Atlantic Magazine on ebikes

Very interesting writing, written from perhaps a satiric view of ebikes as status symbols. Hidden in there is the real issue of city infrastructure, and mixing vehicles and people. Given the crazies flying about in NYC. maybe I can see how he doesn't want to admit owning an ebike at dinner parties. Most Atlantic readers have the intellect to dismiss this article as a bit silly.
He got beat up all over twitter.

Very interesting writing, written from perhaps a satiric view of ebikes as status symbols. Hidden in there is the real issue of city infrastructure, and mixing vehicles and people. Given the crazies flying about in NYC. maybe I can see how he doesn't want to admit owning an ebike at dinner parties. Most Atlantic readers have the intellect to dismiss this article as a bit silly.

Well said.

Now that's a more thoughtfully written article. The bike lanes in NYC sound a bit chaotic, if it's to be believed. Is that the experience of riders here? Curious if the lower speed limit in the European countries goes some way towards addressing the tension of disparate crusing speeds on shared and limited infrastructure.

Last edited:
More bad press.

That author is speaking a different language from my world. "Bike lanes"? Haven't seen one yet where I live.

I should note though that when I go into Boston, where bike lanes do exist (and I go several times a month) I don't see the level of speed conflict this author has observed. Of course I'm not driving on bike paths, but Boston doesn't have many anyway.

I'm beginning to think the nature of this "problem", if a problem even exists, is regional?

That author is speaking a different language from my world. "Bike lanes"? Haven't seen one yet where I live.

I should note though that when I go into Boston, where bike lanes do exist (and I go several times a month) I don't see the level of speed conflict this author has observed. Of course I'm not driving on bike paths, but Boston doesn't have many anyway.

I'm beginning to think the nature of this "problem", if a problem even exists, is regional?
I live in a relatively rural part of New Hampshire and I think that the nearest bike lane is nearly 30 miles north of here in Hanover. As a cyclist and now e-cyclist as well, I have never relied on cycling infrastructure, and I agree, it is probably a regional issue.

The author of this article seems to be most concerned about relatively high powered ebikes and those capable of higher assist speeds, (class 3), and up to 20 mph with a throttle, (class 2). This has been beat to death on this forum already and I don’t think that minds will be changed by more beating of that poor dead horse.

The largest speed differential is of course going up hill. Boston is relatively flat, (from quote above), so I think that ebikes and conventional bikes would probably play well together, but in the area where I live, there is very little flat and many of my rides will have climbs near or above 20%, but since this is on public roads, dirt/gravel/tarmac, there isn’t really an issue. If I was commuting in San Fransisco, I think that the speed differential would be a bigger issue.

I ride a class 1 bike and rarely use more than the eco assist level, (100% match). This makes the hills easier and it gets me up them at about the speed that I would have on a conventional bike thirty years ago, (the ebike is my fountain of youth). I still tend to gain on gravel bikes, but the speed differential is small and if the pass occurs, it is casual and there is often a friendly exchange as I am going by.

Agree with the author or not, this author seemed to have some insight and experience and be more reasonable than the Atlantic author. Where I live, I really wouldn’t care if someone was going twice my speed as long as they don’t create a hazard as they passed, but on a narrow bike path or bike lane going up a steep hill at 7 mph, an ebike that climbing at 28 mph with pedal assist or 20 mph with throttle or worse, unrestricted may create a hazard. If people ride responsibly and appropriately, the bike that they are riding is not really an issue. If someone creates a hazard, then people will be appropriately concerned.

Last edited:
I posted this thread 4 years ago. Hard to believe it was that long ago. The article fits in this conversation and I'm sure many of the newer members here probably haven't read it.

"I hate your ebike"

"That's the title of this article. Your blood might boil, you'll cry, then laugh, maybe learn something and then laugh again. This article isn't for us, the initiated, it's for the "dinosaur" bike crowd. Worth the read."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pvcycling.wordpress.com/2018/03/17/i-hate-your-e-bike/amp/

I have to remember always that these articles are just opinion pieces. There isn't always a rebuttal to them, but often there is somewhere. All of the threads here are proof to that and EBR pops up on most internet searches about ebikes.

What's the motive behind all the articles? Financial is one, politics is another and there's societal change. Internet "influencers" is seen as a career these days. Then there are actually people that just hate people that are different, or do different things than what they think is normal. Narcissism seems a common malady these days.

A lot of people just hate anything on two wheels. A motorcycle or a bicycle might not be impeding traffic, but the car driver just has to pass. How many times have you been passed in slow moving traffic, only to pass that same car, while riding on the shoulder, a couple hundred yards down the road. And heaven forbid you slow someone down.

I'm just a copy machine today because here's another repost, this time from 5 years ago. I should just change my screen name to IBM, nothing original to post🤔

Funny, but true😁

I have to remember always that these articles are just opinion pieces. There isn't always a rebuttal to them, but often there is somewhere. All of the threads here are proof to that and EBR pops up on most internet searches about ebikes.

What's the motive behind all the articles? Financial is one, politics is another and there's societal change. Internet "influencers" is seen as a career these days. Then there are actually people that just hate people that are different, or do different things than what they think is normal. Narcissism seems a common malady these days.
Wish more folks would appreciate this. I think most of these opinion pieces are click-bait, to get more eyeballs. One thing Facebook taught us, unfortunately, is that the more inflammatory, the more extreme, an article or post is, the more people engage, leading to more eyeballs and revenue. This seems to be true across a lot of platforms.

I take it you don't normally read "the Atlantic". That or this is just the first article you've read in it where you have any authority or knowledge of what they're covering. They are some of the worst pandering to a narrow minded gullible audience this side of Fox News.

Almost every one of their articles has glaring omissions, card stacking, glittering generalities, and are typically devoid of actual facts. That they'd greenlight a hit piecelike this one is hardly a shock.

If Yankee is for the blue collar go to Dunkin's for a large iced dark roast four sugars four cream in February, The Atlantic is for the effete elitist white collar criminals who go to Stahbuks because they like the illusion of prestige that comes with goofy size names, goofy fancy orders that make the employees hate them, and coffee that smells like ass just so they can rub it in other people's noses.
Quite a rant. Very well stated, but totally misplaced. The Atlantic? I read the Atlantic for opinion pieces from James Fallows, Charlie Pierce, Tom Nichols, et. al. If they're pandering to me, then I'm a pandee. I don't care.
I don't go to Starbucks or "Stahbuks" though. I agree their coffee tastes like ass, but there is no one I dislike enough to rub it in their nose.

I also don't know what's eating Ian Bogost about ebikes. In an interview with Associate Editor Isabel Fattel (Atlantic Daily newsletter I received this evening) Ian laments the end of car stick shifts, and answers questions about his beef with ebikes:

Isabel: You were much less enthusiastic about the topic of your next article, e-bikes. Can you explain why they’re “a monster made from bicycles and motorbikes,” in your words?

Ian: I got this e-bike a while back, and it just felt off to me. I was really excited about all the things that make people want to ride an e-bike—commuting without my car, getting outside. But it wasn’t ticking any of the boxes quite right for me. The piece was about why it felt to me that the e-bike was in this strange no-man’s-land between bicycles and motorbikes.

Isabel: Why do you think e-bikes haven’t managed to become cool?

Ian: I got a lot of flack for this from the bike folks, and some of it’s in the eye of the beholder. But if you look at the way that both bikes and e-bikes are marketed as “cool,” they often do so by looking more like motorcycles. Everybody knows that motorcycles are cool. They have a tradition. I think the reason people like Vespa motor scooters is that they have a cultural tradition; you can imagine getting on one and cruising around Rome or something. If you’re a bike person, then bikes are already cool to you. But we need something outside the coastal cities that are enclaves of urban-cycling advocacy.

WTF? Beneath the pseudo-intellectual babble about advocacy and "coolness", he sounds like an insecure 12 year old. Most of us riding ebikes don't give a s*** about coolness. Otherwise, we wouldn't be wearing dorky helmets and padded underwear.

Quite a rant. Very well stated, but totally misplaced. The Atlantic? I read the Atlantic for opinion pieces from James Fallows, Charlie Pierce, Tom Nichols, et. al. If they're pandering to me, then I'm a pandee. I don't care.
It's an easy trap we all fall into. It's very easy to forgive writers when they say what we want to hear, even when it's devoid of fact. Problem is I think people have become too accustomed to it, which is how dirtbags like Faux News gets away with being "entertainment" not "news".

It's a double trap when it comes to opinion pieces, as they are exactly that. More oft than not opinion articles and editorials present views without supporting facts, and that's something I'm always on the watch for in this world of lies, stupidity, and sociopathy being promoted as a virtue.
I also don't know what's eating Ian Bogost about ebikes. In an interview with Associate Editor Isabel Fattel (Atlantic Daily newsletter I received this evening) Ian laments the end of car stick shifts, and answers questions about his beef with ebikes:
See how he calls them "like motorbikes?", and never once says what bike he got? e-bikes run a full gamut of styles, tire sizes, etc. Something like a RadCity 5 or Aventon Level are not "motorcycles" by any stretch. Though you get people who know jack **** about cycling who see 4" fat tires and think it's automatically a motorcycle.

As evidenced by a friend of mine who got harassed by a Karen on a local trail her screaming at him to get the "dirt bike" off the path because it was for bicycles not motorcycles, when what he had was a Dolemite ALX... not even motorized. But people see the tires an freak the **** out!

Just like the anti-throttle pedants and people who treat the idiotic arbitrary "level" system as if it were the gospel, who freak out as if 20mph is "too fast" when my tubby tuchas approached those speeds on a crappy non-motorized 3 speed 26" cruiser. One of the articles referenced here talks about 12 being a "normal speed" for a biker, and I'm thinking on what? A single speed beach cruiser? A 12 year old on a BMX?

But then I live someplace where riding on the sidewalks is illegal and apart from a handful of poorly maintained former rail lines, we have little noteworthy bicycle infrastructure.
WTF? Beneath the pseudo-intellectual babble about advocacy and "coolness", he sounds like an insecure 12 year old.
His tone reminded me of first gen Prius owners who didn't get them to "Save the environment" but in a fit of stealth narcissism. "look at me, I own a Prius, I'm better than you!" was the attitude common at the start of "affordable" EV's. It took the apartheid blood money trust fund baby stealing credit for other people's ideas to make them "cool"

Could be he got a fat tire e-bike not for stuff like offroad or snow, but because he thought it was cool, then quickly found out it was not suited to stuff like full time commute -- at least not in its stock configuration. He doesn't sound like a "bike guy" to begin with, so he probably also went in with the false expectation that just grabbing something off the shelf would be a "purchase and done".

But more than that, it just sounds like he was trying to buy one as a status symbol. The same way know-nothing idiots light money on fire with "modern art" or Apple products. When it wasn't getting him the proper "look of respect" from his peers, that's what REALLY upset him.

Comical given how often I get compliments on how "cool" mine is, but I actually put work, time, and money into making it such.
Most of us riding ebikes don't give a s*** about coolness. Otherwise, we wouldn't be wearing dorky helmets and padded underwear.
This really cracked me up. Especially since I'm not in the spandex crowd. My gig being a padded (shoulders and elbows) flannel overshirt that looks like normal fall clothing, a leather cut with an impact panel, and a DOT certified half-helm. At least when it's cool enough. Safety or no I have great difficulty armoring up when the temperature is above 65F.

But to be fair, I'm miserable at any temp over that clothing or no; running the AC well into October (In New Hampshire). There's a reason I keep considering moving back to Alaska. Hell, who are we kidding, I'm wondering if they need help at McMurdo Sound.

Which is really the only type of "coolness" I really care about.

Anyhow, pseudo-intellectual babble is what I've come to expect from the Atlantic, though in the case of this Ian clown, he sounds like the typical effete elitist inner-city rich kid looking for something to lord over his peers. And whatever bike it was he got didn't rub an itch likely rooted in insecurity and preconceived notions.

Last edited:
I got halfway down the ebike article and saw the Electric Scooters linked article and read that instead. I miss my RadRunner sometimes and really like my electric kick scooter. I'm old so I don't care about looking dorky or being perceived as cool. I just ride what I like.

Back