Anyone have any insight on the Rattan XL?

I do ...

After waiting for 6 months, I finally received half of my 2 bike (actually 3) order. I ordered the "Holiday Combo XL & X models on Indiegogo for a slightly better price than separate purchase. I also ordered another X for my daughter. 6 months later (time flies) an XL finally arrived (last Friday). I say an XL, as it isn't the color nor specifications that I ordered but it is an XL. The box and bike appeared to be in good order but upon closer inspection, the front chainring and guard plate were noticeably bent. This is due to the metal support welded on the bottom of the crank housing being to short by about 1/2". So the heavy ebike shifting abound in the single layer cardboard box bent the chainring and associated chain guard. After assembly, it would drop the chain on any attempt at pedalling. I removed the chainring and tried to straighten it and although better, it still drops the chain when shifting gears.

That was 5 days and 5 emails to Rattan support ago but still no notice of replacement parts being dispatched. As to the 2 X models, I was informed that these bikes (already paid for many months ago) would not be shipped until August at the earliest. Oh happy day!

In any case, I did reach a compromise with Rattan on one of the X models being substituted with a new step through model LF500 that they had in stock. The other X was refunded to me. The XL that arrived is very cool looking, and has the potential to be a fun ride at bargain price. I have dropped it off at a local B&M bike shop to attempt to straighten or replace the chainring and chainring guard. In the meantime I continue to wait for a response from Rattan support.

An obvious question would be, would you do this again, if you had a do over? My answer would be an unequivocal, hell no. But being as virtually all ebikes are made in China, and all manufacturing there is screwed up due to C-19, I suppose I can count myself lucky.

Fortunately, my Spidey sense made me order another Fat Tire folder (Eahora X7+) back in January that got out of China just before the C19 window closed. I have ridden over 1400 miles on that ebike in the intervening months, and I'm committed to ebike cycling as a new healthy hobby. At my age (just turned 69), riding a regular bike is not fun and I have 2 very nice bikes hanging in the garage to prove it. As it stands, we have 3 ebikes in the family and 2 more on order. All are made in China and that means plan and hope for the best, and deal with it as it unfolds. Kinda like life ... ;-)

Back