Are you going to ride in snow?

A link to the product, please.
I had to look at them to see if they had a name on them. I bought them at a local outdoor store called Gander Mountain, no longer in business here. No name, here's a pic I just took.

20201210_125058.jpg

They are very much like these:

I see Amazon has them and so do many of our home centers here.

I also use strap on carbide studs for my shoes. Stopping on the bike on ice with studded tires was fine, put my foot down and woopsie 🤬
My wife wears something called yak tracs that buckle over her boots to get around campus. I hate to armor up just to go outside, but they seem to work well for her.

I've ridden a lot in the snow. Mostly commuting on the local rail trail. Powder is fun, but it doesn't last around here where walkers, horses and crosscountry skiers pack it down and it turns to ice within a day or two. I used studded tires and it was about as secure as riding on the dry trail. That doesn't resolve the ice ruts and divots created by the other traffic. It can be like riding on rubble.

My last set of studded tires I bought in 2014 and cost $92 each. 2019/20 was their last year and since I no longer make that commute I doubt I'll replace them. Maybe... I hope to ride the powder for fun, just not the ice-pack. BTW I also use my old 2014 beater ebike for the rough stuff;)

View attachment 73894
View attachment 73898
View attachment 73895

First day of spring:(

View attachment 73896

The crud from one slushy ride:eek:

View attachment 73897
The bike is actually black.

I look forward to reading about all the winter adventures 🥶
The first two pics show the dream. The last two reality.

My wife wears something called yak tracs that buckle over her boots to get around campus. I hate to armor up just to go outside, but they seem to work well for her.
I walked out the back door to go to work one day, I had to walk down a slope and it was ice covered. I was in my 40's and in good shape, but slipped on the ice. The last thing I remembered was seeing my feet higher than my head. I was knocked out, concussed with 2 broken ribs. I went to work to unlock the building, then went to the ER. I've been using studs as needed ever since.

Absolutely not, never!:p I like living and most of all I love cycling, I want to keep doing it!;)
I've seen where you ride ... Do they really get around to ploughing those back roads before Spring ?

Learn riding slowly 😄
You are saying that to a guy that regularly rides at over 40mph! :p
I've seen where you ride ... Do they really get around to ploughing those back roads before Spring ?
Some of the roads yes but some they wouldn't go near, the farmers clear the snow mostly for their own access! We haven't actually had a major snowfall since 2010, I hope it stays that way!

But that's something you cannot. Shame on you. Could you practise riding at speeds not exceeding 8 mph? (2 mph riding is a very advanced level) 😎

What snow?

Just after I ordered anti-slip cleats for my boots as well as studded winter tyres for my Vado... 😄

Back