly comes first with 8.8 seconds, followed by Juiced HyperScrambler 2 with 9.6, Super73 RX with 10.8 and Monday Anza with 11.3 seconds to reach their top speed.

Last edited:
Very interesting writing, written from perhaps a satiric view of ebikes as status symbols. Hidden in there is the real issue of city infrastructure, and mixing vehicles and people. Given the crazies flying about in NYC. maybe I can see how he doesn't want to admit owning an ebike at dinner parties. Most Atlantic readers have the intellect to dismiss this article as a bit silly.

Back