Allant+ 9.9S Trigger Shifter-Ongoing, unresolved..NOW, somewhat resolved

Picked up my bike today from LBS, they put a new cable housing and cable in. SEEMS a little easier, raining, windy today, will give it the proper testing over the next few days. Sure hope it's better, like I said, it SEEMS lighter to the touch, but then again it is on no way like the cheapo sub $1,000 bike that was like butter.
Glad that it feels better for you. I am getting used to my Allant 9.9 shifting. After 300 miles I notice what you would with a normal bike - the cables have stretched a bit. The LBS wants you to bring it back anyway for tweaking. Will do that over the next few weeks. Will take it out if weather in NJ cooperates. Going back down to FL in mid-March for a few weeks and will get some time with it there.

Glad that it feels better for you. I am getting used to my Allant 9.9 shifting. After 300 miles I notice what you would with a normal bike - the cables have stretched a bit. The LBS wants you to bring it back anyway for tweaking. Will do that over the next few weeks. Will take it out if weather in NJ cooperates. Going back down to FL in mid-March for a few weeks and will get some time with it there.
Tweak What ? The cables ?

All good with the bike. I actually could have made the slight change in cable stretch by turning the knob by the shift lever. Duh. Everything else checks out after 320 miles. Taking it back down to Florida for a few weeks in March, so should get some good riding in there.

I'll assume you are driving and taking the bike on your rack. I'm headed to Ft. Lauderdale in March, sure wish I could take my bike (flying), but that's a whole different story (ship, send, ship back, etc.)

I'll assume you are driving and taking the bike on your rack. I'm headed to Ft. Lauderdale in March, sure wish I could take my bike (flying), but that's a whole different story (ship, send, ship back, etc.)
Yes, taking the Auto Train with the Bikes on the back. Meeting our daughters for a week in St. Pete, then probably hanging with our friends for a week at Belleair Beach. Should get a few hundred miles in at least. Breaking the Allant 9.9 in a bit before the summer.

Well, with a few days here and there of improving weather at times here in NJ I've had the opportunity to use the bike a bit more. I can say each time I use it I love most everything about it.....but that damn trigger shifting is beginning to present a problem again.

Let me try to be a little more specific. Upshifting is a seamless, flawless effortless process, click, click, click from 1 to 2 to 3 and up. Additionally if I choose to "power shift" I can skip 2-3 gears in hyper spaz mode (my terminology). Flawless. However, downshifting is a totally different experience. Going from top gear down, down, down, 12-11-10-9 and so on is in the beginning an easy effort but as each gear begins on the downward shift the trigger shifter feels like I'm pushing against a rubber band. As I approach 4-3-2-1 if feels like the rubber band effect is inhibiting me from the ease one would expect. It has gotten to be more of an effort as I downshift and I've attempted to move the trigger shifter to various positions so that I can use the ball of my thumb instead of the tip of my thumb. Nonetheless, the rubber band effect is evident. So, I'm at a loss. I'm going to have to experiment riding different bikes to compare to validate my point. I'm quite frankly a tad disappointed for a $6k bike. Like I said in a previous post, I don't see this behavior on other bikes, only mine.

To word it simply there is no positive shifting effect when downshifting as there is in comparison to an upshift. It's rubbery, almost feels like sticky. My worries in time it will only become worse, as this is out the gate new. I should have stuck with my initial instincts when I test rode an Allant in NYC and had the same (if not worse) experience, and the Trek employee said it wan't tweaked being a demo, etc. My bad.

If this Corona virus makes it impossible for me to keep my flight next week to Ft. Lauderdale I may consider throwing it on the rack and drive down. If I do and you are still around (Rob), I'll stay on the Gulf Coast for a day or two before heading to Ft. Lauderdale. How long are you down there for?

Well, with a few days here and there of improving weather at times here in NJ I've had the opportunity to use the bike a bit more. I can say each time I use it I love most everything about it.....but that damn trigger shifting is beginning to present a problem again.

Let me try to be a little more specific. Upshifting is a seamless, flawless effortless process, click, click, click from 1 to 2 to 3 and up. Additionally if I choose to "power shift" I can skip 2-3 gears in hyper spaz mode (my terminology). Flawless. However, downshifting is a totally different experience. Going from top gear down, down, down, 12-11-10-9 and so on is in the beginning an easy effort but as each gear begins on the downward shift the trigger shifter feels like I'm pushing against a rubber band. As I approach 4-3-2-1 if feels like the rubber band effect is inhibiting me from the ease one would expect. It has gotten to be more of an effort as I downshift and I've attempted to move the trigger shifter to various positions so that I can use the ball of my thumb instead of the tip of my thumb. Nonetheless, the rubber band effect is evident. So, I'm at a loss. I'm going to have to experiment riding different bikes to compare to validate my point. I'm quite frankly a tad disappointed for a $6k bike. Like I said in a previous post, I don't see this behavior on other bikes, only mine.

To word it simply there is no positive shifting effect when downshifting as there is in comparison to an upshift. It's rubbery, almost feels like sticky. My worries in time it will only become worse, as this is out the gate new. I should have stuck with my initial instincts when I test rode an Allant in NYC and had the same (if not worse) experience, and the Trek employee said it wan't tweaked being a demo, etc. My bad.

If this Corona virus makes it impossible for me to keep my flight next week to Ft. Lauderdale I may consider throwing it on the rack and drive down. If I do and you are still around (Rob), I'll stay on the Gulf Coast for a day or two before heading to Ft. Lauderdale. How long are you down there for?
Sorry to hear you are still having trouble. I will take special note to see if I see the same shifting issues when I take the bike to FL next week. Driving down on 10th to St. Pete, and then back on the 25th or so. We are driving, but daughters down flying down there 14th to 21st, so not sure if we will go if they cannot fly and things get a bit locked down. We will see! Odd times. Just take proper precautions, ride our bikes and stay healthy.

new user here and new 9.9S owner as well. Have been riding bikes for 50 years (probably more) and got my 9.9S on Saturday. Put 60 miles on it Sunday and 18.2 miles yesterday, so not a lot of miles. The 18.2 miles is my daily commute, 9.1 each way. So far, I am loving it, I found no issues with shifting force. I do find the gears "clunk" more than I would like, but I have been riding a Klein mtb for the last 15 years and found this shifter to be equal. The Klein was top of the line back when I bought it, still not bad and has Deore XT components. I also have a cheap Trek mtb with Acera components. Between the 3 bikes I didnt feel any difference with shifting force.

Well then, I guess I'll need to ride another 9.9S, an 8 and a 7 to see if it's the bike or me.

new user here and new 9.9S owner as well. Have been riding bikes for 50 years (probably more) and got my 9.9S on Saturday. Put 60 miles on it Sunday and 18.2 miles yesterday, so not a lot of miles. The 18.2 miles is my daily commute, 9.1 each way. So far, I am loving it, I found no issues with shifting force. I do find the gears "clunk" more than I would like, but I have been riding a Klein mtb for the last 15 years and found this shifter to be equal. The Klein was top of the line back when I bought it, still not bad and has Deore XT components. I also have a cheap Trek mtb with Acera components. Between the 3 bikes I didnt feel any difference with shifting force.
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I am just being too sensitive. ;) And maybe I was just used to the SC 8+ Other than that, all good with mine!

With the weather turning, I did a 20 mile commute last week and a 30 mile commute yesterday. I was pleased with the smooth shifting. I like the very positive click of the shifter. I had a few rough shifts that were entirely my fault and attributable to poor timing. I would hesitate to say however, that it shifts more smoothly or more easily vs my Haibike which has a Deore MT8000 1x11.

Thanks for your thoughts about shifting issues on the new Allant. It helped me decide to go ahead with a major upgrade to the stock drive train.

I pick up a ne Allant 9.9s later today. The local Trek shop installed the shimano 10-51 cassette along with the sram Axis wireless derailluer/shifter. I was wanting to go electronic and was impressed by the features and build quality of the Sram.

It was a big splurge but reading this thread tipped me over in favor of going for it. I'll have gear range close to a Rohloff and crisp, accurate and durable shifting. Now let's see how these 12 speed chains hold up.

...The local Trek shop installed the shimano 10-51 cassette along with the sram Axis wireless derailluer/shifter. I was wanting to go electronic and was impressed by the features and build quality of the Sram...

This is pretty cool and an intriguing upgrade (just watched a Youtube video). How big of a work-effort is this swap? What's involved?

I'm super interested also. Can you provide specific details as to the exact parts and cost. Thanks

Thanks for your thoughts about shifting issues on the new Allant. It helped me decide to go ahead with a major upgrade to the stock drive train.

I pick up a ne Allant 9.9s later today. The local Trek shop installed the shimano 10-51 cassette along with the sram Axis wireless derailluer/shifter. I was wanting to go electronic and was impressed by the features and build quality of the Sram.

It was a big splurge but reading this thread tipped me over in favor of going for it. I'll have gear range close to a Rohloff and crisp, accurate and durable shifting. Now let's see how these 12 speed chains hold up.

I'd be interested to know the total cost, sites say $1900 for the Sram stuff or is it only $1,000 for an 'upgrade kit', but anything over that plus the labor? Approaching $8-$9k is crazy, but if it is the answer, what does that say about the initial design by Trek? And upgrade kit only is what is needed or more?

Last edited:

Additionally, with the cassette change, etc., is there any need to have anything reprogrammed in the Bosch system or any ill effect because of the change of stuff?

Excuse my ignorance, but upon further research, I do not know if all that would be needed is the X01 or XX1 AXS upgrade kit for $1,000 and that's it? If so, great! If not, why the 10-51 cassette? Is it needed or necessary? Also, when I spoke with Shimano a month or so ago, they said a Di2 swap out would need a different hub? Not up to speed on the mechanics or reasoning as to what or why that is and if additional components would be required for the basic X01/XX1 install.

Back