Are there any downsides to waxing the chain of an ST5?

Petropoliskhan

Region
Europe
City
Brussels
Hi, while reading the swiss Stromer forum in german with google translate I happened upon a post by member Flachlandstromer who has waxed his chain and apparently not had to clean it or his drivetrain for several thousands of kilometers.Reading through Google translate is ok but communicating can be a little cumbersome.
This sounds too good to be true. He has posted pictures of a spotless drivetrain/chain combo see below.
wax2.jpegwax 1.jpeg
Has anyone done this Stateside? There are many videos on YT that show people doing this on road bikes does it make sense on a class 3 ebike ?Are there any downsides and what are they?
I hope I haven't violated any forum rules in Switzerland or here on EBR. Anyhow credit to him for this apparently post.

Thank you

Last edited:
Here's a good video source on waxing your chain:

I thought about going that route too, but I think I'll wait until it's time to buy a new chain.

I've been using a waxed chain on my ST5 for about 1200 miles. Twice the chain popped off and that's when you really understand why you waxed the chain.
I re-wax about every 500 miles. ( no particular reason)

I've been using a waxed chain on my ST5 for about 1200 miles. Twice the chain popped off and that's when you really understand why you waxed the chain.
I re-wax about every 500 miles. ( no particular reason)
Hi Insider, thank you for taking the time to reply. I’m not sure I understand your answer ... “ Twice the chain popped off “ Why is that good, are you satisfied? Could you clarify?
Thanks

Hi Insider, thank you for taking the time to reply. I’m not sure I understand your answer ... “ Twice the chain popped off “ Why is that good, are you satisfied? Could you clarify?
Thanks
Your hands are not covered with oily lube after putting the chain back on.

Back