Allant 9.9S issues and questions

mikeyr

OK, got my new 20 Allant 9.9S, loving it.

3rd day riding the computer fell off along with my Smartphone, hopefully they did a better job of bolting it down this time :)

Is there any way to get/keep a log of rides ? COBI seems to only keep track of today's ride. I noticed Strava is a option but I don't want to be turning multiple things on before a ride, I just want to turn on my bike and go. (I did download Strava and will see how it works tonight on the ride home but I don't care about that stuff, just want a simple log).

Now to my immediate problem, I see that in COBI you have to set your tire circumference for accurate speed, its set 2071mm and adjustable from 1967mm to 2174mm but according to various websites, the tire circumference should be around 22xx. The bike is brand new this weekend, do I have a old version of software ? did Trek really ship it that way without correct circumference ? or does it pick up speed from GPS ?

2 pics, one of my high tech bike with low tech repair to get me to bike shop and second of the COBI circumference screen, I am hoping I have no idea what i am talking about and its right.
46793 46794

... Is there any way to get/keep a log of rides ? COBI seems to only keep track of today's ride. I noticed Strava is a option but I don't want to be turning multiple things on before a ride, I just want to turn on my bike and go. (I did download Strava and will see how it works tonight on the ride home but I don't care about that stuff, just want a simple log).

Now to my immediate problem, I see that in COBI you have to set your tire circumference for accurate speed, its set 2071mm and adjustable from 1967mm to 2174mm but according to various websites, the tire circumference should be around 22xx. The bike is brand new this weekend, do I have a old version of software ? did Trek really ship it that way without correct circumference ? or does it pick up speed from GPS ?

I haven't figured out a way to get a log of rides or post ride statistics beyond distance, time and average speed. It doesn't even provide top speed. Like you, I didn't want to mess with multiple apps such as Strava.

My tire circumference is set to 2234 mm. I was assuming the Cobi picked this up from the bike's controller when the bluetooth connection (you can ride the bike just using the bike's controller without Cobi connected so it seems the info on tire circumference would have to be stored in the bike's computer in order to read the speed sensor correctly). And I assumed with Cobi connected that it was using GPS for speed and distance given that it has real-time navigation. But I could well be wrong about all of this - I have been operating on assumptions.

I don't recall ever setting up the controller or my bike's tire circumference. My shop had the bike all setup for me when I took delivery. So similar to the old style Intuvia display, I've assumed the dealer set this. All I can recall is setting up my profile inclusive of the bike class such as road bike, city bike etc. Sorry I'm not much help here.

well Strava worked fine for the way home, it turned on all by itself and kept my ride, so I think that will work for me, still wish COBI kept a log but this will work. I have the free version of Strava so I hope it keeps working.

One thing I noticed when I got home, is that my tires are at 60PSI and it says on the side of the 30-50, I called the dealer and they said they always set them to 60.

I can't set my tire circumference in COBI to the correct one...guess back to the dealer. I will look for updates first.

One thing I noticed when I got home, is that my tires are at 60PSI and it says on the side of the 30-50, I called the dealer and they said they always set them to 60.

60! Yikes that seems extreme. I normally run about 40-45 on Super Moto X and the Bontragers on the Allant. Tried 50 after adding the Tannus liners and it seemed ok. Not sure what the benefit would be of 60. Detriment would be really unforgiving ride perhaps. But maybe best to experiment a little.

Strava again turned on by itself when I turned the bike on and kept track of my ride withOUT any action from me, so while i still would prefer COBI to keep track, I am happy with that part.

I lowered the tire pressure to 45, much nicer ride. Dealer said to set the tire circumference to its highest number 2174 and nothing else can be done even though it should 22xx. I clicked on "support request" in the COBI app, didn't send a message YET but it filled out this information.

app/version: 1.15.14
mobile/model: iPhone10,3
mobile/os: ios
mobile/osVersion: 13.3.1
hub/motorInterfaceId: bosch
hub/thumbControllerInterfaceId: boschKiox
hub/transmissionInterfaceId: none
hub/serialNumber: 9550
hub/firmwareVersion: 1.0.7

Yet, this website https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/faq/what-are-the-latest-versions-for-cobibike/ says I should be at hub/firmware 1.9.4 and I wonder if that is my issue with circumference. I find no way to do a manual update so I guess its hassle with the dealer that thinks nothing is wrong.

Again, as I said in the first post, I have no idea what I am doing here, I may be barking up the wrong tree and worrying about nothing wrong (wont be the first time).

Strava again turned on by itself when I turned the bike on and kept track of my ride withOUT any action from me, so while i still would prefer COBI to keep track, I am happy with that part.

I ask this without having first tried to figure it out (so maybe it is easy) but how do you sync Cobi to Strava? I have no experience with Strava but it sounds like it is the way to go if one wants better post-ride info than is available from the Cobi app.

Hi Guys - you can turn on the Strava stuff in the Cobi app under settings and connected services. Same place where you connect up Apple health so it can read your heart rate from an Apple watch. Have not played with Strava, but when using the Apple heath app, it cancels out double counting of rides, and a few other things.

yeah, its all done in the COBI app, its been working well. Strava has recorded my rides perfectly. All that is left is my tire circumference issue and the dealer seems to think its fine being off that much. Says there are no updates needed and the app would do it if needed. The only frustrating thing with this bike so far is how little information there is out there, I know the bike is new but COBI is not. I asked about installed the COBI taillight and was told it may not work with my smartphone hub, they were not sure since the bike already has one taillight. I would think I was not the first to ask that. I may be going to L.A. this weekend and will ask another Trek dealer about the update and tire circumference.

so 2 more days and Strava is recording each time with no interaction from me, I consider that issue closed. I still would prefer COBI do it so I only have one app, but I am ok with this solution.

I spoke with another dealer and they said I can bring my bike in and they will update it (but they are 100 miles away, i just happened to be in the neighborhood) so with that information, I went to my local dealer and they are going to look at the tire circumference issue when I bring the bike in for its tune up in 200 or so miles.

I too am perplexed with the inability to correctly set the wheel circumference.
RIM=650b/27.5
TIRE=2.40 inch
(ISO)=584
TIRE=60.96
WHEEL=705.92
CIRCUMFERENCE=2217.71 = 87.31141732
2224 = 87.55906
The COBI can't be set the proper number

Only a dealer can change the wheel circumference on a Bosch system. And even then, they can only adjust +/-5%.

Regardless, the "set" parameters have a limit that do not equal real world existence of what equipment exists.

well +5% would be good enough as that would get COBI above the 2224 (I found 2234 on the web, but can't argue with the math above), if the dealer can 5% that gets it to 2282.
Odd that Trek would not fix that before it left the factory. COBI also said my bike weighed 30lbs. but that i could change.

Only a dealer can change the wheel circumference on a Bosch system. And even then, they can only adjust +/-5%.
you mean above the numbers in COBI right ? if you look at my first post above you will see a pic where I can change the wheel circumference in COBI but not change it enough

I think they did that because people were bypassing the speed limiter by putting in a smaller circumference to make it look like they were going a lot slower than they really were.

you mean above the numbers in COBI right ? if you look at my first post above you will see a pic where I can change the wheel circumference in COBI but not change it enough
The COBI display is just relaying what's programmed into the system firmware. Doesn't matter what display you have.

ok, I agree with that, I thought you were thinking the COBI could not be changed. Yes, I agree, its a firmware issue, but they say its not at my dealer. Bike is going in for a overnight stay this week.

Just ask them to do a rollout of your tire, see what the circumference is, and then input that into the Bosch firmware (though they might only be able to get somewhat close because of the +/-5% thing).

well, I agree this should have been EASY, but I am upset that Trek shipped out a bike with the wrong numbers. This should have been done by Trek before building and shipping the bike. Anyway went to the dealer and they updated my firmware and no help. They called Trek who sent them to Bosch who said (not joking here) only 2 people can change that and they are not working right now due to COVID, we have to schedule a time with one of those 2 to fix the issue.

Back