Anyone running 2020 Schwalbe Marathon E-Plus ?

I just ordered a set of these today for my Specialized Como 5.0. Should I use the existing tubes I have or get the Schwalbe tubes? Does it matter? My LBS said my existing tubes would be fine. Not sure what to do?
You don’t need specific Schwalbe tubes; these bike components are interchangeable between manufacturers. I’m using Conti tubes with mine. There may be some differences between products in terms of weight or strength, but none provide 100% puncture protection. I would advise while you’re replacing the tyres to examine the tubes and rim tape, and replace anything that’s worn.

A week ago, I had a flat in the rear wheel (unluckily, the one equipped with the hub motor), and the wheel was armed with Marathon E-Plus with Michelin Protek Max inner tubes (the latter marketed as "very hard to puncture" and "self-repairing"). Strange thing because I inspected the tyre rather thoroughly and could not find any trace of the puncture. After re-inflating the tube three times, the Michelin version of Slime apparently worked as I had no trouble to ride for the whole week. Now, suddenly, no air in the tube again.

I got furious, poured 60 ml of a good sealant for tubeless tyres into the tube, spun the wheel vigorously to spread the sealant inside the tube, and re-inflated the wheel. Let us see what the future holds.

Last edited:
I have one on the working replacement motor wheel from my now defunct CCS. Just need another bike to put it on.
It was really squirrelly at first but improved somewhat until the bike died. It´s a very durable tire with a tread designed
for long distance touring, but I never felt entirely comfortable with it.

A week ago, I had a flat in the rear wheel (unluckily, the one equipped with the hub motor, and the wheel was armed with Marathon E-Plus with Michelin Protek Max inner tubes (the latter marketed as "very hard to puncture" and "self-repairing"). Strange thing because I inspected the tyre rather thoroughly and could not find any trace of the puncture. After re-inflating the tube three times, the Michelin version of Slime apparently worked as I had no trouble to ride for the whole week. Now, suddenly, no air in the tube again.

I got furious, poured 60 ml of a good sealant for tubeless tyres into the tube, spun the wheel vigorously to spread the sealant inside the tube, and re-inflated the wheel. Let us see what the future holds.
Sounds very much like an issue I´ve been having. Can´t find a puncture; failure is occuring at the valve stem, Tire & tube seem to be slipping
on the rim tearing at the stem. I´ve had 3 like that & anticipate another as the angle of the stem has shifted slightly. The last time, it ripped
the valve stem right off the tube. I think I need to replace the plastic rim strip with a rubber one for more grip. Iam also using a higher tire
pressure in hopes of a better clinch on the rim (?) Also braking more gently on downhill & less throttle going up.

Last edited:
I had a flat friday. well the slime seemed to stop it I heard a hiss and a spray on my leg. I thought it was a back tire but I could nto find anything so i rode on another his anmd spray and I found it th front tire a hole in the tire but nothing in the tire so I guess whatever it was popped out. rode one mroe time a few miles and it was fine. bike sat for 2 day because of the bad air hoped on it on the way to work a mile from home it gave way. it was a pretty big hole though.

I had a flat friday. well the slime seemed to stop it I heard a hiss and a spray on my leg. I thought it was a back tire but I could nto find anything so i rode on another his anmd spray and I found it th front tire a hole in the tire but nothing in the tire so I guess whatever it was popped out. rode one mroe time a few miles and it was fine. bike sat for 2 day because of the bad air hoped on it on the way to work a mile from home it gave way. it was a pretty big hole though.
I´ve been using a variety of tubes, some very expensive, supposedly super heavy duty. Seems the cheap ones have held up the best. Now
using slime; we´ll see?

I recently got some Marathon Plus Tour 26"x2" tires for one of my bikes. Hope they will prove very puncture resistant. I'll probably continue to use a sealant as well. Hopefully this week I can get them on my bike.

I’ve been using the Schwalbe Marathon E-Plus for some months now, happily with no punctures :). Previously, I tried Slime filled tubes but found they still punctured and then couldn’t repair them, with the ooze going everywhere. So I went back to cheaper ordinary tubes. I always take a spare with me, and when I’ve had a puncture I swap out the tube, and then repair the old one using traditional patches which work well enough. Fortunately I haven’t needed to do any repairs recently thanks to the robust quality of the E-Plus tyres.

Not sure exactly what the difference is between the "e-Plus" and the "Plus Tour" versions are, but hoping for the best. the tires look good. Maybe they are just the narrower sizes, wish I could get 2.5" on my rims, but scared to try. I've had good luck with sealants, but the last time it didn't quite get me home, and I ran out of c02. Just getting more prepared as now I'm traveling much farther on my trips and off the beaten track. My original tires needed replacing now anyway after 3k km so the timing was right, but I had to order them from Germany. No stock around here.

They claim "flat-less" so we'll see. A flat 50miles or more from home would be a bit of a problem for me. If sealant does not work pretty quick, next time I'll probably just patch on the spot unless it was the front tire and then I might go for simple tube replacement on the road. Don't really want to mess with tube replacement on the rear out on the road. I don't believe I even have all the tools for that in my kit.

Looking at the Schwalbe website on the Marathon tyres, “E-plus” are rated E-50 for unrestricted eBikes and Pedalacs, whereas “Plus-Tour” are rated E-25 so still good for restricted (UK-Road legal) eBikes. Otherwise, the specs are very similar, both have excellent Protection and Durability. It seems that the “E-plus” has slightly better rolling and road grip whilst the “Plus-Tour” has a tread providing improved off-road grip.

9A79D6E2-1C7C-4584-A654-A4BD8609AB27.pngDECB7E1B-4CBA-4F67-A57A-B713E29B5430.png

Their ‘flat-less’ boast relates to the ability to withstand a ‘thumbtack‘ (drawing-pin) with a 5mm puncture guard, though they do state that:
484ED7F1-FB48-4AF4-8ADE-AC3F554D3885.png016DEBE6-9643-452A-9D5F-CAA2E4D4F1A2.png
“It is impossible to guarantee that a flat will never happen, but the Marathon Plus has the best defense against everyday tire wreckers such as glass, flints or metal shards.“

Looking at the Schwalbe website on the Marathon tyres, “E-plus” are rated E-50 ... whereas “Plus-Tour” are rated E-25 .... the “Plus-Tour” has a tread providing improved off-road grip.

View attachment 66140View attachment 66139

Great Thank you! "Plus-Tour" sounds like what I want as I prefer to ride off road, but I have to ride a lot of road to get to the off road trails.

... although I would have preferred an E50 Rating.

Last edited:
Great Thank you! "Plus-Tour" sounds like what I want as I prefer to ride off road, but I have to ride a lot of road to get to the off road trails.

I’ve found the most comprehensive Schwalbe tyre comparison guide at www.tredz.co.uk , which seems to have every road & MTB tyre they do listed, except the “E-plus” (I guess as it‘s new), but you can find that in Schwalbe’s guide to eBike tyres and so make your own comparison.

There’s so much to decide between, it really comes down to the type of riding you’ll do and the balance of performance you‘re seeking. My decision was based on looking for an E-50 rated tyre for my eBike (though I could have lived with E-25}, together with good rolling, road grip, durability for distance, excellent protection and suitable for some off-road use on gravel and dry trails. The Marathon ‘E-plus‘ ticked all the boxes for me!

The Marathon ‘E-plus‘ ticked all the boxes for me!
Not for me, though. A fantastic road tyre but it cannot handle off-road at all... Went with Smart Sam for my commuter e-bike. Keep Marathon E-Plus on my fast touring e-bike (because I use it only on roads -- including gravel ones -- because of low rolling resistance and good road grip).

Having quickly looked through the Schwalbe guide myself, if you’re looking for an E-50 rated tyre with increased off-road abilities and best protection, you might want to consider the Marathon Plus MTB

Having quickly looked through the Schwalbe guide myself, if you’re looking for an E-50 rated tyre with increased off-road abilities and best protection, you might want to consider the Marathon Plus MTB
I know about it. The point with that version is it is certainly noisy on-road. I certify the Smart Sam is silent on-road, and aggressive off-road. Tested on a 120+ km, or 75 mile ride in mixed terrain!

I know about it. The point with that version is it is certainly noisy on-road. I certify the Smart Sam is silent on-road, and aggressive off-road. Tested on a 120+ km, or 75 mile ride in mixed terrain!
The Marathon range are best for on-road distance (hence the name) whilst the Smart Sam does indeed seem an excellent choice for more off-road capabilities; it’s also E-50 rated.

There’s also the Smart Sam Plus for even more protection ...

I’ve found the most comprehensive Schwalbe tyre comparison guide at www.tredz.co.uk , which seems to have every road & MTB tyre they do listed, except the “E-plus” (I guess as it‘s new), but you can find that in Schwalbe’s guide to eBike tyres and so make your own comparison.

There’s so much to decide between, it really comes down to the type of riding you’ll do and the balance of performance you‘re seeking. My decision was based on looking for an E-50 rated tyre for my eBike (though I could have lived with E-25}, together with good rolling, road grip, durability for distance, excellent protection and suitable for some off-road use on gravel and dry trails. The Marathon ‘E-plus‘ ticked all the boxes for me!

Good summary... thanks for sharing. I use Schwalbe tires on all of my eBikes. ;)

1600808222240.png

Last edited:
Back