At what Temperature do you NOT go for a ride ? {Above & Below, in Fahrenheit}

At what Temperature do you NOT go for a ride ? {Above & Below}

• Total voters

CSH

When is it Too Hot šŸ„µ, or Just Too Cold šŸ„¶, and you hang up your Helmet and say, maybe tomorrow ?

Below 10 deg F with >20 mph wind. 0 and no wind is fine. Doesn't get to 108 deg F here, but I unloaded a 40' trailer in that temp in Houston 1972, no fan. 90% humidity there. Had clothes in the Army that were good to -18 deg 30 mph wind, but they were stolen by a motor pool jerk. Could get used to heat again, but it takes a couple of weeks of hard exercise to open the capillaries up. Rode at 98 last summer.

Umm...most of the world would be happy to ride below 60 degrees

Interestingly the only countries left measuring in imperial units are still using the outdated time of colonisation versions rather than the slightly less outdated 1824 british weights and measurements imperial system. Jolly ho, pass the jam squire. šŸ˜œ

Attachments

• CFE73BC0-B41B-4716-AE21-AD26345EBE93.jpeg
    CFE73BC0-B41B-4716-AE21-AD26345EBE93.jpeg
    338.3 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
Hell, I don't even get out of bed. šŸ¤£
Ah, the joys of living in southern California - it's generally between 60 and 85 the entire year. Likely the best weather in the entire country! šŸ‘

As a self confessed snow bird, we have to commute twice a year to get that same environment. I'm happy to say I haven't had to shovel snow since we started doing that, and the change of scenery twice a year is great. All that aside, we are able to ride pretty much any time we want.

when i ride and the wind blowing is hotter then not moving , around 95 for me here in the DC area and if it bellow 50 when I leave the house is getting to be my limit. It can get to 40 while I am out riding .the numbers seem to be changing at i age, the acceptable range is shrinking , all my riding is pure recreational

Its 30 deg f with frost on the ground this morning and I'll hit the trail as soon as the sun comes up.Oh and that "colonisation"thing,we had a problem with that concept.Some might call us rebellious independents.Interestingly so many people from the rest of the world want to come and live here.I'm just poking a little fun here.What works for the rest of the world is fine and I wouldn't change it.What we have here works fine for us.Lets just ride and have fun

I guess your survey is in Fahrenheit. (You should have specified.)

I was commuting in the dark this week with 2C temperatures without problem. Well, my feet got a little cold but I'll fix that with some sock liners. I plan to keep riding as long as the roads are clear of snow and ice, probably as cold as -10C. The first few kilometers are usually quite cold, but as I exercise and warm up, it becomes more comfortable. The hard part is dressing correctly as too much clothing will soon make you sweat and too little, of course you'll be cold. I usually dress for how I think I'll feel once I warm up because I'm too lazy (and too much of a speed freak not wanting to stop) to stop and remove layers once I've warmed up. My commute takes just over an hour each way.

The problem with trying to switch to centigrade is that we were raised in Fahrenheit. The numbers have meaning for us in Fahrenheit. I am the first to admit that the centigrade system is far more logical, but I know what a degree F feels like, but not a degree C. So it will always be a case of "So how much is that in real money?"

The problem with trying to switch to centigrade is that we were raised in Fahrenheit. The numbers have meaning for us in Fahrenheit. I am the first to admit that the centigrade system is far more logical, but I know what a degree F feels like, but not a degree C. So it will always be a case of "So how much is that in real money?"
No problem about being raised in Fahrenheit... as I was. But when discussing temperatures it's always best to be clear, and not just assume that it's one or the other. Best to say F or C so there's no question.

I was raised in Fahrenheit and switched to Celsius in the eighties. I can't take the pole I can't remember how to convert to Fahrenheit.

It was 40Ā°F when I returned home after this afternoonā€™s ride and this about as low as I will go. I do not want to ride on ice.
Several years sgo I was on a Greek island in mid July. It was about 90Ā°F and I rented a bicycle. Rode about 12-13 miles. It was ok but I needed a lot of water. I think 90Ā°F is my upper limit.

Ah, the joys of living in southern California - it's generally between 60 and 85 the entire year. Likely the best weather in the entire country! šŸ‘
I live inland so we get quite a few triple digit days in the summer. I try to ride early, but before or after commuter/school traffic.
Donā€™t like riding in Santa Ana winds. Even with an ebike they are unpleasant.

I also agree that the centigrade scale is more practical. In addition to being used to the Fahrenheit scale, my main problem is the centigrade scale it is less accurate. 0 degrees C (freezing) can be anywhere between 31 and 33 degrees F. This can be critical in certain situations. When necessary, the conversion is simple: (C Ɨ 9/5) + 32 = F

It was 40Ā°F when I returned home after this afternoonā€™s ride and this about as low as I will go. I do not want to ride on ice.
Several years sgo I was on a Greek island in mid July. It was about 90Ā°F and I rented a bicycle. Rode about 12-13 miles. It was ok but I needed a lot of water. I think 90Ā°F is my upper limit.
Agreed. Went on a 20 mile ā€œcupcake runā€ yesterday and pushed it a bit when it was about 85. Feels tolerable when youā€™re moving, but when you stop....

How do you charge your battery when the power is out? :) :)

Last edited:
Back