Any RadMini people out there

View attachment 16619

New to forum just testing some pics out this is my bike with new seat and post really makes for nice ride!!
Sweet set up. Any chance of
View attachment 16622

Wife's bike really like her seat!! Love these bikes[/QUOTE
View attachment 16622

Wife's bike really like her seat!! Love these bikes

Nice looking bikes! Any chance of posting some pics of the frame bag, rackbag, mirror etc? thanks

Bought two Rad minis this Friday in Seattle. White for my wife and black for me. I already own one electric commuter but liked the folding capability and fat tires for mild trail riding while we are traveling. They are so easy to fold and the 750 watt motor is so torquey, love it. I would like a taller gear set as I am used to pedaling my commuter from the preset twenty to twenty five mph with some effort. Can anybody recommend a rear cassette that will fit and not have me pedaling 1000 rpm like a madman in PAS 5?

Bought two Rad minis this Friday in Seattle. White for my wife and black for me. I already own one electric commuter but liked the folding capability and fat tires for mild trail riding while we are traveling. They are so easy to fold and the 750 watt motor is so torquey, love it. I would like a taller gear set as I am used to pedaling my commuter from the preset twenty to twenty five mph with some effort. Can anybody recommend a rear cassette that will fit and not have me pedaling 1000 rpm like a madman in PAS 5?

I just hit 800 miles on my RADmini this morning! WOO!

I am not sure as I am just getting back into biking using this as both my commuter vehicle and recreational fun. However I have noticed as far as "performance per watt" (just intuitive observation) that if you step down your PAS to PAS 2 and pedal harder I've been able to hit 23mph consistently and every once in a while 24mph. Of course down hill you can get going quite fast. There is a hill in my area I was going almost 40mph! Kind of freaked me out so was slowly edging the brakes.

Any rate the controller for the RADmini sets the rules to abide bike lane laws in the majority of states which is limited to 20mph. If you haven't noticed already it stops feeding power once you exceed 20mph (I remember a trick in the King Meter settings to get it to roughly 22mph before it cuts out, it's in this forum thread somewhere).

If you find a chain ring to upgrade to perhaps let us know! I have considered swapping the controller out for something that is "dumb" and would just let me power the motor as much as I want to instead of governing at 20mph.

@brrrett you should also try taking challenging grassy or dirt trail hills. This bike makes me feel like a champ and is really does so well up hills. I weigh 180 and can hit 15mph steady with just throttle however I dont do that because I like to feel a little burn. Hope this helps some at least for your new mini. :)

New tip:
Watch the area where the red throttle engage/disengage button is when you fold down the handlebars. It is placed right where the front fork is so I have unintentionally busted the housing the that switch. Before contacting RAD I wanted to ensure this would not happen again when mindlessly folding the bike up. The benefit to the black model is that old bike tubes work great as wraps. Cut a small portion, enough to wrap and protect the button when folded down. Works like a charm and people don't notice unless you point it out. I brought up these issues and RAD is graciously sending me a new housing!

As for the white model I imagine you could find some white handlebar wrap that would do the job as well.

New tip:
Watch the area where the red throttle engage/disengage button is when you fold down the handlebars. It is placed right where the front fork is so I have unintentionally busted the housing the that switch. Before contacting RAD I wanted to ensure this would not happen again when mindlessly folding the bike up. The benefit to the black model is that old bike tubes work great as wraps. Cut a small portion, enough to wrap and protect the button when folded down. Works like a charm and people don't notice unless you point it out. I brought up these issues and RAD is graciously sending me a new housing!

As for the white model I imagine you could find some white handlebar wrap that would do the job as well.
Handlebar wrap sounds like a great idea. I have seen some rubberized padded wrap in the past. Perhaps I can find some in white for my wife's bike and black for mine. The other area of concern is where the rear frame bangs the front fork when folded.

I just hit 800 miles on my RADmini this morning! WOO!

I am not sure as I am just getting back into biking using this as both my commuter vehicle and recreational fun. However I have noticed as far as "performance per watt" (just intuitive observation) that if you step down your PAS to PAS 2 and pedal harder I've been able to hit 23mph consistently and every once in a while 24mph. Of course down hill you can get going quite fast. There is a hill in my area I was going almost 40mph! Kind of freaked me out so was slowly edging the brakes.

Any rate the controller for the RADmini sets the rules to abide bike lane laws in the majority of states which is limited to 20mph. If you haven't noticed already it stops feeding power once you exceed 20mph (I remember a trick in the King Meter settings to get it to roughly 22mph before it cuts out, it's in this forum thread somewhere).

If you find a chain ring to upgrade to perhaps let us know! I have considered swapping the controller out for something that is "dumb" and would just let me power the motor as much as I want to instead of governing at 20mph.

@brrrett you should also try taking challenging grassy or dirt trail hills. This bike makes me feel like a champ and is really does so well up hills. I weigh 180 and can hit 15mph steady with just throttle however I dont do that because I like to feel a little burn. Hope this helps some at least for your new mini. :)
Thanks GingerBeardMan, I will look for the controller settings thread. I did try some mild single track uphill yesterday and realized that PAS 5 was too much! Will have to remember to select assist level while approaching trail sections.

Handlebar wrap sounds like a great idea. I have seen some rubberized padded wrap in the past. Perhaps I can find some in white for my wife's bike and black for mine. The other area of concern is where the rear frame bangs the front fork when folded.

I was in NYC during the 4th of July weekend and I saw a lot of bikes with rubber/vinyl looking wraps around the frame. I think it was mostly to protect the painted areas from the heavy duty 18mm chains most bikes were secure with. I haven't been able to find a website that sells this NYC wrap? I've seen them clear to dark colors on different bikes. I've seen the wrap on smaller areas to protect the frame to the entire painted surface with the wrap.

Any NYC bikers in the house know about this wrap?

It look similar to the pic below; but, way nicer:
bike wrap.jpg

Top speed behavior question.

What happens if I am able to pedal faster then 20 mph, let's say I'm going down hill or tail wind. Will the bike smoothly go above 20 mph or will it 'fight' me when I pedal. Sorry kinda dumb question I'm new to ebikes.

New tip:

I use foam pipe insulation with the slit, just slide on over any bike frame section when folding and remove when riding. No tape or tie is needed.

Top speed behavior question.

What happens if I am able to pedal faster then 20 mph, let's say I'm going down hill or tail wind. Will the bike smoothly go above 20 mph or will it 'fight' me when I pedal. Sorry kinda dumb question I'm new to ebikes.

I can still pedal up to about 22-24 mph on my Radrover on steep declines at 70-80 rpm pedal speeds. The motor cutoff kicks in at 20 mph and you are just on gravity assist with the help of the decline. You can feel the ebike hub motor kick on/off if your downhill speed is hoovering around the motor cutoff speed in the upper PAS. It is usually just very short runs at those speeds before I dip back down to my normal 17-21 mph work commute cruising speeds at PAS 3 or 4.

If I'm lucky to get a tailwind that pushes me +20 mph, I lower my PAS to add more pedal power to keep my rpms around 60. I can ride a lot longer at 60 rpms compared higher or lower speeds.

Hey I am new to this forum. Just cleared 500 miles on my RadMini mainly commuting but also fishing, tailgating and mountain touring.

The only things I have added to the bike are the fenders, tool pouch that fits in the frame, lock, a USB rechargeable light (cateye VOLT500XC), flat bungees and straps from Home Depot, an old watch strapped to the handlebar, a pannier made from an old messenger bag, and a thumb throttle adapter.

Here's a picture:
KCETLQleZSEYvM4C2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KCETLQleZSEYvM4C2

I'll also get a picture of the Kayak trailer I made for it too next time I go in the spring.

I have two questions:
1. Has anyone else had the headset folding mechanism crack like this:
sKWA3hLr7TUpjBsK2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/sKWA3hLr7TUpjBsK2
kdnMmkcWQ5DqpKZg1
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kdnMmkcWQ5DqpKZg1

2. Has @brrett or anyone else if you found a chain ring solution to the RPM on PAS5. I think the only way to fix it is to increase the size of the front ring by a few teeth. The challenge there is finding the chain ring guards to fit. Before I go and do work to figure out a solution I thought I would ask here.

I have 300 miles on my Mini with probably 100 miles on trails or gravel roads. I would contract Rad, maybe they will give you a new suspension fork????

I hope mine does not break.

I'm here to describe the experience I have had so far with Rad Power Power bikes.

I ordered a Rad Mini because I really enjoy my TREK Fat Tire bike and the chance to train all winter.
The "fat" - almost 5 inch - tires make going out in the snow a blast. The purchase of a Rad Mini killed two birds with one stone. I got an electric bike and one that folded all in one package. A fair amount of research online and I found what I wanted.

I ordered what I thought was the most up do date model.
Trek delivered a 2017 bike to me in December of 2016 - $2600. Rad Power took my order for a bike and immediately announced an all new line up for 2018. I called to try and switch the order, but the bike was delivered to Velodirect AND assembled without any of my objections answered. The deal was sealed and by default I was stuck with "last years" model. A couple more messages to customer service and I quickly began to notice a pattern of snarky disrespectful replies that all ended with - you ordered a 2017 and that's what you got. I asked for a restocking fee of any amount to resolve my dilemma. I have a complaint into BMW VISA alleging that I was forced to take possession of the product because the company refused to delay/prevent the assembly which kinda meant no return under any circumstances. And the bike was untouched / unused / unridden this whole time. My other complaint to their local Better Business Bureau is on it's way to Seattle.

At this point I was resigned to the fact that I owned the bike and I went about being a "new" owner.
I am disappointed that there are plenty of "cosmetic" issues with the bike - spokes that are nicked and damaged and there are several nicks and scrapes to the frame and rough sections on the cables. I did the same "once over" to my TREK Farley 7 when I got it and could not find a single instance of any damage or any kind while delivered and assembled - not the slightest imperfection of any kind.
No so for the Rad Mini.

I did some sole searching and decided that I might have been over reacting and decided that I should not be so fussy.
In short order I added my favorite seat. And then pedals only to find that one was tight and the other was finger tight.
That means VeloDirect could not complete the most basic service task - tightening stuff before turning the bike over to the client.

Buyer Beware. I was swindled by the parent company and then again by the local mobil bike service people.

But the thing goes down the road. And I see a 14 Ah (upgraded) battery will soon be available.
Too little too late?... The bike is a blast - god I hope the drama is behind me.

Brian, I hope you're enjoying your mini. Honesty I don't think you were 'swindled'. Wasn't RP running a sale end of year? that should be a clue that new updates are coming. Bikes are like cars... new models come out end of year with new improvements.

Brian, I hope you're enjoying your mini. Honesty I don't think you were 'swindled'. Wasn't RP running a sale end of year? that should be a clue that new updates are coming. Bikes are like cars... new models come out end of year with new improvements.

No Sale on this one. Full price.
I am resigned to the fact that I made a mistake, but Rad Power has a few other folks who have complained about the same circumstances.
And Rad Power could have offered a hefty restocking fee, instead I got a rude and distespectful customer service response that was quite shocking. I hope they can build their brand around the machine, because the people working there are hopeless.

And so far I have used my spare time to touch up the paint and repair the scuff marks and scrapes the bike came through with. On a new bike?
I guess TREK had me spoiled. The fit and finish on my TREK Farley 7 is beautiful.

This Rad Mini flies down the road.
I hope to get many miles in once the weather improves.

What's the max weight you all have put on your RadMinis? I know it's listed as having a max of 275 lbs, but what happens if you're consistently over? Mechanical or structure failure, or just won't perform that well? I'm ~270 lbs and ride a RadWagon with my 40 lbs kid in a Yepp seat. If I put my Yepp and kid on the back of a RadMini, is that a major risk or will motor performance just be less?

Back