Any chain drop solutions on the CCX?

so what you're saying is the chain can fall both sides??

if it falls inside, it just falls... and if it falls outside, it gets jammed up in between chain ring and chain guard??

It doesn't get jammed, but yeah it can fall in that small space. If I downshift and keep pedaling it will pop back on the ring though. Thinking about it more it's not really a chain guard since it lets the chain fall off. It's more of a chain ring guard so you don't get your pants greasy.

That's why I advocate the narrow wide solution as it's specifically designed to address chain drop on 1x drivetrains whereas a chainguard is more to protect the teeth from impacts, but as a side affect can help keep the chain from jumping off if the gap between it & the ring is small enough. The stock chainguard did help keep the chain from falling off for a time on that one side but eventually it would just wedge itself in the gap.

I inspected further and I don't think my CCS can fit a double guard anyways. They chain stay is just too close (pics attached). However there looks to be enough room to fit a double sided change guide so I bought one on Amazon and will let you know the results. I also found the Deckas 130BCD on Aliexpress for $20 so I ordered that but won't be here in a long time.

Just in case I bought a new chain too. Mine has well over 2k miles and not sure how long these last on E-bikes.

Attachments

• 20190713_150620.jpg
    20190713_150620.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 725
  • 20190713_150641.jpg
    20190713_150641.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 755
The chain stay is what you are calling the Swing arm. What year is your bike? I got my CCS early 2018 and my chain ring is almost touching the chain stay. We might have different parts.

Sorry for confusion. My first pic was to show there might be enough room for a double sided chain guide / catch to fit between ring and guard. Second pic shows that the ring is pretty close to the stay already.

I inspected further and I don't think my CCS can fit a double guard anyways. They chain stay is just too close (pics attached).

The gap on my Cross Current looked like the one in your picture. I removed the chainring guard, flipped it 180 degrees, and reinstalled it. It’s pretty easy to do and it reduces the gap enough that I have not had any issues with the chain coming off to the outside (which used to happen all the time).

Attachments

• 27B0E6E6-44A1-4F5A-B551-94E37FA8C0B0.jpeg
    27B0E6E6-44A1-4F5A-B551-94E37FA8C0B0.jpeg
    59.7 KB · Views: 835
The gap on my Cross Current looked like the one in your picture. I removed the chainring guard, flipped it 180 degrees, and reinstalled it. It’s pretty easy to do and it reduces the gap enough that I have not had any issues with the chain coming off to the outside (which used to happen all the time).

It didn't even cross my mind that the guard wouldn't be perfectly flat. Good thinking!

I put on the double sided chain guard ($25) last night and no drops on the ride in this morning. Anyways it looks like there are quite a few solutions posted in this thread.

Attachments

• 20190715_200806.jpg
    20190715_200806.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 915
@youth

I got the Deckas 130BCD!

What tools do I need to replace the chain ring?

5 mm and 8 mm allen wrench, crankset puller tool, torque wrench ?

@youth

I got the Deckas 130BCD!

What tools do I need to replace the chain ring?

5 mm and 8 mm allen wrench, crankset puller tool, torque wrench ?

Just the allen wrench and a chaining nut tool. No need to remove crank. If you're lucky you might not need the chainring nut tool (if you can loosen the chainring bolt without the nut spinning on you) or you might trying improvising with a large flat screwdriver.

Just the allen wrench and a chaining nut tool. No need to remove crank. If you're lucky you might not need the chainring nut tool (if you can loosen the chainring bolt without the nut spinning on you) or you might trying improvising with a large flat screwdriver.

Ah! Got it! Do you put any sort of lubricant on the chainring nuts when you put it back together, @youth ?

I have installed the narrow-wide 52T chainring on the CCX. I have not changed anything else. It's the same chain length, etc.
The effect is very good. I used to have 3-4 drops on my 45 miles round trip commute. Now I went for a week without a single drop.

I installed Deckas 130BCD. The narrow-wide chainring bolts to the existing crank and chain guard. The setup looks exactly the same as original.

A thanks-in-advance for this thread/info - I've ordered a Deckas 130BCD narrow/wide for $20 off AliExpress. Started to get more routine drop drops recently, where they used to be more rare. Less than 1k miles, so I doubt my chain has stretched much, more likely related to the street work going on now. I'll probably go with a slightly shorter chain when I replace it, but for now I'm looking forward to a reduction in drops based on the chainring. This is on a 48v CCS.

It didn't even cross my mind that the guard wouldn't be perfectly flat. Good thinking!

I put on the double sided chain guard ($25) last night and no drops on the ride in this morning. Anyways it looks like there are quite a few solutions posted in this thread.

@Armchair , Do you have a link for this one?

Timpo, I think you've got it wrong. The whole point is to get a narrow-wide chainring. With the Deckas one that has already been talked about, you only replace the chainring, and can re-use everything else. No new bolts, guard, etc needed.
Also, you don't need a chainring tool. I thought I needed one, but you can do it with just the correct allen/hex wrench.

Back