Anyone running 2020 Schwalbe Marathon E-Plus ?

I can confirm that I’ve equipped my eBike with 2020 Schwalbe Marathon E-Plus. After studying the specs for some time, I decided these seemed ideal - good rolling and grip, on or off road use, with best protection. Replacing the ‘standard’ tyres on my Raleigh Strada I was hoping for some improvement. And I wasn’t disappointed! They most definitely roll smoother, quieter and so seem faster on roads. Fine on gravel. Not completely sure of an improvement off-road, they seem perhaps to give a harder ride, but that could be because I tried them during the driest May on record, so the ground was very unforgiving. But certainly adequate for dry trails which is what I need. And good on poor road surfaces which is what we have a lot of around the country roads in my area. Best of all, no punctures (yet); that’s something difficult to assess, since I sometimes go through long periods of no punctures, and then get a few in a row, so will have to see. But I’d say these tyres look the business, have a great tread pattern and are sturdy enough for the extra demands of an eBike, so are worth the money. Only problem was I couldn’t find them in stock in the UK, had to import them specially from Germany thanks to rosebikes.co.uk. But maybe it’s easier to get hold of them now. Highly Recommended for all-purpose ‘hybrid’ eBike use!

Attachments

• 977222B3-00C3-41A9-A9EB-BAF5F6137BAB.jpeg
    977222B3-00C3-41A9-A9EB-BAF5F6137BAB.jpeg
    671.5 KB · Views: 488
  • 84CAE819-74C9-46E3-87E9-B16484047215.jpeg
    84CAE819-74C9-46E3-87E9-B16484047215.jpeg
    768 KB · Views: 456
  • 427C5364-C5C6-489F-A704-E960B1C62F22.jpeg
    427C5364-C5C6-489F-A704-E960B1C62F22.jpeg
    466.4 KB · Views: 440
Last edited:
I’ve been TRYING to get the Marathon E-Plus for my Trek Allant 9.9s. BikeDirect sent me 28 inches. I’m gonna call Schwalbe today though they have marked as out their 27.5 2”

Can anyone advise how these tires hold up at higher speeds around 20-25mph... I tend to stay around the 18-20mph range but take it down a notch when I am with my wife.

I seen the schwalbe website say something about the 15mph range but want to make sure these will still be good at the higher speeds prolly max out at 30-33 mph going downhill.

also will these stay Grippy on wet/semi went pavement I ride a lot in the morning time and sometimes the floor is wet from the sprinklers or the morning cold

thanks in advance

According to Schwalbe, some of their tyres including the E-plus have the rating "E-50", designed for ((e-)bikes) up to 50 km / h. (just over 30 mph). These have the Europe-wide valid ECE-R75 approval; in layman’s terms, this stipulates that EU-bound (electric) bike tyres must sustain higher speeds for more extended periods of time than standard versions. So they're ideal for use on e-bikes to handle the combination of higher speed, greater torque, and additional braking and acceleration from most e-bikes which feature frames and wheels that are heavy because they need to be more robust and better able to handle the abuse. Personally I've ridden my e-bike downhill at up to 38mph and whereas my old tyres also seemed to handle such speeds, it's good to have the confidence that comes with well built and highly specified tyres.

As for grip on wet or poor surfaces, these tyres have Schwalbe's highest road-grip rating as well as their highest protection and durability, whilst having good rolling resistance. They're not the cheapest and aren't intended to be the fastest racing tyres or extreme off-road MTB tyres, but I'd say they're ideal for varied e-bike 'hybrid' on/off road, smooth and potholed streets & gravel path use.

Attachments

• E-50 Schwalbe.png
    E-50 Schwalbe.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 311
  • Ratings.png
    Ratings.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 294
  • ECE-R75.png
    ECE-R75.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 293
thanks all for the feedback, I don't intend to be racing with the tires and thought i read on the schwalbe website that the tires were rated up to 25km/h but saw that it was E-50 rated maybe i was reading the description wrong or mixed up some different tires. I also did a Filter with E-bike 50 tires and they didn't come up so that kinda threw me off.

thanks all for the feedback, I don't intend to be racing with the tires and thought i read on the schwalbe website that the tires were rated up to 25km/h but saw that it was E-50 rated maybe i was reading the description wrong or mixed up some different tires. I also did a Filter with E-bike 50 tires and they didn't come up so that kinda threw me off.
No problem, happy to help. The confusing thing is that there are two similar ratings, E-25 and E-50, both of which are recommended for e-bike use. And the search tool doesn’t capture all the newer models. The reality is that the rating applies “for sustained speed” (not ‘maximum’) so to most people using a regular bicycle or even an e-bike with E-25 tyres, 25kph (15mph) is a sufficient average speed for typical use, indeed that’s the speed e-bike assistance is legally limited to on European roads. Most people will exceed that speed downhill, but not for long continuous stretches. The E-50 rated tyres are actually designed to suit use on unrestricted e-Bikes capable of a consistent 30mph which are legal to use on private roads and off-road. Personally, I don’t see any harm in equipping my eBike with the best tyres. But you may wish to shop around; I would suggest that any E-25 rated tyres will be suitable for most ‘normal’ cycling, the choice will be more about selecting between the intended main use: off-road, touring, fast road, gravel etc.

No problem, happy to help. The confusing thing is that there are two similar ratings, E-25 and E-50, both of which are recommended for e-bike use. And the search tool doesn’t capture all the newer models. The reality is that the rating applies “for sustained speed” (not ‘maximum’) so to most people using a regular bicycle or even an e-bike with E-25 tyres, 25kph (15mph) is a sufficient average speed for typical use, indeed that’s the speed e-bike assistance is legally limited to on European roads. Most people will exceed that speed downhill, but not for long continuous stretches. The E-50 rated tyres are actually designed to suit use on unrestricted e-Bikes capable of a consistent 30mph which are legal to use on private roads and off-road. Personally, I don’t see any harm in equipping my eBike with the best tyres. But you may wish to shop around; I would suggest that any E-25 rated tyres will be suitable for most ‘normal’ cycling, the choice will be more about selecting between the intended main use: off-road, touring, fast road, gravel etc.

i mainly using the bike as commuter/recreational there isn't much off road involved except for a light trail that i need to cross to get home if i take the shorter route. I mainly want something with added protection, There is a lot of class on the street due to car break ins and what have not and i recently hit some glass that i couldnt stop/avoid because there was a car next to me. it some damage to the tire but didnt puncture all the way through to hit the tube, but after putting some good mileage on it might be time to change it out sooner than later.

I guess my main concern is that if i do get the Marahthon's is this statement from the schwalbe website " new Marathon E-Plus is ECE-R75 certified and also ready for pedelecs with pedal assistance up to 25 km / h as well as S-pedelecs. " Are the S-Pedelces E50 ? and will they hold up if i keep riding at the 18-25 mph speed. i think i may be reading that out of context though because i know some countries are limited to the max ebike assistance.

Thanks again.

i mainly using the bike as commuter/recreational there isn't much off road involved except for a light trail that i need to cross to get home if i take the shorter route. I mainly want something with added protection, There is a lot of class on the street due to car break ins and what have not and i recently hit some glass that i couldnt stop/avoid because there was a car next to me. it some damage to the tire but didnt puncture all the way through to hit the tube, but after putting some good mileage on it might be time to change it out sooner than later.

I guess my main concern is that if i do get the Marahthon's is this statement from the schwalbe website " new Marathon E-Plus is ECE-R75 certified and also ready for pedelecs with pedal assistance up to 25 km / h as well as S-pedelecs. " Are the S-Pedelces E50 ? and will they hold up if i keep riding at the 18-25 mph speed. i think i may be reading that out of context though because i know some countries are limited to the max ebike assistance.

Thanks again.
The Marathon E-Plus have the highest Schwalbe protection so if you're concerned about the state of your roads, I'd say they're worth going for. I haven't had a puncture yet, and I'm riding some badly potholed roads and some off-road dry dirt tracks.
Regarding the rating, I think the Schwalbe website could use clearer text, and it's unfortunate that as the E-Plus are new, they don't appear in their standard guide for E-rated tyres, you have to hunt them out. ECE-R75 means E-50 which of course includes (and exceeds) the needs of road legal eBikes up to 25kph. The definition of an S-pedelec is a higher powered bike capable of 28mph (so, yes, E-50). If you've got one of those, then they're not legal for UK road use, though some countries allow them. If you're got regular bicycle or road-legal eBike, then you're unlikely to constantly exceed 15mph unless you're 'fit racer' (in which case, why an eBike?) or you live at the top of a big hill and go for long fast downhill rides.
But on the other hand, there's no problem in having higher rated tyres, so on balance if you've got the money I would highly recommend the 2020 Schwalbe Marathon E-Plus - you won't regret it!

Last edited:
I could never find the e-plus in 27.5 2.0 or larger. I ended up with their Mondials which are at the LBS now awaiting parts for new tire build. Hopefully they perform as well or better than the e-plus. They’re considerably lighter with Schwalbe’s premium compound. The puncture protection rated at 6. Eventually I’ll ‘observe and report’

Pulled the trigger on the marathon E-Plus!! Thanks for the input everyone !! Appreciate it! I ordered some schwalbe tubes to go with it but is there anything better I should try? Was gonna get some slime type tubes but since these have pretty good puncture resistance is the slimed tube necessary??

There is a video on YouTube that Schwalbe produced, showing the Marathon E-Plus rolling over a pathway filled with thumbtacks. I would say give the Marathons a few weeks and you'll know just how good they are. If you do get a flat, then consider plan-B.

When you change to your new tires, check the rim and tape and remove any particles that might puncher the tubes. I do recommend having a decent floor pump at home (doesn't need to break the bank) and checking pressure once a week. When on the road, If possible carry a spare tube or two and a portable pump along with tire levers. In addition, basic tools such as a Park Tool AWS-10 Folding Hex Set in case something come loose.

This video... see 1:20. ;)

Hello, I have some 700x40 kenda tyres currently on my e-bike, and would like to install Marathon E-Plus tyres but the only size I could get is 700x38. Would that size be ok to use?

Looking for advice as I mistakenly ordered Marathon Plus Tour tyres (700x40) first before discovering the E-Plus were a thing. Currently have both pairs sitting unused. The gist I get is that E-Plus will be better as they are easier to put on.

Any advice would be great as I will more than likely return one of the pairs.

Regarding tyre sizes, the suitability depends on the clearance your frame provides, and the size of your wheel rims. Chances are you‘ll be able to fit a range of sizes, but if you’re worried, check your rims against the very handy table in this article on Choosing Tyre Sizes. There’s some useful explanations included, but in summary, a wider tyre will be more comfortable and provide better grip over rough ground, whereas a thinner tyre will be faster over smoother surfaces.
Comparing your two models of selected tyres, looking at the Schwalbe specifications, both are well rated with high protection; the Tour Is E-25 and the E-Plus is E-50, so both are good for eBikes, the E-plus can also be used on an S-Pedelec. The difference is that the Tour is aimed at durability over high distance (hence the name) whereas the E-plus offers improved rolling and grip.
So the choice boils down to what you want to use them for.

Appreciate for the replies folks. The wheel/rim is 42-622. I've just put the e-plus on now, and it seems to be fine as far as I can tell. I will be just communting along railway cycle paths each day mostly.

The size you’ve quoted is another way of specifying 700x40c. But since the E-plus tyres are (slightly) thinner than your previous Kenda tyres, then clearance of your bike will be ok. Only if you had really wide wheel rims, there could be an issue. But chances are your wheel rims are 17mm or 19mm so are suitable for tyres anywhere between 28c - 50c, so the ones you have will fit. The E-plus are a great choice for a wide range of on & off road eBike use, so should be ideal for your purpose. Enjoy!

Last edited:
I just ordered a set of these today for my Specialized Como 5.0. Should I use the existing tubes I have or get the Schwalbe tubes? Does it matter? My LBS said my existing tubes would be fine. Not sure what to do?

I just ordered a set of these today for my Specialized Como 5.0. Should I use the existing tubes I have or get the Schwalbe tubes? Does it matter? My LBS said my existing tubes would be fine. Not sure what to do?

tubes have wear and tear also. IMO always replace tubes when you get new tires.

Back