Adjust reach on Trek Allant+7

DMW

I am 70 (wow when did that happen?), 5.5 tall and have the small frame Allant+7 bike. Overall the bike is OK. A bit heavy but that comes with ebikes. My problem is after riding I get back, elbow, and hand pain. I wear gloves but my hands still go numb. It feels like I just want my fingertips vs the palm of my hands to rest on the handlebars. Any suggestions how to correct the fit? I think the reach is about and 1+inch to long. Thanks.

you just buy a shorter stem. I cant remember what my 8 came with as I changed it before it left the shop. a treadless stem and 31.8 bars.

A handlebar riser is the most frequent accessory new Allant owners add to their bike — so said the Trek salesperson when I bought my 7s (I am 72yrs) — which they installed on mine before I picked it up.

The 7s is Trek’s continuation of their Super Commuter model and has a slightly more aggressive posture preferred by the younger commuters. Us older folks’ backs tend to prefer a bit more upright position.

From your description you are putting excessive pressure onto your hands which usually means you are bent further over than you are accustomed. Comparing the Allant’s athletic posture, vs. the Verve’s hybrid posture, you may not succeed in totally relieving that wrist pressure.

I suggest you have Trek fit your bike to your riding posture — including a handlebar riser.

Have fun with your new Allant. 7,800 miles on mine — smiling every mile!

Thanks. for the replies. Confirmed what I was thinking. I also thought about punching the 7s and have frequently regretted not getting it. The fit felt a bit different (better), but preferred the class1 bike. Time to visit the Track store again.

Thanks. for the replies. Confirmed what I was thinking. I also thought about punching the 7s and have frequently regretted not getting it. The fit felt a bit different (better), but preferred the class1 bike. Time to visit the Track store again.
Please accept my apology for my bumptious wording that maybe insinuated a significant difference between the 7s and 7. I misread your post by assuming you had the s model. Sorry.

Please be confident that your choice is the right one for you. As you know, both bikes are identical except for the motor. The 7 also shares the frame with the 8. But from the perspective of the 7’s suspended front fork and more useful rear carrier I prefer the 7 as a more attractive and useful choice.

Your bike’s CX motor is an exceptional motor most noted for its torque — the ability to confidently and safely move you from start. And it can easily climb most any hill.

The primary difference between the CX and Speed motors is how you use Turbo. If we take an assumption that most riders our age will ride in the 10-16mph range, Turbo is great when you have to pull out and pass trail walkers, or climb a hill, or scoot across an intersection. Kind of like the passing gear in cars.

Turbo on the s models is most useful when riding with 25mph commuter traffic. Until or unless you are also a speed freak like me, you will be very happy with the CX motor.

Lastly, if you really still want the s model, Trek has it discounted to the same price as your 7, and you have a 30 day 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Thanks. No need to apologize, but appreciate your kindness. Good info you provide thanks.

Back