Are Flat Out, Slime and Stans a scam?

Not doubting anyone else's experience, but I've used Slime for years and never had a hint of a clogged valve. It shouldn't take a lot of air pressure to blow any Slime out of the valve if some did get in there. And it's water soluble, I can't compare it to other sealants because I've only ever used Slime and it has definitely worked very well for me.

TT
Slime can clog a tube. So can FlatOut. But to get that result you have to use it wrong. Any time you have tire sealant of any kind inside of a tube, you have to rotate the air valve to the upper half of the arc of its circle (think of the valve as sitting at 1' o'clock. Definitely no more tha 3'o'clock). THEN you put air in or bleed air out.

If you don't do that, the goo can clump near the valve and the act of releasing air becomes the same thing as a puncture. the goo near the valve rushes into it. Clogged valve. BUT knowing this, its easy to never let it happen.

I think some LBS's will tell customers that so they will purchase the more expensive Tannus product along with the labor to install them. I'm sure they work for some people but after seeing how they flatten out over time it's no different than using a thicker thorn proof tube. One of my LBS offer Tannus along with sealants. I'm going to take my bikes down in the next month or two and have them "Desert Proof" my tires. They install a puncture resistant liner, thicker thorn proof tube and then add sealant. Price is cheap too. Will give me a little peace of mind while riding. It's not 100% flat proof but for my type of riding (I don't ride off-road) it should work fine.

This vid gives you an idea:
That is my worry. Over time Tannus becomes a $50 thornproof inner tube.

I have mixed feelings about the sealant. Yes, it definitely works. Yes, it definitely clogs Presta valves. The issue I have is most of inner tubes I can buy here are pre-filled with a sealant. Whatever the position of the valve on the circle is, the valve gets clogged. I need to release some air from the tube (with the sealant gushing through the valve) before I can reinflate the wheel!

I've been using Slime sealant for many years and it definitely works to seal small punctures. Yes, it can clog valves, even if you store the bike with the valves up. It's a simple fix with a Schrader valve. Just remove the core and rinse it with water.

For me, the biggest downside to using sealant is, it makes a mess inside the tire when you do get a flat. Its very difficult to patch a sealant covered tube. I carry alcohol wipes for cleanup just in case, although I've never had to use them. I usually replace a tube rather than patch it.

I have mixed feelings about the sealant. Yes, it definitely works. Yes, it definitely clogs Presta valves. The issue I have is most of inner tubes I can buy here are pre-filled with a sealant. Whatever the position of the valve on the circle is, the valve gets clogged. I need to release some air from the tube (with the sealant gushing through the valve) before I can reinflate the wheel!
interesting I run tubeless but I wonder if putting stem at the top on the tubes that are pre-filled and the waiting a while for gravity{pain in the butt} to drain it towards the bottom would work or is there just to much in there for that to work?

Are Flat Out, Slime and Stans a scam? I already purchased Flat Out, but my LBS guy (who assembled my Aventure) said not to waste my time with any of them because the are just a scam, and that I would be better served to buy Tannus Armor or puncture resistant tubes. As an out of shape senior, having a flat miles from my car in Texas could be a serious problem.
The answer is if done properly the are not a scam but..... They can't fix or prevent every flat. So carry stuff to change it that works the easiest for you should you need to in a pinch or you could look at crushcore as well as tannus. Keep mind you'll still need to change a flat you can just run on the crushcore temporarily if the tire isn't shredded

For me, the biggest downside to using sealant is, it makes a mess inside the tire when you do get a flat. Its very difficult to patch a sealant covered tube. I carry alcohol wipes for cleanup just in case, although I've never had to use them. I usually replace a tube rather than patch it.
Interesting point. I had forgotten about that part. I have had Slime seal large or small holes and the degree of goo infestation between tire and tube is directly proportional to hole size. Since Slime is slimy it works its way around and even in small quantities is a mess. Slime never seems to dry and it can weep after 'sealing' a tire, so really it hasn't sealed so much as slowed the leak so the bike is rideable. Back when I was relying on it, I would wait until I had gathered a few holes and then pick a lazy weekend to pull the tire and do a proper patch on each of the weepers, and clean out all the goo inside. I just used a wet towel, then an absorbent cloth towel, and strong language. That was enough to prep for a Rema-type cold vulcanizing patch.

FlatOut has different properties after a flat. It seems to work much more quickly, so much less goo comes out period. It also dries hard. My LBS found a hole it sealed on a tubed wheel they worked on. 'hey check THIS out' and showed me a little hard nub. Barely noticeable. No goo inside between tire and tube.

For the tubeless tire they sealed nail holes on, I have not seen the inside of the tire as the thing never went out of service.

interesting I run tubeless but I wonder if putting stem at the top on the tubes that are pre-filled and the waiting a while for gravity{pain in the butt} to drain it towards the bottom would work or is there just to much in there for that to work?
I can't speak to pre-filled tubes as I never used them, but a fat tube with 16 oz of FlatOut inside doesn't need much time - I certainly don't have the patience to give it any. For a fat tube with Slime in it - I used 8 oz on the big stuff, which is double the recommendation - same story. I didn't bother waiting longer than it took me to open up the valve and deploy/attach the pump. Same with tubes down to 26x2.0" that had lesser amounts of either sealant inside. Once in a while I would goof and leave the valve in the wrong position, but I was always able to just reposition it, attach the pump and the act of pumping up blew out the goo.

Where I ride, the biggest flat source we have is goatheads. Back in 2007ish I got a bad case of goatheads, spending over an hour trying to get them all out of the tire (40+) ran out of tubes and all my patches.

Started using stans in tubes back then and have only had 1 flat since (ran over 3 nails, fixed it by injecting a fresh 2oz bottle of stans on the trail).

My tires always have goatheads in them.

As a side advantage, I dont have to fill up the tires that much(usually 2weeks to a month) as they dont leak air as fast.

I have also do tubeless with stans on my acoustic bikes for the weight savings

Thanks everyone for your wisdom.... I am sold, and will purchase Tannus Armor, smaller tubes and install the Flat Out in the near future. At 63 I am still somewhat influenced by "professionals" usually business owners who can look me straight in the eye and spoon feed me complete and total B.S. about their areas of expertise, even when it doesn't sound right. When I have contradictory evidence or proof to the contrary, it still utterly amazes me that they have the nerve to say it. I had already viewed Bolton's video and the Flat Out video, but ”my” guy owns a bike shop.... WTH?? right? thanks again!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your wisdom.... I am sold, and will purchase Tannus Armor, smaller tubes and install the Flat Out in the near future. At 63 I am still somewhat influenced by "professionals" usually business owners who can look me straight in the eye and spoon feed me complete and total B.S. about their areas of expertise, even when it doesn't sound right. When I have contradictory evidence or proof to the contrary, it still utterly amazes me that they have the nerve to say it. I had already viewed Bolton's video and the Flat Out video, but the guy owns a bike shop.... WTH?? right? thanks again!
I would guess the answer is if people use slime or flat out then said "professional" will have a lot less flat tires to fix. It all comes down to $$$$.

I had already viewed Bolton's video and the Flat Out video, but the guy owns a bike shop.... WTH?? right? thanks again!
I have watched many of his videos, and I have to say that he is pretty fair and honest for a retailer. He's clearly as much an interested bike nerd as a business owner. Obviously you have to use caution when anyone is hawking their own wares, but many of his more general info videos are quite reasonable.

I have watched many of his videos, and I have to say that he is pretty fair and honest for a retailer. He's clearly as much an interested bike nerd as a business owner. Obviously you have to use caution when anyone is hawking their own wares, but many of his more general info videos are quite reasonable.
Agreed. I have watched a number of his videos and find them informative and entertaining .

Another vote here for Orange Seal. I will try Flat Out in the future but I cannot imagine putting 16 oz into even a fat tire. That would add a pound. I run a tubeless setup exclusively but I don't run nearly as high a pressure as many here seem to. I run 26 front and 30 rear on a 2.25" tire and anywhere from 15 pounds down to 2 pounds on a fat tire. Me and the bike are 300 lb. When I get a large puncture in a tire the orange seal is not great at sealing it up completely but if I rotate the tire so the hole is on the ground and then reach into my pack a pull out the automotive tubeless tire plugs and put one or two in the hole it has always been sealed before I lost all air pressure. Pump it up a bit and go.

Another vote here for Orange Seal. I will try Flat Out in the future but I cannot imagine putting 16 oz into even a fat tire. That would add a pound. I run a tubeless setup exclusively but I don't run nearly as high a pressure as many here seem to. I run 26 front and 30 rear on a 2.25" tire and anywhere from 15 pounds down to 2 pounds on a fat tire. Me and the bike are 300 lb. When I get a large puncture in a tire the orange seal is not great at sealing it up completely but if I rotate the tire so the hole is on the ground and then reach into my pack a pull out the automotive tubeless tire plugs and put one or two in the hole it has always been sealed before I lost all air pressure. Pump it up a bit and go.
I run orange seal and 28 psi and I agree there is a point when the extra weight can be a negative. I bring a tube most time for a temp fix when needed and then make a proper repair later if it even goes that far.

I’m running 26x2.8 tires/tubes. I contacted Flat Out and was told to use 8 to 10oz. of product in each tire.
Thanks for that! one Of the reviews I saw recommended 16oz for the 4” tubes and I was’t sure how that translated to smaller tubes. I ordered the Tannus Armor Bundle from Rad earlier today to avoid guesswork on which size tubes.

Wouldn’t it make more sense to have the valves at the bottom of tire (near 6 o’clock) so any goo can drain out before you put air in?

That’s how I’ve been pumping my tires and have had no issues with tire sealant clogs.

Wouldn’t it make more sense to have the valves at the bottom of tire (near 6 o’clock) so any goo can drain out before you put air in?

That’s how I’ve been pumping my tires and have had no issues with tire sealant clogs.
If I had my valve at 6 o'clock and put the recommended 8oz of slime in my tire it might be like putting 10 oz of water in an 8 oz glass.

Back