Anyone have experience with SRAM Eagle Transmission on any Specialized e-bike?

Ugh. The hub on the tributary isn’t XD. So it’s a lot more annoying to switch to transmission. I think it may be ruled out shortly. Especially with the norco coming in at 7,300 with *no work*. Maybe less. Trek fuel exe aluminum would have been the same price with no work. I think carbon + bosch sx will beat aluminum + tq ( I found an aluminum I could get. Bit of a drive)

Ugh. The hub on the tributary isn’t XD. So it’s a lot more annoying to switch to transmission. I think it may be ruled out shortly. Especially with the norco coming in at 7,300 with *no work*. Maybe less. Trek fuel exe aluminum would have been the same price with no work. I think carbon + bosch sx will beat aluminum + tq ( I found an aluminum I could get. Bit of a drive)
Since you have your sight aimed squarely at adding a Tranny into the mix and with few other options to choose from, another contender (although it could be considered a bit of an outlier as it’s aimed more towards aggressive enduro/DH riding) might be the Transition Relay. Similar to the Trek, the battery can be removed albeit tool free so that you can effectively ride it like a regular mtb with apparently little associated drag. The only downside is that you have to remove and charge it directly. Power rating and battery size are up slightly vs TQ and Spec. No idea if there are any dealers in your region though so a demo might be out of the question.

Since you have your sight aimed squarely at adding a Tranny into the mix and with few other options to choose from, another contender (although it could be considered a bit of an outlier as it’s aimed more towards aggressive enduro/DH riding) might be the Transition Relay. Similar to the Trek, the battery can be removed albeit tool free so that you can effectively ride it like a regular mtb with apparently little associated drag. The only downside is that you have to remove and charge it directly. Power rating and battery size are up slightly vs TQ and Spec. No idea if there are any dealers in your region though so a demo might be out of the question.

I have been looking at transition bikes for a while. The transition I really want is this: https://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_RepeaterPT.cfm

SRAM Powertrain, auto shifting… etc. The relay will be a tough sell without a dealer Especially given the fazua motor. There are transition dealers here though. I will call one tomorrow.

I think I am down to mountain bikes. I am awaiting quotes on the salsa, but the parts alone will put the price well above the norco and possibly above the fuel. I have e-mailed salsa about getting just a frameset, but I doubt that will happen.

This brings the question: Why not the ari timp peak? https://aribikes.com/products/timp-peak

Ari has been on my radar for a long time as the shafer (along with the lauf seigla) is high on my list for goal bikes. The timp peak has a bunch of stuff I would pick myself (like the upgrade to forge & bond wheels). It will still be competitive with the norco and well undercut the fuel exe.

Anyway, I am fairly sure I am down to udh mountain bikes. Just need to narrow it down to the one. And, honestly, as a non-bike person, narrowing down based on the bike parameters doesn’t mean a lot to me.

@dynamic not relevant since you're looking for an e-bike with suspension... but this is a sign of things to come for sure. the latest crux (not out yet), which is basically the cyclocross/gravel version of the aethos, has UDH!! take a look at the RD :)

6dlouactulfd1.jpeg

Not a Spec bike, but the Santa Cruz Stigmata might be a relative bargain with upgraded XO Tranny. The pared down 40mm Rockshox Rudy may not get you through rooty or rocky outcrops but it should take the edge off steep cambered singletrack most likely with the rebound damping wide open. A Rockshox AXS Reverb wireless dropper post is also a nice addition.

Screenshot_30-7-2024_16405_www.santacruzbicycles.com.jpeg

So, straight up comparison question of 4 e-mtb. I can compare motor things myself at the bike shops. I can ride models with each motor back to back. What I don’t know: which one of these would do the best as an “all around” bike used largely for class 4 roads, light trails and gravel.

Canyon Spectral:ON: https://www.canyon.com/en-us/electr.../3389.html?dwvar_3389_pv_rahmenfarbe=M129_P07

Pluses: Cost. Probably the least expensive. Reviewed pretty well.
Minuses: Probably prefer bosch or TQ motors ( back to back testing may resolve that )

Norco: fluid VLT C3 or C2 depending on price. Expected to be more than the canyon but less than the trek.

Pluses: Price is competitive and may even undercut the canyon depending on what the shop offers.
Minuses: Outside of TQ being quieter than bosch, not a whole lot That I can see.

Trek fuel exe 8 gx t-type: This bike is gone from trek. I found one at a shop a few hours drive away.

Pluses: TQ motor makes this basically a normal bike for me. Super quiet. I love that. Reviews are extraordinary.
Minuses: Obtaining it. Not purchased from local dealership. Aluminum (which I still don’t know if that is a plus or minus for me) and, obviously reduced power which could be a plus or minus as well.

Trek fuel exe carbon transmission: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...-exe-9-8-gx-axs-t-type/p/41656/?colorCode=red

Pluses: All the natural riding feeling with TQ. Quiet, etc. Can get at a local dealer
Minuses: Most expensive on this short list. And same potential flaws as the aluminum model above. But 40% more money.

There are a few others like ari timp peak, but I didn’t include them because I didn’t see any reason to pay more than what is listed above. Obviously, canyon and ari are bike in a box solutions Which may have local support issues. However the parts are mostly standard, so just worried about the frame.

Hopefully doing another on-bike comparison tomorrow.

Not a Spec bike, but the Santa Cruz Stigmata might be a relative bargain with upgraded XO Tranny. The pared down 40mm Rockshox Rudy may not get you through rooty or rocky outcrops but it should take the edge off steep cambered singletrack most likely with the rebound damping wide open. A Rockshox AXS Reverb wireless dropper post is also a nice addition.

View attachment 179828
Got a retrofit that makes it electric? It *is* a good goal bike. Models come with transmission already.

So, straight up comparison question of 4 e-mtb. I can compare motor things myself at the bike shops. I can ride models with each motor back to back. What I don’t know: which one of these would do the best as an “all around” bike used largely for class 4 roads, light trails and gravel.

Canyon Spectral:ON: https://www.canyon.com/en-us/electr.../3389.html?dwvar_3389_pv_rahmenfarbe=M129_P07

Pluses: Cost. Probably the least expensive. Reviewed pretty well.
Minuses: Probably prefer bosch or TQ motors ( back to back testing may resolve that )

Norco: fluid VLT C3 or C2 depending on price. Expected to be more than the canyon but less than the trek.

Pluses: Price is competitive and may even undercut the canyon depending on what the shop offers.
Minuses: Outside of TQ being quieter than bosch, not a whole lot That I can see.

Trek fuel exe 8 gx t-type: This bike is gone from trek. I found one at a shop a few hours drive away.

Pluses: TQ motor makes this basically a normal bike for me. Super quiet. I love that. Reviews are extraordinary.
Minuses: Obtaining it. Not purchased from local dealership. Aluminum (which I still don’t know if that is a plus or minus for me) and, obviously reduced power which could be a plus or minus as well.

Trek fuel exe carbon transmission: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...-exe-9-8-gx-axs-t-type/p/41656/?colorCode=red

Pluses: All the natural riding feeling with TQ. Quiet, etc. Can get at a local dealer
Minuses: Most expensive on this short list. And same potential flaws as the aluminum model above. But 40% more money.

There are a few others like ari timp peak, but I didn’t include them because I didn’t see any reason to pay more than what is listed above. Obviously, canyon and ari are bike in a box solutions Which may have local support issues. However the parts are mostly standard, so just worried about the frame.

Hopefully doing another on-bike comparison tomorrow.
I came close to pulling the trigger on a Canyon Lux Trail CF 9 but was able to demo ride the Epic Evo plus it was cheaper when all was said and done. I obtained the GX tranny at an unbelievable price and sold the stock SRAM groupset on Pinkbike for what I had asked for. That being said, I wouldn’t have a problem ordering a DTC bike from a company like Canyon as they seem to stand behind their products, offer a great warranty and produce quality bikes. In fact, I don’t think you can go wrong with any of those similarly spec’d bikes as they will all likely get you to where you need to go and back in stellar fashion. Trek and Norco you’ve already ridden so the only other two remain untested.

Norco is a brand that I’m familiar with being that it is a Canadian company and I also ride a Bigfoot VLT. They sell a ton of bikes here and it might be one of the most recognized brands on the local trails. All of their mountain bike models are test ridden in the BC backcountry which goes without saying that locales such as Whistler and Squamish are world renown. The Fluid VLT is a mullet which may or may not be of any benefit to you. Having a smaller hoop in the rear can help with manoeuverability where the rear wheel is able to stick to the inside line more giving you an edge in tight corners. As a shorter rider, I also find there is more clearance between myself and the rear tire on my Levo which is helpful when riding down steep trails where sudden drops appear out of nowhere.

The Canyon and Norco IMO offer the best bang for the buck.

BTW @dynamic, have you tried using Norco’s Ride Aligned setup guide? You select the model, input your rider profile and ride position and the guide calculates the recommended bike, fork, and shock settings for you. You can even modify the setup by altering the suspension, grip and trail type. Pretty cool tool. Oh yeah, make sure that you get a proper pump shock if and when you do bite the bullet.

Last edited:
'Class 4 roads' are presumably Vermont class 4, not California class IV?
From a vermont website:

A Class 4 road as defined by the State of Vermont is a road that is not Class 1 (State highways),2 (Important town highways) or 3 (Traveled town highways). Road classes 1,2 and 3 are required to be maintained by the town (or state) to be 'negotiable under normal conditions all seasons of the year by a standard manufactured pleasure car.'

Therefore, we can assume that Class 4 roads are not maintained, and are therefore of questionable condition. In other words, excellent candidates for exploring on a dual sport motorcycle, high clearance 4x4, mountain bike, horse, or hiking boots.

Fwiw, since drop bar bikes and Canyon have reentered the conversation I should follow up my earlier post to confirm the the Grizl:ON does come with UDH which you can see in the crop of its derailleur photo.

View attachment 179843
It is really weird that this isn’t mentioned anywhere in any specs. I will check it more thoroughly again And contact canyon about it. Though, I did talk to a canyon rep on chat yesterday, and he couldn’t get it through his head that SRAM Transmission != SRAM Force. sooooo…. Not a good sign.

Fwiw, since drop bar bikes and Canyon have reentered the conversation I should follow up my earlier post to confirm the the Grizl:ON does come with UDH which you can see in the crop of its derailleur photo.

View attachment 179843
The really nice thing about this bike is the upgrade should just be a derailleur and cassette with force being AXS. This may have just jumped to the top of the list! Bosch sprint on the norco was quite good. It also has integrated lights.

Ok, super excited about the grizl. It has everything I need and the upgrade cost to transmission isn’t terrible. Unfortunately, the CF Trail doesn’t exist here with it’s X0 transmission .

Suspenssion: With fenders, this bike specs for 45mm tires (which come stock). 50mm without fenders. 20mm of “suspension” in the stock seatpost (could swap to kinekt). 40mm in the fork.

My concern: I was expressly told that moots express, with that exact same fork (which I would have to add myself), isn’t for my class 4 roads. Why would this be any different?

I would love to have fenders as that *also* gets me the rear rack leaving tires at 45mm. Moots stock 50mm.

To me, it seems to me that grizl / express, with the rudy fork, should be comparable. Meaning, either both, or neither will work for class 4 roads.

Since this is a Specialized sub forum and I own a Tero X5 I would strongly suggest taking another look at the X5 or 6. I ride mine on the road all the time as well as typical single track. It’s a fantastic do it all bike.
It is. The reason it’s been a second choice for me is a poor experience with specialized. That said, it is also unobtanium in my size currently. It *is* the bike that started the “get a fun and practical” bike process. I also would need to have it upgraded to transmission. And, if the problem has been my bike shop, then that doesn’t seem like a good plan.

Back