Anyone running 2020 Schwalbe Marathon E-Plus ?

Anyone notice how heavy these tires are? 930 grams for the 35 mm version and it goes up from there. 1,395 grams for the 2.15" wide version!!!

Wow that's a lot of weight on a tire. I guess if you have a powerful motor then not as big a deal, but wow!

Those tires look good. I guess they're brand new... are they even available in North America (I'm in Canada) yet? The link and the further info link don't specify but I guess this isn't a tubeless tire.

My stock tires are 45-622... I wonder if I should go with the 40-622 or 47-622 size with these.
I buy Schwalbe tires from this Irish site called Chain Reaction Cycles. They are top drawer! https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/clearance/tyres?f=4294954610. I always tick the box that says" DUTY PAID using DHL shipping". They are incredibly fast and you will not get any surprise charges from the taxman if you choose this option. The prices are tough to beat.

Last edited:
I have changed to marahon e-plus from Schwalbe Range Cruisers on my Cube Touring Hybrid One, the tires are significantly better, it's like riding a different bike, especially the ride is improved immensely.

Where did you get them? I'd like to try them on my Galaxy ST...
Chain Reaction Cycles have them and often at a reduced price. “Http://chainreactioncycles.com“ I have a marathon on my 26 inch back rim, after 7000kms on and off-road NO punctures. They make a similar year round tyre with a grippier tread pattern “Marathon 365” with dual guard puncture resistance. I bought a set but haven’t tried them yet.
Daggs.

Last edited:
Still get confused by the tire sizes🤔🤔 I run a Schwalbe Smart Sam(29x2.25..57-622) n would like to purchase these Marathon E-plus tires...Would the 28x2.15...55-622 fit on my bike?? Just a little confused
YES (-: both are 622 and your new ones 55 are smaller so they will probably fit under the fenders. There is little diff between 2.15 and 2.25 or 55 and 57. The only thing that could be a problem is if you had a bike like a Trek Verve + which has very little clearance between the fenders and the tires using their stock Bontragers. If you switched brands to Schwalbe which are known to offer wider tires with the same specs you might find they rub the fenders.

Last edited:
I have ordered these as well as Michelin Protek tubes; expecting them on Monday-Tuesday. Will write the review as well.

Ah, they have 'slime' inside. I dunno, I've always had a thing about that stuff. Perhaps I could be convinced. Have used it a few times with the motorbikes and cars, just never liked it. It was always considered a temporary 'get you there' solution for a punctured tube or tire. It works much better on a tubeless tire than a tube. For tubeless I always preferred a rope-style plug. Ream the hole, put some glue on the rope, folded, all the way in, pull out halfway with the folded rope. Trim off at tread level. I have plugged car and truck tires and then driven on them for the rest of the tread-life of the tire. I still prefer to remove the tire and apply a patch to the inside. On a truck tire I plugged, the tire store would not patch it, so I bought a new tire, took the old one home and repaired it, got a full size wheel, and used it for a full size spare, which is much preferred for any offroading.

Last edited:
Very short review of the Schwalbe Marathon E Plus tyres (with Michelin Protek Max inner tubes)

I was lured with the Marathon E Plus tyres because of their promised puncture-durability, longevity, low rolling resistance, very good grip on-road and decent grip off-road. The fact the tyres were specifically designed for e-bikes was not the least important:

1585472805800.png

So, I ordered a set of those tyres (40-622, 28x1.5", 700x40c) for my touring e-bike. I upped the ante by filling them with the novelty Michelin Protek Max (A3 size) inner tubes that have the self-repairing capability, are very thick and are made in square shape to better fit the rim.

1585473114997.png

Schwalbe Marathon E Plus tyres.

1585473186909.png

Michelin Protek Max inner tube.

1585473317561.png

Ready to ride.

1585473433253.png

The off-road test area.

I did the test ride of 72 km, of which 5 km were off-road (dry) and the rest on perfect quality tarmac or -- in the worst case -- high quality paving. The experience was just breath-taking.

The Schwalbe + Michelin combination made the wheels completely silent
It was as if the wheels disappeared from the equation. In case of no wind, I could hear the delicate low hum of the hub-motor in high PAS mode, something that was masked by the tyre noise before. Another observation was absorbing of the rapid vibrations from surfaces such as gravel; the ride became more plush. (I must add that the tyres were inflated to the rated max of 5.9 bar/85 psi). The grip on blacktop was excellent and I felt no trouble with the grip in the dry off-road. (The Continental TopContact Winter II had big problems with the grip in the same off-road terrain and were audible).

My feeling is the money was well spent and I can recommend the tyres (and the inner tubes) to everyone.

Very short review of the Schwalbe Marathon E Plus tyres (with Michelin Protek Max inner tubes)

I was lured with the Marathon E Plus tyres because of their promised puncture-durability, longevity, low rolling resistance, very good grip on-road and decent grip off-road. The fact the tyres were specifically designed for e-bikes was not the least important:

View attachment 48586
So, I ordered a set of those tyres (40-622, 28x1.5", 700x40c) for my touring e-bike. I upped the ante by filling them with the novelty Michelin Protek Max (A3 size) inner tubes that have the self-repairing capability, are very thick and are made in square shape to better fit the rim.

View attachment 48587

View attachment 48588

View attachment 48589
Ready to ride.

View attachment 48590
The off-road test area.

I did the test ride of 72 km, of which 5 km were off-road (dry) and the rest on perfect quality tarmac or -- in the worst case -- high quality paving. The experience was just breath-taking.

It was as if the wheels disappeared from the equation. In case of no wind, I could hear the delicate low hum of the hub-motor in high PAS mode, something that was masked by the tyre noise before. Another observation was absorbing of the rapid vibrations from surfaces such as gravel; the ride became more plush. (I must add that the tyres were inflated to the rated max of 5.9 bar/85 psi). The grip on blacktop was excellent and I felt no trouble with the grip in the dry off-road. (The Continental TopContact Winter II had big problems with the grip in the same off-road terrain and were audible).

My feeling is the money was well spent and I can recommend the tyres (and the inner tubes) to everyone.

I found my regular Marathon Plus silent compared to the Specialized Trigger tires that came with my Vado. With the Marathons the Vado feels a little heavier and less agile. It’s not dramatic but noticeble. (Marathon Plus Tires are heavy) I think the Trigger tires suit the Vado well.
Rolling resistance seems to be higher with standard Marathon Plus compared to Specialized Trigger.I’m considering the E-Plus to see if I get a little better range.

I found my regular Marathon Plus silent compared to the Specialized Trigger tires that came with my Vado. With the Marathons the Vado feels a little heavier and less agile. It’s not dramatic but noticeble. (Marathon Plus Tires are heavy) I think the Trigger tires suit the Vado well.
Rolling resistance seems to be higher with standard Marathon Plus compared to Specialized Trigger.I’m considering the E-Plus to see if I get a little better range.
Regarding the Vado, @PaD, I'm so happy with the stock Electrak 2.0 (51-622) tyres I don't intend to replace them until I'll have to do it. These are very fast although they generate audible noise. The Elektraks are so slick my brothers thought the tyres needed replacement. Yet, these tyres are soft and have excellent grip on variety of terrain, even at low temps!

Last edited:

View attachment 48586

View attachment 48587

View attachment 48588

View attachment 48589
Ready to ride.

View attachment 48590
The off-road test area.

Stefan ...Do not jinx yourself by touting them too soon... wait until those inner tubes prove themselves over the long haul with 10k and no flats.

View attachment 48586

View attachment 48587

View attachment 48588

View attachment 48589
Ready to ride.

View attachment 48590
The off-road test area.

Nice review... thanks for sharing your experience. I may have to try out the Michelin Protec tubes with my next set of Schwalbe tires.

Back