Anyone have Squeaky Crank?

Alanzo

My Delite cranks have been squeaking while pedaling, no squeak when coasting. It's been quite humid lately. Tried to remove the cranks with a Park universal crank puller and no luck. Had to order Bosch specific tool so to remove the cranks and grease the threads. With the cranks off might as well check the motor bolts. Maybe the motor is shifting under load.

Anyone else have Squeakiy Crank syndrome on their R&Ms?
I am sure its an easy fix with the right tool, including a torque wrench and a small dab of grease for the crank arm threads.

Attachments

• Bosch tool.jpg
    Bosch tool.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 263
Likely to be a loose bolt somewhere but not necessarily at the crank. Creaking noises on bike frames are notorious for traveling through the bike and emerging elsewhere. I had that problem and solved it by tightening the rear axle. It can be frustrating to sort it out and correctly identify the source. It may be loose motor mounting bolts, a loose rear axle or any number of other. Over tightening can cause problems, like breaking off bolt heads or too tight on the axle can actually make the shifting go wonky on a Rohloff.

If your bike is new and still under warranty, I would advise you to take the bike in and have them go through the entire bike and make sure all fasteners are torqued to the correct value. You really don't want to be messing with stuff that might void your warranty.

Likely to be a loose bolt somewhere but not necessarily at the crank. Creaking noises on bike frames are notorious for traveling through the bike and emerging elsewhere. I had that problem and solved it by tightening the rear axle. It can be frustrating to sort it out and correctly identify the source. It may be loose motor mounting bolts, a loose rear axle or any number of other. Over tightening can cause problems, like breaking off bolt heads or too tight on the axle can actually make the shifting go wonky on a Rohloff.

If your bike is new and still under warranty, I would advise you to take the bike in and have them go through the entire bike and make sure all fasteners are torqued to the correct value. You really don't want to be messing with stuff that might void your warranty.
That's right. Its like you have a new Mercedes. Let the dealer fix the problem with their new product. I am fine with DYI but you paid a premium for a high-end bike with dealer support.

@Alanzo if you have the belt drive it could be that which is squeaking, although it is more likely dusty dry conditions that cause the squeak on the belt. Silicon spray every so often (careful not to spray your brake rotor) does the trick. Ignore this comment if you have a chain drive.

Thanks to all for the feedback

I sprayed the interior side of the Gates belt before riding this evening. The squeak was less noticeable than yesterdays ride. lThis is the 3rd time within a month CRC silicone has been sprayed on the interior side of the belt. I do not know what the duration of CRC silicon spray is. I'm ride approximately 200 miles per week with the Delite. I do not know if the spray wears out with mileage. If the squeak continues I will take the bike to a Wheel & Sprocket in Oak Park. They service R&M bikes. Hoping to avoid a dealer for service with a squeak. W&S require 1.5 weeks or longer for service. I recently donated my non e-bikes to this group and will be bike-less if I have to go to a dealer.

The person who set the Delite up told me the motor bolts have a torque of 40nm. I will check the bolts with a torque wrench. I have no ambition to do anything else with the motor.

Someone on this forum mentioned a Trek e-bike is easier to deal with for service than a R&M. I tend to agree as there are many local Trek dealers in my area and only 2 R&M dealers both requiring a long commute.

I have checked the pedals and recently switched to OneUp platform as they have high end bearings compared to the eBay specials I started with. The creak is not coming from the pedals. Also need to check and headset assembly and may have add a touch of grease.

Thanks to all for the feedback

I sprayed the interior side of the Gates belt before riding this evening. The squeak was less noticeable than yesterdays ride. lThis is the 3rd time within a month CRC silicone has been sprayed on the interior side of the belt. I do not know what the duration of CRC silicon spray is. I'm ride approximately 200 miles per week with the Delite. I do not know if the spray wears out with mileage. If the squeak continues I will take the bike to a Wheel & Sprocket in Oak Park. They service R&M bikes. Hoping to avoid a dealer for service with a squeak. W&S require 1.5 weeks or longer for service. I recently donated my non e-bikes to this group and will be bike-less if I have to go to a dealer.

The person who set the Delite up told me the motor bolts have a torque of 40nm. I will check the bolts with a torque wrench. I have no ambition to do anything else with the motor.

Someone on this forum mentioned a Trek e-bike is easier to deal with for service than a R&M. I tend to agree as there are many local Trek dealers in my area and only 2 R&M dealers both requiring a long commute.

I have checked the pedals and recently switched to OneUp platform as they have high end bearings compared to the eBay specials I started with. The creak is not coming from the pedals. Also need to check and headset assembly and may have add a touch of grease.
I think I have done mine twice in 12 months - but I only ride around 200km a month.

I tend to ride home made contraptions. Some times homemade tastes better. These bikes go faster and farther. With out squeaks. R&M can't ride with the gang. Too heavy for sustained climbs and distances. But lux around town.

Attachments

• 05202101.jpg
    05202101.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 268
  • DSCF7512.JPG
    DSCF7512.JPG
    313 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_9311.jpg
    IMG_9311.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 259
  • PublicV7Motor.JPG
    PublicV7Motor.JPG
    328.4 KB · Views: 272
  • PublicV7Saddle.JPG
    PublicV7Saddle.JPG
    657.9 KB · Views: 263
  • UnionJack10.JPG
    UnionJack10.JPG
    365.9 KB · Views: 260
  • Yuba2105.JPG
    Yuba2105.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 250
I tend to ride home made contraptions. Some times homemade tastes better. These bikes go faster and farther. With out squeaks. R&M can't ride with the gang. Too heavy for sustained climbs and distances. But lux around town.
I would like to see you keep up with my 1125wh beast going up a 50km steep climb (range on my bike using turbo) :) On the flat, you are correct with regards speed, but regarding distance my bum would fall off before I ran out of battery (165km on tour, 282km on eco).😂

Attachments

• IMG_2438.jpeg
    IMG_2438.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 288
Off-Topic: (I dream about the miracle: PedalUma once buying himself a decent e-bike instead of expressing opinionated and baseless views).

@Alanzo if you have the belt drive it could be that which is squeaking, although it is more likely dusty dry conditions that cause the squeak on the belt. Silicon spray every so often (careful not to spray your brake rotor) does the trick. Ignore this comment if you have a chain drive.
I find this reasonably regularly on my SC2 - just got in the habit of spraying it with my water bottle whenever it happens … quick and cheap fix!

Off-Topic: (I dream about the miracle: PedalUma once buying himself a decent e-bike instead of expressing opinionated and baseless views).
I merely claim to offer alternate perspectives, not conventional ones. Using DOT 5 on a Gates is not typical. I am humored that some would drop ten grand on a bike that they cannot repair and do not own the rights to its firmware. If you don't own that, then you don't really own the bike. Now, I am off to ride a lugged steel, Polish three-speed, coaster brake with a three pound battery. Yes my preferences are unusual but they are informed. What do you think about the "Right to Repair?"

May or may not be the cause of your issues, but we've noticed there is no damping film on the Gen4 motors, so you've got 6 large aluminum faces rubbing together where the drive unit is mounted to the frame which caused creaking in the first few MY20 R&Ms we built after about 100-300mi. We've since started greasing those faces as part of the build process and haven't had any issues.

Last edited:
I merely claim to offer alternate perspectives, not conventional ones. Using DOT 5 on a Gates is not typical. I am humored that some would drop ten grand on a bike that they cannot repair and do not own the rights to its firmware. If you don't own that, then you don't really own the bike. Now, I am off to ride a lugged steel, Polish three-speed, coaster brake with a three pound battery. Yes my preferences are unusual but they are informed. What do you think about the "Right to Repair?"
It is typical for an owner of a new premium product to not have the right to repair while under warranty. Generally I do not favor buying products with overly restrictive provisions regarding owner modification. I avoid buying Apple products for just this reason. Installing a larger hard drive, adding ram, relatively easy upgrades are reasons for Apple to void the warranty. That and the fact that they used dated components in a pretty package to entice folks who need a computer but don't want to understand them is enough to keep me away from their hardware monopoly and in the more competitive PC realm.

However it does make sense, while under warranty, that the customer not remove the motor on the ebike. An attempt to figure out and fix what is wrong with their bike, could result in more difficulty identifying the issue or even compound it.

When a properly trained tech with diagnostic equipment beyond the ken of most bike mechanics, saying nothing about the average bike rider, is in place and the company is known to be very attentive and willing to replace motors, batteries etc. when something is found to be at fault...I have no problem with. I can do the normal bike stuff, brakes, drive train, tires, clean & lube, peripheral installation, etc. I am happy to leave the electricals to a company I know does a good job and stands behind their products.

I have often thought about building an e- bike but I might have to hire someone with aluminum welding expertise to strengthen the frame for mountung a motor. Not sure a how many stadard frames can handle torque of the motor and additional weight with e-bike conversion. I have no arc welding experience but there are plenty of local auto body shops and a welding fabricator in the local area. I'd luv to know more about your homebuilt bikes in greater detail. Sometimes its better to build your own or modify a production frame to accomplish personal goals with cycling.

BTW, I love the red Public bike photo. Remids me of the Guv'nor I rode with swept back bars and more retro appearance. Really nice!!

Last edited:
Alaskan,

I agree with you 100%. I'm just checking torque on a bolt. The bike is too expensvie to screw around with engine removal or tuning. It is what it is and better off left to a skilled tech with Bosch experience to find a solution if needed. The stuff I'm familiar with is basic bike maintenace skills of non e-bike.

FWIW I use to modify carbon fiber frames and build my own narrow handlebars, forks, stems, cog sets, shift levers and disc covers. I once made a 12 speed cassette before Shimano began producing them as I needed closer gear ratios. The e-bike home repair stuff is beyond my realm and its much more complex than traditional bikes I rode or modifying components. I dread going to a bike shop for warranty due to the long wait time for completion of service. I had not thought about service of the bike when I purchased R&M as I had no clue what I was getting into. Hoping my squeak may be resovled with grease on the threads when I get the Bosch crank removal tool tomorrow.

Personally, I would love to build my next house. I have the requisite skills and have the time but alas, I'm too old. Perhaps I'll start a thread here in the R&M section to kick off that scintillating discussion ... :rolleyes:

We've since started greasing those faces as part of the build process and haven't had any issues.

Do you think it may be possible my squeak may be from metal on metal conact in a high humidity environment? The tech I spoke with said its doubtful the shims with the motor bolts would shift under load. Lot of force is contatnly applied to the cranks when riding and the squeak only happens when turnng over the cranks, not coasting. I did not know the motor bolts on a 2019 Deligte are shimmed to the frame. There is plenty of clearance between the black metal belt guard and the belt and i know its not the edge of the belt contacting the guard.

Back