Any RadRover contributors out there ?

No formal testing by me yet, but I have done my 10 mile round trip with my daughter being towed in a trailer and the battery meter didn't even move off full. My commute is mostly flat with a long, gradual 1 mile hill (downhill on my way to work and uphill heading home). I'm only going about 15 mph on the flat on average in deference to others on the bike trail and I am pedaling as well. YRMV

I have now modified the Cougar trailer receiver and mounted it on the rear axel as intended and that allowed me to remount the stock RR kickstand.

Here is the unmodified trailer receiver. The hole is too small for the larger diameter axel bolt the RR uses and too small to pass the motor electric plug through it.

Unmodified receiver.JPG

So I put in on the milling machine and opened up the hole diameter to 1/2" and then cut in a slot to pass the motor wire through.

Modifying receiver.JPG
Here is the modified trailer receiver.

Modified Trailer Receiver.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
And here it is all back on the bike. The stock kickstand is pretty stable, even with the trailer attached and my daughter climbing in and out of it. I suspect it will be more than adequate for most RR owners.
Trailer Connection Perm Install.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Still waiting on my invoice even though being in batch 1.. Being an international backer makes it a bit more frustrating, not surprisingly. BUT: If I were to buy a bike like this over here (there isn't anything like it, though), it would cost me at least three times more, I'm sure. :)

Last edited:
Got my tracking number! Expected delivery this Friday!

FYI, based on the tracking info, it looks like mine didn't officially start the shipping process until Tuesday. Granted, I wasn't in the first half of batch 1, but just keep that in mind when estimating when your bike should arrive.

Well, I guess it all works out - mine isn't coming until Monday, but I couldn't get the day off on Friday anyway. Guess I'll be taking Tuesday off!

@Nachoman you're right, it looks like they had some sort of problem with accepting the packages at UPS on Monday and they didn't finally get accepted for shipment until Tuesday. All is good, now the real, 'I know it is coming' waiting begins!

I saw a RadRover out in the wild two days ago here in Seattle!

Was pulling out of my office parking garage at University and Alaskan Way on the waterfront and a white one buzzed right by heading south toward SoDo! To say my jealously level went through the roof is an understatement.

Mr UPS is taking his sweet time to get to my house. Tracking says it's on the truck out for delivery, maybe it's in the very back of the truck as the last delivery...

No photos (I'm too lazy), but the battery is all charged and I spent a while putting the bike together. Just a couple of notes....

Arrival: the bike looked very adequately packed, with plenty of padding around key areas.. the the exception of one. Since the front tire is uninstalled, the front forks dig into the bottom of the box. During transit, the forks dug their way through the extra cardboard reinforcement to the point where it was exposed to the outside of the box. Some paint was worn away from the bottom of the forks. Not a big deal visually, but i just hope it doesn't rust or something. Not sure if Radpower has a recommended touchup paint, i'm guessing automotive paint would work. Some of you whose bikes are in transit for a longer distance might want to inspect that area closely.

Assembly: I think most of you are pretty bike savy, but in addition to installing the major items, there was definitely some additional tweaking needed. Just in terms of adjusting the position of the screen and controls, tightening the brake cable, etc. Nothing major, but someone who isn't bike savy might want to have someone who is give it a onceover or do the assembly for them.

The Bike: Wow, what fun... great torque and I was flying around with PA 3. I haven't even gone up to 4 and 5 yet. It was dark and I didn't have all my lights installed, so I didn't want to push it too hard. But it sucked up hills like they were nothing and I didn't feel like I was working at all. The bike feels very solid and there's not a single area that seems "cheap". The wheel reflectors fell off pretty early in the ride, so i guess those were cheap, but that's a minor quibble given the overall quality of the bike.

Overall, this is terrific, can't wait to get more miles in and start using it for my commute.

Great job Nachoman... "During transit, the forks dug their way through the extra cardboard reinforcement to the point where it was exposed to the outside of the box." I would be bet this damage was done by UPS.. I've noticed they like to throw things around especially heavier ones... Looking forward to more performace tests.. Thanks

nachoman,

thanks for those first impressions. i think i will have my lbs do the assembly for me based on your comments. the waiting is killing me but hearing your thoughts on the bike is definitely easing the pain.

Well mine arrived yesterday and I got it setup today and just went around the block a few times. First the bad, my bike arrived with the box completely opened and the bike and parts swimming around in it. The top of the box was only secured with three pieces of tape. I think this should have been stapled shut. The battery had deep deep scratches, paint was scuffed off the neck, the relector was broken off the headlight, and a few nicks on the frame. When I put the front wheel on, the rotor was severely warped. Otherwise the bike was ok. So I went and got a new rotor and got the bike together today.
I fully charged the battery and had tested the throttle and peddle assist in my garage and everything was working fine. So as I go to take it outside for my first ride the battery just died. It was on while I was walking it out the garage and as soon as I sat on the bike all power had disappeared. The battery would not turn back on. I plugged it in to the charger and it wouldn't charge. So I decided to check the fuse. I took the fuse out and the fuse was fine. I put the fuse back in and low and behold the battery decided to power on.

The bike rides great. I like the suspension forks and the geometry is comfortable for a big guy like me. If this is your first ebike you'll definitely fall in love. The torque is strong and the big tires allow you to ride wherever you feel like. I'll have to ride it some more to get a better impression.

I own a ssr sandviper which is fairly similar to the radrover so I kind of knew what to expect. These bikes aren't the greatest, but good enough for commuting and light trail riding. I absolutely love my sand viper and use it every day as my communter. I would stay away from goin off curbs or up and down stairs. The battery on the rad rover feels like it could be more secure.

All in all a little disappointed but when you ride the bike it's all forgotten. IMG_20150702_203824.jpg IMG_20150702_203545.jpg IMG_20150702_202400.jpg IMG_20150703_213755.jpg

I'm so jealous! Mine is sitting in a UPS container 30 minutes from my house, not to arrive until Monday. Good thing that is my day off! I will have plenty of time to work on it and get it all set up!

@samdavis - you are definitely more accepting than I am - I'm 50/50 on whether I would have taken that bike in that condition - I hope the radrover guys provide you with some sort of compensation for the damaged goods (whether they are directly responsible or not, it is the right thing to do imho). Bikes direct is quick on that gun, any issues with bikes and they compensate fairly and reasonably, I know the radpower guys are a smaller busines, but perhaps they could at least throw an accessory or two your way.

Well mine arrived yesterday and I got it setup today and just went around the block a few times. First the bad...

That's too bad, was the battery detached from the frame when your bike arrived? It looks like it was bouncing around the box for the past couple of days, probably the reason the fuse was loose as well.

My three pieces of packing tape were solid when my bike arrived, but if yours weren't then hopefully Radpower reads these comments, maybe they can add some extra tape or staples to the next batch of bikes.

That's too bad, was the battery detached from the frame when your bike arrived? It looks like it was bouncing around the box for the past couple of days, probably the reason the fuse was loose as well.

My three pieces of packing tape were solid when my bike arrived, but if yours weren't then hopefully Radpower reads these comments, maybe they can add some extra tape or staples to the next batch of bikes.
My battery was attached and wrapped up. I think the front wheel axel probably caused the damage

Back