Are there Trunk Racks strong enough for an ebike?

Hi all,
I am really struggling... I get that ideally I should go with a hitch style bike rack, but good grief, by the time I get a hitch installed and buy a rack it's nearly as much as I spent on my ebike. I have a Subaru Legacy - Subaru would charge me $375 labor and $450 for the hitch. Are there really no trunk rack options?
I have the same e-bike as another member posted (TownieGo7D). I believe the weight of 48 lbs. includes the battery, which weighs about 5 lbs. So, remove the battery and the weight is closer to 43 lbs. Because I lease my car, I cannot install a hitch-mounted bike rack.

After much searching, I found this truck-mounted bike rack from Tyger (link below). The website says it can hold one bike up to 55 lbs. And I have a step-thru, so I also needed an adapter bar. The Tyger adaptor bar says it holds up to 33 lbs., which is insufficient for this bike, so I found a Thule adapter bar that says holds up to 50 lbs. And YES, it worked!! I only had to drive about 6 miles, and was on a highway for only a mile or so, and it was very secure. I haven't transported the e-bike for a longer trip yet, so I can't comment on that. As another member noted, I tested first by applying force and drove slowly around my neighborhood at first. Bike Rack: https://www.tygerauto.com/trunk-mou...cks-minivans-and-suvs-1-bike-tg-rk1b204b.html
Thule Adapter Bar: https://www.thule.com/en-us/bike-rack/hitch-bike-rack-accessories/thule-frame-adapter-_-982xt999

Between what could happen to your car with too much weight and strain on the rear hatch, as well as liability should things come apart on the road with too much speed, wind or ruts and rocks on the road, using a trunk rack for your ebike is the epitome of penny wise and pound foolish.

If you can't afford to put out $300 for a hitch at U-haul and a properly rated hitch rack, you really can't afford an accident where insurance is denied due to inadequate, under-rated equipment being installed when suitable properly rated stuff is available for a few hundred dollars more.

You don't have to buy "the best" just what is rated to do the job without damage or unacceptable risk.

Many hitches can be installed w/o drilling, as they use available holes. I've installed two on my own, when I was younger and strong enough to bench press the weight of a hitch, and neither required any drilling.

You might ask your local trailer shop if your car meets that criteria. Even if there is a hole required, when the hitch could be removed, a cover plate can be put over it afterwards.

As for that adapter bar, I hope your bike support points, like the seat and the handlebrs don't come out with the weight of a Townie, I didn't like using them for the women's bikes.

Between what could happen to your car with too much weight and strain on the rear hatch, as well as liability should things come apart on the road with too much speed, wind or ruts and rocks on the road, using a trunk rack for your ebike is the epitome of penny wise and pound foolish.

If you can't afford to put out $300 for a hitch at U-haul and a properly rated hitch rack, you really can't afford an accident where insurance is denied due to inadequate, under-rated equipment being installed when suitable properly rated stuff is available for a few hundred dollars more.

You don't have to buy "the best" just what is rated to do the job without damage or unacceptable risk.
Appreciate your comment, but if you had read my post, you’ll see that the bike rack I used is guaranteed to support weight up to 55 pounds, and the adapter bar is guaranteed to support 50 pounds. I doubt they would make that guarantee if it wasn’t true.

Many hitches can be installed w/o drilling, as they use available holes. I've installed two on my own, when I was younger and strong enough to bench press the weight of a hitch, and neither required any drilling.

You might ask your local trailer shop if your car meets that criteria. Even if there is a hole required, when the hitch could be removed, a cover plate can be put over it afterwards.

As for that adapter bar, I hope your bike support points, like the seat and the handlebrs don't come out with the weight of a Townie, I didn't like using them for the women's bikes.
Appreciate your comment, but I lease my car. I cannot modify it or put a hitch on it; otherwise I’m in violation of the lease.

Appreciate your comment, but if you had read my post, you’ll see that the bike rack I used is guaranteed to support weight up to 55 pounds, and the adapter bar is guaranteed to support 50 pounds. I doubt they would make that guarantee if it wasn’t true.
I did read your post. My concern was not the rack coming apart but rather damage the weighted rack could cause on the rear deck of your car with that much combined weight especially going over a less than smooth road surface.

It looks like on the bottom the rack sits on top of the fender. With modern, lightweight, plastic fender covers it might be at risk. The upper rests on the trunk lid, which are being made with increasingly lightweight and thin metal, and is the one that has lots of weight and leverage.
Perhaps others can recount success stories using this kind of rack to carry an ebike, but I have not read of one.

I have a Kia Niro PHEV, for which a trailer hitch is not recommended (apparently this is connected to routing of certain wiring). I also have a Turbo Vado SL, a lightweight E-bike (my size weighs approx. 37 to 38lbs). I can fit the ebike in the car without detaching a wheel by moving the front passenger seat to it's most forward position with the both rear seats folded down. Unfortunately, that means the vehicle can only be used by the driver. Obviously, I would like to have a better solution.

It seems to me that despite the fact that various trunk racks are not designed for e-bikes and typically have a weight limit of 35 lbs/bike, it seems to me that there really should not be a problem as long as I have a rack rated for two or more bikes (35/lb each) and only load one bike on the rack. Nevertheless, when I ask for 'advice' about this idea, the typical response is : Don't put an e-bike on a trunk rack!

But, my belief is this isn't always true. I think the right answer is: It depends on the total weight being loaded and whether you have a rack that is designed for less than the weight of the one ebike loaded on the rack.

I am seeking comments about my viewpoint. Am I completely wrong? Should I just give up on a trunk rack? Am I missing some important fact so that my logic about total weight is flawed?

To note: there are a few trunk racks that appear to fit the Niro and can hold more than 38 lbs (total), easily: Saris Bones EX 2 and EX 3, Thule OutWay Trunk Mount Bike Rack for 2 Bikes, Yakima Fullback 2 are three.

There is also a platform-trunk mount rack (omacshop.com) that is designed to accept an ebike up to 50 or so lbs without a trailer hitch. So people do this. But I don't think this rack fits the Niro.

So unless I want to go to a roof rack (and that is possible), or somehow get a trailer hitch (I am sure there is a way), it seems my best choices for a trunk rank, assuming I can use one for a single ebike, are the 3 racks mentioned (Yakima, Saris, Thule) I really don't want to try to lift a 38 lb. bike to and from the roof of the car. . The Niro does have two parallel rails to which cross-bars can be attached.

All comments about the best ways to solve my problem are welcome!

Last edited:
I have a Kia Niro PHEV, for which a trailer hitch is not recommended. I also have a Turbo Vado SL, a lightweight E-bike (my size weighs approx. 37 to 38lbs). I can fit the bike in the car without detaching a wheel by moving the front passenger seat to it's most forward position, and with the both rear seats folded down. Unfortunately, that means the vehicle can only be used by the driver. Obviously, I would like to have a better solution. It seems to me that despite the fact that various trunk racks are not designed for e-bikes and typically have a weight limit of 35lb/bike, it seems to me that there really should not be a problem as long as I have a rack rated for two or more bikes (35/lb each) and only load one bike on the rack. Nevertheless, when I ask for 'advice' about this, the typical response is : Don't put an e-bike on a trunk rack.

But, my sense is the right answer is: It depends on the total weight being loaded and whether you have a rack that, in total, is designed for less than the weight of the one bike to be transported.

So I am seeking comments about my view. That is, am I completely wrong? Am I missing some important fact whereby my logic is flawed? Finally, there are a few trunk racks that appear to fit the Niro: Saris Bones EX 2 and EX 3, Thule OutWay Trunk Mount Bike Rack for 2 Bikes, Yakima Fullback 2,

There is also a platform-trunk mount rack that is designed to accept an ebike up to 50 or so lbs, but I don't think it fits the Niro. So unless I want to go to a roof rack (and that is possible), it seems my best choices for a trunk rank, assuming I can use one for a single ebike, are the 3 racks mentioned. I really don't want to try to lift a 38 lb. bike to and from the roof of the car, but I suppose that can be done. The Niro does have two parallel rails to which cross-bars can be attached. All ideas and comments about my ideas welcome!
I have the Kona EV (similar size to your Kia) and installed a 1.25 inch hitch at U Haul. Total price including rack was under 300 US. It holds my 1.25" 1 UP Quick Rack which carries my 60 lb ebikes just fine. (one at a time)

Tried to post a pic but it appears the attach files is on the fritts...

Back