Region
USA
City
Northeast Pennsylvania
I got this email from Archer today:

Archer Components
We're not stoked to say this...
But the time has come to shut down our business.​
We have one last batch of batteries, chargers and remotes (sorry no more shifters). Head over to the shop to get what you need to keep your ride shifting smooth for years to come.
Don't worry, I'm still offering warranty support from my garage as long as supplies hold out. Just email [email protected] with your order number and issue.​
ADKq_NaytK17htdv1YcFVDq-DIIpdG3EBfT1pm1HgTyGn89wbHkyJ1ev11TXuUzxCBFMpMPrgHSJCkvguVAAqLBPDT5Vb7sZDX4G6pYHSOiwT8_nZgNKQNYrSElWC5BLCWNSZezW4oFjCAs=s0-d-e1-ft
Archer Components
275 Technology Circle
Suite B
Scotts Valley CA 95066
United States​
instagram

facebook
Too bad. I've been using their D1X e-shifters for several seasons now. They are holding up well but I dread the thought of going back to manual cable operated shifters when and if the e-shifters wear out. Unfortunately, there are no comparable products on the market right now. :(

I was an early adopter and purchased their D1X shifter soon after it came on the market.
Presently, it sits in a 'bike parts' drawer, because of a battery drain issue. I have two sets of batteries and neither, fully charged, will last a 30 mile ride.
So much for being an early adopter. :(

I have them on 4 of my bikes. Two are the first generation but still work well. I did replace the Archer batteries with an aftermarket brand though, when the OEM batteries failed. I only have to charge them 2 or 3 times per season. The problem I had was getting the batteries out of the shifter to charge. I just about had to stand the bike on the front tire so they would slide out. I eventually started using a magnetic pick up tool to pull them out. I complained to Archer about this and they began selling a "battery extractor" tool which used my idea.

The other two shifters are the newer gen 2 version with lithium batteries. They hold a charge very well. I eventually bought the battery adapter which lets me power the shifter from the bike battery, so no recharging is required.

Archer did have some problems with the product but, worked them out by letting customers do the beta testing. I guess this turned off a lot of potential customers. By the time they released the gen 2 version, there weren't many takers. Too bad, since the new model is bullet proof from my experience anyway.

The concept of an e-shifter that uses almost ANY derailleur is a sound idea. Unfortunately, there are no other e-shifters like this on the market. If you want electronic shifting, you have to spend big bucks for the likes of the Sram AXS derailleur.

There is a new electronic shifter on the market-WHEELTOP EDS, from China. The difference is while the Archer unit connects to the stock derailleur the EDS comes with a derailleur and shifter.
I wonder if Archer saw the writing on the wall.....

Interesting product. Thanks for the heads up.

I have a few questions though, like how a single derailleur can work with 3 to 14 cog cassettes. How does it compensate for the different pitch chains.

Hopefully, the Archer shifters will hold out long enough for some reviews to show up with answers.

Back