Are you going to ride in snow?

We ride in snow or we don't go...

I've already ridden on snow and ice quite a bit this year, and intend to continue.
Yesterday was +13C and I put out Xmas stuff as I'd ridden a few longer rides over the weekend. The previous week was pretty well above +10 all week and i got lots of rides in. Didn't need winter riding gear. Now I'll need to put it on again.

But to summarise - yes I do. Studless at present, but that could change.

I own a 26" fat tire bike with 25A controller, and have Veeco Snow shoes for it, but not going to press my luck. I'll ride after the park employees clear the paths with their tiny snow plows.

I own a 26" fat tire bike with 25A controller, and have Veeco Snow shoes for it, but not going to press my luck. I'll ride after the park employees clear the paths with their tiny snow plows.
I just learned something... I had no idea that anyone cleared the paths in parks ...

. I'll ride after the park employees clear the paths with their tiny snow plows.
**** city barricades the Big 4 pedestrian/bike bridge and the sidewalks on 2nd street bridge across the Ohio when it snows. Just in time for symphony concerts at Ky Center for the Arts. Last bus home is 930 PM. Big 4 is wide enough to drive a 40 hp tractor across.

After a March 2018 blizzard, I thought I'd take my Fatboy out for a spin. Usually how it works for me, is that after I get everything shoveled clear following a snow storm, I'm too worn out to then go out and have fun riding in the stuff........or the storm gets cleared out by warming temps that begin the great, slushy melt-down.

But following that ride (and I knew it was coming), I spent a good long time immediately after the ride getting all of the road salt, calcium chloride, battery acid and other ridiculous chemicals that the state of NJ drops on it's roadways before, during and after each snow storm.

And that stuff is bad news on our alloy and steel bike components if you don't get it off in time. No thanks; I'll wait until the sun and rain flushes the roads and paths clear.

100_3040.JPG

100_3045.JPG

This is a county road in southern New Jersey. The designated bike path is under the white snow, several feet from that outer tire track. Aside from the dangers of riding a bicycle so close to motor vehicles on the edge of their own traction; the other big issue is the chemical treatment the County lays down prior to every forecasted snow storm, as well as follow up salt and brine applications during plowing operations. For myself, none of that is worth going out for a post storm spin.

After a March 2018 blizzard, I thought I'd take my Fatboy out for a spin. Usually how it works for me, is that after I get everything shoveled clear following a snow storm, I'm too worn out to then go out and have fun riding in the stuff........or the storm gets cleared out by warming temps that begin the great, slushy melt-down.

But following that ride (and I knew it was coming), I spent a good long time immediately after the ride getting all of the road salt, calcium chloride, battery acid and other ridiculous chemicals that the state of NJ drops on it's roadways before, during and after each snow storm.

And that stuff is bad news on our alloy and steel bike components if you don't get it off in time. No thanks; I'll wait until the sun and rain flushes the roads and paths clear.

View attachment 73819
This is a county road in southern New Jersey. The designated bike path is under the white snow, several feet from that outer tire track. Aside from the dangers of riding a bicycle so close to motor vehicles on the edge of their own traction; the other big issue is the chemical treatment the County lays down prior to every forecasted snow storm, as well as follow up salt and brine applications during plowing operations. For myself, none of that is worth going out for a post storm spin.
I grew up in Ohio, back then they dumped tons of rock salt on the roads, that would melt during the day and refreeze at night. Most cars were pretty rusty ...

... just ordered big fat fenders to minimize road spray on our Como's tender parts.

Rock salt is bad enuff' but new application in most areas is "Brine". Sprayed from trucks as pre-treatment it's more effective at keeping road surface treated instead of plowed off. It's also much more effective at permeating or etching every mechanical and electrical part on vehicles.

... travelling NYS thruway has our car looking like a cow Salt Lick after driving in the misty Brine cloud whipped up by vehicles ... .

Attachments

• 100_4522.JPG
    100_4522.JPG
    519.4 KB · Views: 276
  • 100_4532.JPG
    100_4532.JPG
    646.1 KB · Views: 263
  • 100_4526.JPG
    100_4526.JPG
    703.1 KB · Views: 259
Not something I ever look forward to, that's for sure. If I can avoid it I will. I much rather drive north and rent the awesome sleds to ride on "groomed" trails with banked curves and incredible control in the snow. When on an E-bike or any bike, is another story altogether. Perhaps if I tried it with the studded tires, I may enjoy it, however, the bike is probably staying inside during this winter season.

Not planning on it. I rode a bike on snow many years ago and never cared for it. I might try it on a bike trail just for fun some time though given how I feel about falling at my age, I’m not likely to ask for trouble.

I will probably ride in soft snow, as soon as it gets icy i will park up! I'm talking AS SOON AS the ice shows up! A beefy 1000w pushing a heavy bike on 4.8" tyres screams mega wheelspins and uncontrollable front end slide outs! All adds up to a beat up bike and even more beat up owner!

When on an E-bike or any bike, is another story altogether. Perhaps if I tried it with the studded tires,

... always rode bikes to school back in the mid 20'th century. 'Balloon tire' Schwinn, Columbia or Ward JC's, we would wrap cord / balebinding around the wheel/tires in winter.

Rollfast ...0006 RW 64BIKE.jpg

I've ridden a lot in the snow. Mostly commuting on the local rail trail. Powder is fun, but it doesn't last around here where walkers, horses and crosscountry skiers pack it down and it turns to ice within a day or two. I used studded tires and it was about as secure as riding on the dry trail. That doesn't resolve the ice ruts and divots created by the other traffic. It can be like riding on rubble.

My last set of studded tires I bought in 2014 and cost $92 each. 2019/20 was their last year and since I no longer make that commute I doubt I'll replace them. Maybe... I hope to ride the powder for fun, just not the ice-pack. BTW I also use my old 2014 beater ebike for the rough stuff;)

IMAG0574.jpg
IMAG0580.jpg
IMAG0587.jpg

First day of spring:(

Screenshot_20161018-175204.png

The crud from one slushy ride:eek:

IMAG0596.jpg
The bike is actually black.

I look forward to reading about all the winter adventures 🥶

I've ridden a lot in the snow. Mostly commuting on the local rail trail. Powder is fun, but it doesn't last around here where walkers, horses and crosscountry skiers pack it down and it turns to ice within a day or two. I used studded tires and it was about as secure as riding on the dry trail. That doesn't resolve the ice ruts and divots created by the other traffic. It can be like riding on rubble.

My last set of studded tires I bought in 2014 and cost $92 each. 2019/20 was their last year and since I no longer make that commute I doubt I'll replace them. Maybe... I hope to ride the powder for fun, just not the ice-pack. BTW I also use my old 2014 beater ebike for the rough stuff;)

View attachment 73894
View attachment 73898
View attachment 73895

First day of spring:(

View attachment 73896

The crud from one slushy ride:eek:

View attachment 73897
The bike is actually black.

I look forward to reading about all the winter adventures 🥶
That stuff AIN’T for playing in! That’s a serious injury if you come off on that rutted stuff. Lol

Back