Allant+ 9.9S Trigger Shifter-Ongoing, unresolved..NOW, somewhat resolved

It turned out that the bike came with the cassette I wanted which was the Shimano XT CS M8100 with 1-51 teeth. It was either part of a running spec upgrade or an issue of availability for production.

That cassette requires the new Microspine hub which was already installed on my bike from the factory.

As I also wanted electronic shifting, it cost an Extra $1000 to buy the SRAM X01 EAGLE AXS X01 UPGRADE KIT - which included the rear derailleur, shifter, derailleur battery, charger, etc.

The installation was pretty simple. It involved removing the derailleur, shifter and cable, mounting the AXS derailleur & shifter, charging the battery, pairing the two, and of course setting the limit screws. It did require a 126 link chain and used every link. Once everything is installed and adjusted I then downloaded the app to my phone which allows me to select how many gears are spanned with a press and hold going up and going down, as well as switching out the up and down press on the shifter.

Going with the Di2 would have taken more money and more install time as there are several different cables that need to be installed. The wireless Sram set up is simple by comparison. It is also compatible with Shimano cassettes.

Here is a review. It may be a while till I can review the bike and drive train myself as I am experiencing health issue that will keep me off my bike for a while...so don't ask me how I like it as I will be unable to answer.

Here is a review:

https://www.bikeperfect.com/reviews/sram-eagle-axs-review

and a video review after six months of use.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. What I'm still not understanding is the microspline hub and different cassette. For all intents and purposes, can I leave OEM factory Shimano hub, whatever spline, etc., that's on the bike as delivered and just get the AXS upgrade kit? If so great, if not, why. Thanks

My research shows the Allant 9,9S comes from the factory with the Shimano SLX M7100, 10-45T, 12 speed cassette. Not sure how (I do not know, excuse my ignorance) why a spline would need to be also changed)

Thanks for the feedback. What I'm still not understanding is the microspline hub and different cassette. For all intents and purposes, can I leave OEM factory Shimano hub, whatever spline, etc., that's on the bike as delivered and just get the AXS upgrade kit? If so great, if not, why. Thanks

My research shows the Allant 9,9S comes from the factory with the Shimano SLX M7100, 10-45T, 12 speed cassette. Not sure how (I do not know, excuse my ignorance) why a spline would need to be also changed)

My research showed the same 10-45 cassette however my bike was delivered with the upgrade so they cancelled my order for the 10-51 cassette. This may be a new standard part or a substitute due to supply issues.

The hub question pertains to the choice of cassette not derailleur. Many of the newer 12 speed cassettes require a different hub. Don't ask me why.

I do much of my own wrench twisting. However, there are many fine points of parts compatibility when you get into the back end of the drive train. That is why I leave those specific component choices and installation to my trusted local bike mechanic, who happens to work at the Trek shop here in Bellingham. It avoids my purchasing a part that won't work on my bike and gives me the option of going back in if anything need fine tuning. It is worth the few extra dollars to make sure it is done right and I don't end up with a part that won't work on my bike. If I am going to spend $1000 for upgrade parts, another $100 to make sure it is installed properly is well worth it. Once it is all together and I need to replace parts, I do it myself.

So, you state "It is also compatible with Shimano cassettes", so that means all that was needed was the X01 upgrade kit, correct? You also say, "It did require a 126 link chain and used every link", so was it a specific chain or?
I'm wanting to replicate your modification, so I'd like to know it it was basically just the upgrade kit + a chain or were there other necessary components.

...As I also wanted electronic shifting, it cost an Extra $1000 to buy the SRAM X01 EAGLE AXS X01 UPGRADE KIT - which included the rear derailleur, shifter, derailleur battery, charger, etc...

The reviews and videos I watched emphasized the flawless, precision shifting of the SRAM. I went to my LBS today for another reason and I mentioned this to them kind of like "so whaddya guys think about this idea...?". I expected them to think it crazy but actually the lead mechanic just launched into rave reviews for the SRAM electronic setup. He mentioned several shop customers who swear by it and who have swapped it onto all of their bikes. He thinks it not to be a major work effort but will spec it out for me. Thanks for the tip. As I was there, I saw two potential customers heading out Allants for test rides. One customer had just dropped his carbon non-electric road bike for some service.

So, you state "It is also compatible with Shimano cassettes", so that means all that was needed was the X01 upgrade kit, correct? You also say, "It did require a 126 link chain and used every link", so was it a specific chain or?
I'm wanting to replicate your modification, so I'd like to know it it was basically just the upgrade kit + a chain or were there other necessary components.
I needed nothing else. YMMV. Like I said, it's well worth it to turn the project over to a good mechanic at your LBS. He should be able to answer any other questions.

GREAT! So, have you had any opportunity to ride and test it out? Also, $1,000 for the kit, cannot seem to find it anywhere for less so it is what it is. One thing still need to know. The chain....did you do what, as you said 126 links, it required use of the existing one or a different one?

All was ordered and installed at our local Trek shop. Just trust the to get it right.

I'm temporarily out of commission. My impressions will follow when I'm back on the bike.

I’m taking the time to attempt to describe fully the problem, again, possibly in more detail so it is clearly understood.

Upon downshifting and applying pressure to the trigger shifter, each press of the lever does not return fully to it’s initial position, it’s like pressing a sponge, and you know of feel the lever slowly return, in milliseconds, and not a crisp, defined, specific acknowledgement of each movement. As the gears go from 12 to 11 to 10 to 9 etc., each reduction of gear presents itself with the problem more defined as the successive presses are achieved. There have been times that the lever performs almost in a slow motion, like it is in a rubber surround, or like an opposite force inhibiting it from fully snapping back.

This is the issue, non-resolved from the start, even though the dealer has replaced the cable.

I’m at the end of my level of patience.

where are you located? maybe you can ride another 9.9 (like mine if you are close). You may be too picky OR I may not be picky enough, riding another may help. I seem to remember you rode a 8 to test, but don't remember if you rode another 9.9.

For me, I don't notice any difference in shifting from my Klein or other Trek, but I am willing to admit maybe I don't know better. If I can force my dealer to fix the wheel circumference issue, I will be thrilled with this bike. Even put my Brooks saddle on it over the past weekend, although it rained here all week so no riding, but putting that saddle on means I really like the bike (thats what my wife said).

...For me, I don't notice any difference in shifting from my Klein or other Trek, but I am willing to admit maybe I don't know better. If I can force my dealer to fix the wheel circumference issue, I will be thrilled with this bike. Even put my Brooks saddle on it over the past weekend, although it rained here all week so no riding, but putting that saddle on means I really like the bike (thats what my wife said).

The 9.9s shifting feels smooth to me and I don't notice any difference whether shifting to easier gear or to harder gear. It is a stiffer trigger vs my Haibike or Tern GSD but not uncomfortably so. But I'm with you in that I probably just lack the knowledge or experience to recognize the difference.

Well, it's been a pleasure....I just finished my 3rd 25 mile run today, and with 75 miles on the Allant + since picking it up late Saturday and I gotta say WOW! (w/new motor, new Sram Eagle AXS upgrade kit and rear hub rebuild)

The AXS shifting is beyond compare. Like a dream. I liken it to paddle shifting on a Porsche Cayman. Smooth, effortless, precise, consistent, quiet and quite frankly EVERYTHING it should have been from day one.

Sure, I understand price point, salability and maybe not everyone would want to pay for something they think they don't need but believe me, you need it! Once you are accustomed to it after a short while then it sinks in. You're addicted. You want to ride more. You try different shifting patterns, you attempt to experiment with your cadence and keeping the perfect rhythm while shifting seamlessly up and down the gear range depending on the terrain. Wow!

So yup, if you can, go for it. You'll never look back.

Regarding the new motor and rear hub rebuild; sure sounds a little different from the 1st motor.....a little more 'whiney' but seems perfect without issue. The rear hub freewheeling 'normal' clicking as when originally delivered is now non-existent and dead silent. That's a whole different discussion on another thread. Nonetheless all is close to what a $6,000 bike should be (now with options and accessories closer to $8k) with the only exception of that rear fender clanking over rough terrain, which I'm told Trek supposedly has a fix for upon my next visit to the local dealer.

With the next few days of New Jersey Spring weather finally acting like spring I'm going to push some more and enjoy this bike.

Back