Anyone running 2020 Schwalbe Marathon E-Plus ?

Ravi, is that information you know from being in the industry or is it common knowledge?

I have been in touch with Schwalbe North America since 2016.
They were willing to sponsor my ride across the country back in 2016 but due to shortage of time, I could not get them onboard.
I spoke with my contact last year and they shared some statistics. The demand for these E-specific tires have skyrocketed in Europe and they have setup a new factory in Asia to meet the demand.

They even have a dedicated website: https://www.e-biketires.com/en/home.html

They combined their years of expertise and their new lineup of tires are very good.

well I have not had any flats on this tire after my three in nov. well I did my usual bike oil and air of the tires at my shop then rolled the bike out and it was sitting all day. I go to ride home nad the tire is flat. at first i thought it was because I did not have the presta valve nut tight but I ran my hand around the tire and I found a staple stuck in the tire. not very far but enough. that was just with the bikes weight. lucky once I pulled it out the green goo plugged the hole. but man sometime you wonder about puncture resistance of these things.

I found my regular Marathon Plus silent compared to the Specialized Trigger tires that came with my Vado. With the Marathons the Vado feels a little heavier and less agile. It’s not dramatic but noticeble. (Marathon Plus Tires are heavy) I think the Trigger tires suit the Vado well.
Rolling resistance seems to be higher with standard Marathon Plus compared to Specialized Trigger.I’m considering the E-Plus to see if I get a little better range.
I just installed Schwalbe Marathon E Plus on my Vado 5 with Schwalbe inter tube. Agree that they are heavier and not as lively as the original Specialized Trigger Tires. They do however have a very good grip, silent, and good cornering.
My main objective is the puncture resistance function of these tires as I had flat on my rear tire last week. The tires were 6 months old and about 1,600 miles.
don’t want to fix flat at the side of the road if I don’t have to.
When I called the customer service of Schwalbe to ensure proper size I noticed one of the greatest customer service and very knowledgeable person.
he recommended to run them at 55psi rear and 50 psi front. I usually run mine at 60psi.
I will follow his advise. I am 185 pounds and carry about 10-15 pounds of bag on the rack most of the time.
I will provide more review later.

Attachments

• BEF7716A-076F-4CEF-8B2C-0BD5E9197885.jpeg
    BEF7716A-076F-4CEF-8B2C-0BD5E9197885.jpeg
    214.4 KB · Views: 444
  • 5C35E411-A669-4F2C-AB90-0D92BECF3A7D.jpeg
    5C35E411-A669-4F2C-AB90-0D92BECF3A7D.jpeg
    244.8 KB · Views: 450
  • 3F45E74A-FBB1-4B75-A1EC-00F477A8572D.jpeg
    3F45E74A-FBB1-4B75-A1EC-00F477A8572D.jpeg
    269.7 KB · Views: 442
  • 9D8924CB-6013-4529-B000-48071D5A01E2.jpeg
    9D8924CB-6013-4529-B000-48071D5A01E2.jpeg
    231.2 KB · Views: 442
  • E55D2CD8-4CD4-4077-A8D7-D047465825CB.jpeg
    E55D2CD8-4CD4-4077-A8D7-D047465825CB.jpeg
    331.3 KB · Views: 439
A word of warning to all willing to invest in the Marathon E Plus. Think of the terrain you intend to ride in. The tyres are perfect for any sealed road disregarding how much the surface damaged is. These are also good for most of unpaved roads. The exception is fresh gravel and any sand (even a thin layer). Met with these two surfaces, the Marathons slip and dance as if it were the ice. These are my impressions from a 50 mile ride in varied terrain.

I just installed Schwalbe Marathon E Plus on my Vado 5 with Schwalbe inter tube. Agree that they are heavier and not as lively as the original Specialized Trigger Tires. They do however have a very good grip, silent, and good cornering.
My main objective is the puncture resistance function of these tires as I had flat on my rear tire last week. The tires were 6 months old and about 1,600 miles.
don’t want to fix flat at the side of the road if I don’t have to.
When I called the customer service of Schwalbe to ensure proper size I noticed one of the greatest customer service and very knowledgeable person.
he recommended to run them at 55psi rear and 50 psi front. I usually run mine at 60psi.
I will follow his advise. I am 185 pounds and carry about 10-15 pounds of bag on the rack most of the time.
I will provide more review later.
Please report any difference in range/milage compared to the Specialized Trigger tires you replaced.
My experience with the standard Marathon Plus is that I’ve used 10-15% more of my battery charge. Important to know though is that the majority of thees rides have been autumn and winter, i.e. colder weather.

Please report any difference in range/milage compared to the Specialized Trigger tires you replaced.
My experience with the standard Marathon Plus is that I’ve used 10-15% more of my battery charge. Important to know though is that the majority of thees rides have been autumn and winter, i.e. colder weather.
First let me be clear. I am not by all means expert in tires and reviewing them so this is just commentaries of a bike enthusiast who has owned few bikes in life with various types of tires.

The main reason I switched to Schwalbe Marathon E Plus, from Specialized Trigger which came on my Specialized Vado 5 was that I had a flat last week and am not a fan of fixing flat by the side of the road.
Marathon E Plus promises One of the better puncture resistance in the industry which attracted me. Will report on this later when I have ride them enough.
Today I rode 31 miles. Have variety of conditions. Wind behind and front, rain (although it doesn’t rain where I live in this part of California), sun, cloud.
The road was smooth black top, chopped asphalt, cement, and some debris from wind. No dirt or gravel.
I did have some climb and some downhill.
The main comment about this comparison can be summarized as the difference between riding a sedan with top of the line Michelin tire vs riding a Jeep with all weather good tire.
If this gives you the idea no need to read on...
With E Plus I could feel the bumps on the road.
Noticeably lazier than Trigger.
More solid ride. Feeling you are riding on tire vs air.
Good cornering. Good grip in all the conditions mentioned above.
The ride was 31 miles in Turbo mode with 29% battery remaining. Not in a position to compare miles per battery usage. But it seems a bit more battery usage??
There was no worrying going through everything.
My previous tires were 7 months old with 1,600 miles on them with only one flat last week. Not sure if this is normal.
The front tire was in great shape and rear tire had some signs of wear.
The option could have been to replace with the same tire and keep doing it at the same interval. But I decided to make the upgrade and not worry about having flats for many more miles to go.
I will update you as I ride these tires more for whatever worth. I am sure there are some experts out there who will give us much better review and comparison.
I will creat a new thread on this also so friends can comment.

Last edited:
Put the Marathon's on my Evelo Galaxy ST today.. Took the plastic fenders off while I was at it... Haven't had a chance to ride yet but they sure look nice!
I see that you have suspension seat post which will smooth the ride some what as Marathon is a bit bumpy.

Best tyres for good grip in the wet and good rolling.
On Schwalbe tech advice DON’T ever try to run them tubeless ‘cause they’ll blow, good tread but the sidewalls need tubes for additional support. They’re still available but if I had my drothers, I’d hold off for a tubeless version.
2000km so far and lost a bit of central tread, I reckon they’re good for another 6000km before I’ll change the tyre for a new one (I’ve got a spare).
Yes they are Ebike rated and with 26 inch I often travel at over 40kph and have had no punctures or tyre distortion. I bought mine from http://chainreactioncycles.com. Great service and backup. Highly recommended these tyres for longevity and grip.
Best of luck.

Glad to help. Great tyres from Schwalbe but I got one that wasn’t true, so if you buy them make sure they’re fitted properly to the rim and run true. I purchased two in January this year. Expect Schwalbe may improve their manufacture as they become more popular (maybe even tubeless).

Another alternate tire...Engergizer Plus, ebike tire, 50kmh rating: https://www.schwalbetires.com/Energizer_Plus_492

Got a set of these from BTD for wife's bike, in the 50mm/2.0" size - $33 ea. They are wire-bead and greenguard, do not appear to be tubeless. At least it doesn't say so on Schwalbe's product page.
And they're a bit heavy at 1000gm+. But boy do they ride nice. Great profile, comfy, they look good and ride well. Price is really right.

schwalbe_HS492_energizer_plus_40622_1.png

Back