Anyone with info on Ariel Rider Rideal model ?

smary

Region
USA
Looking for any reviews or independent evaluations on the Ariel Rider “Rideal” model. I’m not having much luck with searching. Maybe it’s a recent release, I’m not sure. It is currently on back order through their website but shipping end of May. The price is $999 with 750w geared hub motor, 48v 14ah battery, Shimano 6 speed, twist throttle, 30-60 miles per charge and weighs 52 lbs. Comes in high or mid step.

This would be my first bike and after getting input on the Buying Advice forum, it was recommended I look at geared vs single speed with higher watt motor since it will be needed for use on hilly terrain (but on pavement). It checks off all the boxes and is within my budget of $1,300 or less and is in fact the first and only bike I’ve seen at that price with a 750w motor.

There are several offerings on Amazon for 250w-500w geared bikes at that price or less but I’m skeptical of those and not sure if I should be on this one as well. I would appreciate any review or input on Ariel Rider as a company but more specifically, this bike.

Thank you.

It literally just got announced and put up on their website less than a week ago.

Had a few email correspondences with them because it ticks off what i really want, and at a price i really like. [As an aside, i've been fawning over their M-class bike, but the price always kept me at bay.]

A few tidbits i got back from the email response:

Weight: 52lbs, with the battery.

Screen: Comes with an LED screen. I had asked if it could be upgraded in the future for an LCD display?
Answer: "The screen isn't compatible with other screens as the controllers need to be matched to screens".

Cafe lock compatible: It is not compatible with cafe locks.

Handlebar: I was curious about replacing with a THINstem.
Answer: "The handlebars can be removed and replaced."

As for shipping time/date, estimated for May 2021 (had initially been June 2021 before it was revised):
Answer: "I apologize about the shipping date, this is a brand new model that is still in production so that is when the first batch will ship."

I'm excited for this. I've dilly dallied for too long. At the price, can't ask for too much more. Hopefully we'll see some reviews sooner.

The thing that concerned me was it had only a 500 watt controller with a 750 watt motor. Idk if they are using a 500 watt nominal with 750 peak motor and listing it as a 750 watt or just a mistake in the listing. Sure would like to see better gearing than the 6 speed too, my lectric xp has a 7 speed and needs a lower hill climbing gear and a higher top gear as you end up ghost peddling at 20mph. I believe most 6speeds can be upgraded to an 8 speed with new freewheel & shifter. Still a great deal anyway and have to admit I'm tempted to get one

It would be a good stealth base bike too as the battery looks easy to relocate to a more camouflaged configuration, backpack, bike bag etc.

Kinda getting tired of a few snobby road bike riders looking with disdain over my ebike...

Thank you for your input. That is the type of advice I'm looking for in that you mention the motor concern (is it really a 500w instead of a 750w) and the gear count. I appreciate the information.

Probably 500 W sustained motor, 750 W peak. Ride1Up recently changed how they listed their motors because they said other sellers were not advertising sustained wattage ratings, and they wanted to be consistent with the norm of how others were advertising their bikes. And that 16T for a small cog on the Ariel is definitely too low geared for a top gear for my taste. And personally, for a little less money, I would much prefer a Ride1Up 500 over this, or the Core-5 for even less.

The thing that concerned me was it had only a 500 watt controller with a 750 watt motor. Idk if they are using a 500 watt nominal with 750 peak motor and listing it as a 750 watt or just a mistake in the listing. Sure would like to see better gearing than the 6 speed too, my lectric xp has a 7 speed and needs a lower hill climbing gear and a higher top gear as you end up ghost peddling at 20mph. I believe most 6speeds can be upgraded to an 8 speed with new freewheel & shifter. Still a great deal anyway and have to admit I'm tempted to get one

It would be a good stealth base bike too as the battery looks easy to relocate to a more camouflaged configuration, backpack, bike bag etc.

Kinda getting tired of a few snobby road bike riders looking with disdain over my ebike...
I think it was a typo. I emailed them and they updated it to a 750 watt controller.

The number of gears is less important than the gear ratio spread for each application. The lectric xp has a 52t crank and a 14-28t freewheel while the rideal has a 48t crank and a 16-48t freewheel, which means the lectric xp would actually have a better ratio for high speed but a much worse hill climbing gear than the rideal despite having 7 speeds.

It's pretty common for people to move to an 11-27t freewheel on the lectric to help with that high speed issue and it's not too hard to do.

Probably 500 W sustained motor, 750 W peak. Ride1Up recently changed how they listed their motors because they said other sellers were not advertising sustained wattage ratings, and they wanted to be consistent with the norm of how others were advertising their bikes. And that 16T for a small cog on the Ariel is definitely too low geared for a top gear for my taste. And personally, for a little less money, I would much prefer a Ride1Up 500 over this, or the Core-5 for even less.

The 500 is pretty nice but is 250 dollars more expensive, not less. It does have a better high speed gearing (44/11 vs 48/16), but also a worse low speed gearing (44/30 vs 48/48), and the rideal has more torque and a larger battery. I'd say capping out at 16t is fine since it has a larger crank and only does 20mph versus 28mph on the 500. You definitely miss out on the front fork, though.

Last edited:
Hey guys, came across this thread when looking for an e-bike for around 1k and looks like now is the best time to find one. Some of this conversation is way over my head, I'm not really much of a biker, but my wife and I plan to get bikes and our area is pretty hilly, and knowing myself if I don't have e-assist I'm not going to ride much. I started looking at the Radmission, then found the Rideal, and have been looking at some of the other bikes listed here. I was curious, how important are shocks, such as the one on the Ride1Up 500, and are they worth a 25% premium (I'm sure there are other things that make that bike more expensive, I just don't know enough to understand). Additionally, I'm not actually familiar with gearing on bikes, I understand the idea that they provide leverage for biking uphill to make it easier, but I was curious if the electric throttle requires any special use of the gears, like do I have to "shift gears" like in a car if I'm using the throttle?
Also, for the Rideal, they have the high-step vs mid-step, I get the height differences, but if I'm at the top end of the mid-step (I'm 6'2"), do I definitely go for the high step? Is there any other reasons to consider mid-step? Seems the difference is mostly in the wheels so kind of curious why the placement of the bar makes a difference.
Finally, it seems that hub motors are a lot more popular than mid-drive, at least in the sub $2k price range, is it because they're cheaper to build, or are they more versatile hence preferred? I just read that mid-drive you wouldn't have a throttle option (I presume because then the pedals would spin) but given my lack of knowledge figured I'd ask.

Appreciate any insight, and don't mind jokes at my expense :)

Thank you

Hey guys, came across this thread when looking for an e-bike for around 1k and looks like now is the best time to find one. Some of this conversation is way over my head, I'm not really much of a biker, but my wife and I plan to get bikes and our area is pretty hilly, and knowing myself if I don't have e-assist I'm not going to ride much. I started looking at the Radmission, then found the Rideal, and have been looking at some of the other bikes listed here. I was curious, how important are shocks, such as the one on the Ride1Up 500, and are they worth a 25% premium (I'm sure there are other things that make that bike more expensive, I just don't know enough to understand). Additionally, I'm not actually familiar with gearing on bikes, I understand the idea that they provide leverage for biking uphill to make it easier, but I was curious if the electric throttle requires any special use of the gears, like do I have to "shift gears" like in a car if I'm using the throttle?
Also, for the Rideal, they have the high-step vs mid-step, I get the height differences, but if I'm at the top end of the mid-step (I'm 6'2"), do I definitely go for the high step? Is there any other reasons to consider mid-step? Seems the difference is mostly in the wheels so kind of curious why the placement of the bar makes a difference.
Finally, it seems that hub motors are a lot more popular than mid-drive, at least in the sub $2k price range, is it because they're cheaper to build, or are they more versatile hence preferred? I just read that mid-drive you wouldn't have a throttle option (I presume because then the pedals would spin) but given my lack of knowledge figured I'd ask.

Appreciate any insight, and don't mind jokes at my expense :)

Thank you
Really depends on the type of riding you plan to do. A 750w geared hub motor as the Ariel Rideal has will get you up hills on either pedal assist or just throttle. If you are just riding on roads, sidewalks, groomed dirt bike paths then having a suspension fork is not that important. If you plan to get on some dirt "backroads" firebreaks, farm roads etc. where you will encounter some rough terrain then suspension helps but most can be absorbed standing on the pedals with knees bent (like you see the mountain bike riders). If you buy a fixed fork bike and change your mind, your local bike shop can add one for around $200 for a cheap one that's "good enough".
Most ebike riders will pedal to help conserve battery power and increase range. Running at full throttle will only get you a short distance, 10-15 miles may sound like a big distance for range but on an ebike that goes 20mph that is only 30-40 minutes of riding and wherever you end up with your dead battery is where you will have to start pedaling all on your own power to get back. I never imagined riding for 3-4 hours in a day would be common for me but with ebikes all the tough parts of riding are pretty much eliminated leaving just the fun part. You'll most likely start pedaling and shifting
If you're 6'2" and want to be fitted correctly for seat height you'll want to be on the high step bike. About the only cyclists I see that are fitted correctly with almost full leg extension on the down peddle are the serious lycra wearing road bike cyclists. If you set your seat height to be able to sit and have your feet firmly planted on the ground when you stop and peddle with your knees always bent like 85% of the riders out there then it doesn't really matter.
I bought the Lectric XP because it is a great performing bike, could fold down to fit in my car trunk, and was only $900. It allowed me to have a blast and learn what type of riding I really liked without spending too much. It has turned out to be the Swiss Army Knife of ebikes, good for a variety of things but not great at any of them. It will fit tall riders 6'3" 36" inseam.
The Ariel Rideal would be a good choice if you're choice for riding surface are all pretty smooth and more road or groomed dirt bike trails.
My advise is to go with one of these two bikes to get started, you'll probably save the $1000 spent on them on your next bike by learning what you need for your favorite type of riding. You'll learn whether to put money towards suspension, torque, speed, range, cargo capacity etc... on your next ebike.

The main difference in mid step and high step is really usually just the placement or existence of a top bar. The mid-step accommodates shorter people and makes it easier to get on and off, while the high step is for taller riders and may offer a bit more rigidity in the frame. At your height, with the mid-step you would likely have to extend the seatpost all the way to the top and if your legs are longer then that may not be enough. The high-step's seatpost is slightly higher so you can adjust it higher to fit your legs.

What you get extra on the 500 for the money is mainly an adjustable front fork which absorbs bumps better, an lcd display screen which will give you speed and more in depth travel info (though you can add a bike computer easily for this), an 8 speeds instead of 6, and a higher top pedal speed. Whether that is worth the 300 dollars is up to how much you value that. They're both good choices.

Lastly, hub motors do not need to worry about the gears your bike is in because it's mounted right on the wheel - it is going to move the wheel all on its own. Mid drives do rely on the gearing because they drive the chain you use to pedal just like you would and as such can gain an advantage (or disadvantage) depending on the gear you are in. Mid drives are typically more expensive than hub motors.

@Johny Rocket @Oendaril thanks both for the feedback. I'll be riding on suburban NJ roads, and while it's paved, the condition of some of these roads may be the equivalent of offroading lol, but sounds like I don't need to worry so much about the suspension, and good to know that I do have the option of replacing it if I feel I want it in the future. Sounds like the hub motor given my novice experience riding, especially with gears, will be a better choice, and probably best for me to go for the high step.

@Johny Rocket @Oendaril thanks both for the feedback. I'll be riding on suburban NJ roads, and while it's paved, the condition of some of these roads may be the equivalent of offroading lol, but sounds like I don't need to worry so much about the suspension, and good to know that I do have the option of replacing it if I feel I want it in the future. Sounds like the hub motor given my novice experience riding, especially with gears, will be a better choice, and probably best for me to go for the high step.
the bike in my Avatar uses the same Dapu motor as the Rideal with a different controller, no worries its a great motor,i believe its a 500w nominal but can peak at over 1000w depending on the controller, that said i would still buy a Core 5 over the Rideal because i prefer the display and controller on the Core and i need to be able to exceed 20mp with assist! if top speed was no issue i would go with the Rideal because of the bigger battery.

also i live and ride in Jersey Subs and i would never buy a bike with a rigid fork, the roads are just to jacked up lol, spandex guys seem to have zero issue with rigid forks but they are to jarring for me

Last edited:
Follow up question that I realized will be an issue if I go with the Rideal - transporting it. I'm going to need a 4 or 5 bike hitch mounted bike rack (4 now, 5 down the line so fine with 4 at this time), the problem I'm running across is that most have a weight limit of 35 LBS per bike, which is way less than the Rideal. Anyone know of a bike rack that can take these heavier electric bikes? I'm looking at the battery weight of the Rideal to see if taking it off solves the problem or not but would like options.

yes, check amazon,specify the weight limit you need in the search,the Rideal is not very heavy so it should not be an issue.

I've been riding an Ariel Rideal for a few weeks and so far it's exceeded my expectations...motor/performance wise it blows similarly priced ebikes out of the water. We have a radmission and as expected, the Rideal blows by it...W the Radmission one of my biggest issues is the weak motor so this ebike for sure solves that.

I plan on publishing a review soon but here are some initial notes on my likes/dislikes
Things I like: motor power, attention to detail in the look (ariel logos throughout bike), seat/grips are nice and gears (although I don't use them much)
Things I don't like: No Zero PAS, LCD screen, current handle bar setup (but that can be upgraded easily) and no kick stand

The number of gears is less important than the gear ratio spread for each application. The lectric xp has a 52t crank and a 14-28t freewheel while the rideal has a 48t crank and a 16-48t freewheel, which means the lectric xp would actually have a better ratio for high speed but a much worse hill climbing gear than the rideal despite having 7 speeds.

It's pretty common for people to move to an 11-27t freewheel on the lectric to help with that high speed issue and it's not too hard to do.

The 500 is pretty nice but is 250 dollars more expensive, not less. It does have a better high speed gearing (44/11 vs 48/16), but also a worse low speed gearing (44/30 vs 48/48), and the rideal has more torque and a larger battery. I'd say capping out at 16t is fine since it has a larger crank and only does 20mph versus 28mph on the 500. You definitely miss out on the front fork, though.
One thing about a 7 spd 14/28 freewheel is that they are cheap, durable, & have been around for ages.
I´ve had 8 & 9 spd cassettes which do not last 1/2 as long, & frankly more speeds is just that much more
to keep adjusted. As it is, my bike is powerful enough that I can ride in high gear most of the time anyway.
I have a triple chainring, & have never needed the 28T even on the steepest hills; I only use the 48T if
I´m in a big hurry in mode 5,(25mph}. The 38T is just fine for all ordinary use.

I just to a peek at the rideal & the thing i most like about it are the rear dropouts. Rear hub motors
are a pain in the butt if you need to take the wheel off. I have to unscrew the derailleur to get the axle
out. The Rideal dropouts allow one to push the whl forward & down past the derailleur, so much
simpler than on my moscow or my defunct CCS. The price is hard to beat, 500w, 750 peak. It´s a
total hardtail, but sus. forks are heavy & costly. It looks like a good solid bike with adequate tires
for general purpose use. I didn´t check spokes. That would be my main concern.

Okay, better informed 2nd opinion, 12g rear, 13g fr, spokes adequate. 6 spd, fine & dandy,
(keep it simple). Twist throttle, ok, but I´d prefer thumb. Power & range, good. I could always
get a sus. seat post. I´d want to upgrade tires. I think it´s a good deal for the price. Maybe
I´m wrong, but I think the spokes are better the the rad mission with gearing a plus.

I've been riding an Ariel Rideal for a few weeks and so far it's exceeded my expectations...motor/performance wise it blows similarly priced ebikes out of the water. We have a radmission and as expected, the Rideal blows by it...W the Radmission one of my biggest issues is the weak motor so this ebike for sure solves that.

I plan on publishing a review soon but here are some initial notes on my likes/dislikes
Things I like: motor power, attention to detail in the look (ariel logos throughout bike), seat/grips are nice and gears (although I don't use them much)
Things I don't like: No Zero PAS, LCD screen, current handle bar setup (but that can be upgraded easily) and no kick stand
Interesting to hear- it'll be nice to finally see some full reviews of the bike. There's a member on here who works for the company that makes the display and it seemed it may be possible to upgrade the display but he'd need to see the info on the back of the display they used to say whether it is or not. If not, a cheap $15 bike computer can help a lot. Also, strange that they didn't give you a kickstand - the page explicitly says they do and it's in all their photos. Did you get a mid-step or the high-step?

One thing about a 7 spd 14/28 freewheel is that they are cheap, durable, & have been around for ages.
I´ve had 8 & 9 spd cassettes which do not last 1/2 as long, & frankly more speeds is just that much more
to keep adjusted. As it is, my bike is powerful enough that I can ride in high gear most of the time anyway.
I have a triple chainring, & have never needed the 28T even on the steepest hills; I only use the 48T if
I´m in a big hurry in mode 5,(25mph}. The 38T is just fine for all ordinary use.
Agreed, I actually prefer the single chainring setup the most and prefer simplicity and ease of repair to tons of options. An ebike certainly seems to mitigate the need of a lot of the in-between gears you'd use on an acoustic bike.

It seems the Rideal should come with a kick stand (not clear from the site) but I can confirm with Ariel. i got an early version of the bike so maybe that's why it's missing the kick stand. I assumed it didn't come with one bc other similarly priced ebikes ( Rad Mission, Ride1up Roadster, etc) don't come with a kick stand....being able to upgrade the screen would soooo awesome bc it would be a cool upgrade for those that want more info.
PXL_20210512_013438842 (1).jpg

Stay tuned for our full review. We should have it done in the next week or so.

Back