Allant+ 7S One Month Update

I bought Allant+ 7S Staggers for my wife and I about four weeks ago. In the four weeks I have put about 550 miles on mine (20 mile ride every morning except for Mondays).

Very happy with the bike so far. Quality of all the components and overall build is excellent. Getting about 65-70 miles per charge (primarily riding in ECO with an occasional bump up to TOUR or SPORT heading up steeper inclines.

I have added A Mircycle Bar-end Mirror to each bike as well as Bontrager Ion Pro RT Front Lights and Ion Flare RT rear lights. Bought some new pedals for mine (Bontrager Pro MTB pedal set) but haven't put those on yet.

In the four weeks I have had four flat tires on my bike and one on my wife's. Two of the flats sealed up on their own (bike shop put slime sealant in the tubes) but two of the flats (both rear tire) required me to pull the rear tire to replace the tube. The first time I pulled the rear tire off I was quickly able to break the tire bead and replace the tube but navigating getting the rear wheel back on was challenging. I finally ended up pulling the rear wheel center quick disconnect bolt (skewer) off the wheel to make it easier to get it seated back in the cutouts. The second time I could not get the bead to release on the rear tire and had to run to down to a nearby bike shop where the mechanic used a Park Tool PTS-1 Tire Seater to pop the bead off. He replaced the tube and getting the rear wheel back on the bike was a lot easier the second time. I will say though that if you think you can do a tube replacement or even apply a patch to a flat tire on the side of the road or bike path it may be challenging. I had mine up on a bike maintenance stand both times to get the rear wheel off and reinstalled. I have started buying some specific tools to be able to do some basic maintenance myself as well.

A couple of complaints:

1. As others have noted, not being able to turn the lights off from the controller. It appears this can be remedied with the software update or rewiring and will get the LBS to fix when I bring in for 90 day servicing
2. Occasionally get what I would describe as a rattling sound which sounds like its coming from the pedal area (or maybe the motor). Only happens intermittently when pedaling. Will get this checked out as well.
3. None of the Bontrager MIK bags fit on the Racktime Rack. After reading another post, did some research and ordered the correct adapter for fastening Bontrager bags to Racktime racks. People in the LBS were clueless about the whole situation.

Questions to others:

1. Battery charging - do you charge your battery to 100% each time? I was doing some research and found a couple of articles showing that charging to 100% gets you about 500 charge cycles but charging to ~80% gets you more like 1200-1500 charge cycles. You need to charge to 100% periodically to load balance the cells but that can be done every tenth time. Ineterested in what other owners are doing about battery charging. Since I live in the Phoenix AZ area I bring my battery inside after ride because my garage gets up yo 105+ F this time of year.
2. What other accessories/mods (if any) have you done to you Allant+ 7S? Any accessories you can recommend?

Happy riding to all!

I have the Allant +7 and just had a rear flat (Schwalbe G-One) after 300+ miles. I was surprised when it happened and even more surprised when the Trek shop I took it to had so much trouble (like you) getting the tire back on and seated. In examining the tire and tube, the tech could not find anything wrong with the tire or the rim yet the tube had a small hole on the inside (rim side) of the tube.

I have been charging my battery to 100% every time so far. I may change that going forward. I also bring my battery in from the garage. I have heard a little clicking (about 1/2 second each occurrence) but not very often when it did. I can’t tell where the noise comes from. I too am planning on getting the Racktime adapter for bags but may just buy a Racktime bag.

When you go to get the Bosch update, ask specifically for the lights on/off function. Not sure what motor or crank your +7s has but mine is the PLCX/170mm crank combo which apparently allowed the EMTB mode (which I specifically asked for) choice to appear in the update software.

Not impossible but very difficult to flat when running Tannus Armour. I have had one flat in more than 10,000 miles and that was an inch long piece of metal that managed to get through and make a big enough hole that the sealant in the tube would not seal.

I'm trying out tannus as well, it fits perfect into the rim, but take a bit of work to get the tire back on. Needs a slightly smaller inner tube as tannus recommends, the tubolito one fits perfect though.

I'm trying out tannus as well, it fits perfect into the rim, but take a bit of work to get the tire back on. Needs a slightly smaller inner tube as tannus recommends, the tubolito one fits perfect though.
I let my LBS install them for me.

I bought Allant+ 7S Staggers for my wife and I about four weeks ago. In the four weeks I have put about 550 miles on mine (20 mile ride every morning except for Mondays).

Very happy with the bike so far. Quality of all the components and overall build is excellent. Getting about 65-70 miles per charge (primarily riding in ECO with an occasional bump up to TOUR or SPORT heading up steeper inclines.

I have added A Mircycle Bar-end Mirror to each bike as well as Bontrager Ion Pro RT Front Lights and Ion Flare RT rear lights. Bought some new pedals for mine (Bontrager Pro MTB pedal set) but haven't put those on yet.

In the four weeks I have had four flat tires on my bike and one on my wife's. Two of the flats sealed up on their own (bike shop put slime sealant in the tubes) but two of the flats (both rear tire) required me to pull the rear tire to replace the tube. The first time I pulled the rear tire off I was quickly able to break the tire bead and replace the tube but navigating getting the rear wheel back on was challenging. I finally ended up pulling the rear wheel center quick disconnect bolt (skewer) off the wheel to make it easier to get it seated back in the cutouts. The second time I could not get the bead to release on the rear tire and had to run to down to a nearby bike shop where the mechanic used a Park Tool PTS-1 Tire Seater to pop the bead off. He replaced the tube and getting the rear wheel back on the bike was a lot easier the second time. I will say though that if you think you can do a tube replacement or even apply a patch to a flat tire on the side of the road or bike path it may be challenging. I had mine up on a bike maintenance stand both times to get the rear wheel off and reinstalled. I have started buying some specific tools to be able to do some basic maintenance myself as well.

A couple of complaints:

1. As others have noted, not being able to turn the lights off from the controller. It appears this can be remedied with the software update or rewiring and will get the LBS to fix when I bring in for 90 day servicing
2. Occasionally get what I would describe as a rattling sound which sounds like its coming from the pedal area (or maybe the motor). Only happens intermittently when pedaling. Will get this checked out as well.
3. None of the Bontrager MIK bags fit on the Racktime Rack. After reading another post, did some research and ordered the correct adapter for fastening Bontrager bags to Racktime racks. People in the LBS were clueless about the whole situation.

Questions to others:

1. Battery charging - do you charge your battery to 100% each time? I was doing some research and found a couple of articles showing that charging to 100% gets you about 500 charge cycles but charging to ~80% gets you more like 1200-1500 charge cycles. You need to charge to 100% periodically to load balance the cells but that can be done every tenth time. Ineterested in what other owners are doing about battery charging. Since I live in the Phoenix AZ area I bring my battery inside after ride because my garage gets up yo 105+ F this time of year.
2. What other accessories/mods (if any) have you done to you Allant+ 7S? Any accessories you can recommend?

Happy riding to all!
I just my Allant+ 7S yesterday and I had asked quite a few questions about the whole bike since I'm totally new to the eBike. The sales/tech guy said it was an update/setup mode that had to be installed, which he did so now I can manually turn on/off the light simply by holding the + button for 2 seconds to turn on and again to turn off, then changing the speed to show mph rather than kilometers. So far, Im happy, but I am looking into going tubeless or just trying to add those tire walls to prevent flats. I agree I don't want to be changing a flat on the side of the road somewhere or in the middle of nowhere.

Attachments

• BCB09296-9F3D-40FA-B796-6E9A464F4D22.jpeg
    BCB09296-9F3D-40FA-B796-6E9A464F4D22.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 539
I just my Allant+ 7S yesterday and I had asked quite a few questions about the whole bike since I'm totally new to the eBike. The sales/tech guy said it was an update/setup mode that had to be installed, which he did so now I can manually turn on/off the light simply by holding the + button for 2 seconds to turn on and again to turn off, then changing the speed to show mph rather than kilometers. So far, Im happy, but I am looking into going tubeless or just trying to add those tire walls to prevent flats. I agree I don't want to be changing a flat on the side of the road somewhere or in the middle of nowhere.
Looks like a very rough area for an Allant! Enjoy and be careful!😎

A couple of complaints:

Questions to others:

Happy riding to all!
Hornblower,

I've had my Allant+ 7S for about a month so far, and I really like it. It's well built and more comfortable now that I had my LBS install an adjustable Bontrager stem for me to sit up just a little more. Since I owned a Trek Lift electric pedal assist bike for four years prior to my Allant, I'm noticing some subtle differences with the "feel" of the ride, aside from some of the obvious changes like tire performance and speed. I noticed that the Allant+ 7S chain seems to slap or even hesitate a bit when I move the gearshift from one speed to the next. When I brought the bike into my LBS, I was told to be slower with my pedaling when changing gears and that I should hold my thumb or finger longer on the gearshift levers. I reminded the tech that I owned a Trek Lift for four years and never had a problem with chain slap or gearshift changes. As a result, he tightened something (?) on the deraileur, which made it perform a little bit better. Have you had this problem?

Also, I'm beginning to notice a subtle and intermittent vibration from either the Bosch motor or the front sprocket when accelerating going up a hill or on flat surfaces. I don't know if that could be the tires or the motor or sprocket. Any ideas on what that could be?

Like you, I learned that ~80% charge level is the sweet spot for the Bosch system and battery. If the temperature gets any lower that 45 degrees, I always bring the battery in just to keep it around 68 degrees or so in our home. Heat will hurt the life of the battery, so I'll be bringing the battery in more frequently during the summer and fall.

My accessories, in addition to a Bontrager Adjustable Stem, are an Ergon SC Core Prime Seat (to arrive soon), 3M Protective Bra Tape (for the top tube and a bar that I keep kicking as I pedal), Cycliq Fly6 Generation 3 taillight/camera, Cycliq Fly12 Headlight/Camera (both of which I owned prior to buying this bike), a Bontrager Adventure Frame Bag, a Mirrycle Mirror, and HuldIt U-Lock Carrier for my lock which I keep on my rear carrier.

I'd like to read any replies and thoughts from other Trek Allant+ owners and interested e-bike enthusiasts.

Cheers!

Hornblower,

I've had my Allant+ 7S for about a month so far, and I really like it. It's well built and more comfortable now that I had my LBS install an adjustable Bontrager stem for me to sit up just a little more. Since I owned a Trek Lift electric pedal assist bike for four years prior to my Allant, I'm noticing some subtle differences with the "feel" of the ride, aside from some of the obvious changes like tire performance and speed. I noticed that the Allant+ 7S chain seems to slap or even hesitate a bit when I move the gearshift from one speed to the next. When I brought the bike into my LBS, I was told to be slower with my pedaling when changing gears and that I should hold my thumb or finger longer on the gearshift levers. I reminded the tech that I owned a Trek Lift for four years and never had a problem with chain slap or gearshift changes. As a result, he tightened something (?) on the deraileur, which made it perform a little bit better. Have you had this problem?

Also, I'm beginning to notice a subtle and intermittent vibration from either the Bosch motor or the front sprocket when accelerating going up a hill or on flat surfaces. I don't know if that could be the tires or the motor or sprocket. Any ideas on what that could be?

Like you, I learned that ~80% charge level is the sweet spot for the Bosch system and battery. If the temperature gets any lower that 45 degrees, I always bring the battery in just to keep it around 68 degrees or so in our home. Heat will hurt the life of the battery, so I'll be bringing the battery in more frequently during the summer and fall.

My accessories, in addition to a Bontrager Adjustable Stem, are an Ergon SC Core Prime Seat (to arrive soon), 3M Protective Bra Tape (for the top tube and a bar that I keep kicking as I pedal), Cycliq Fly6 Generation 3 taillight/camera, Cycliq Fly12 Headlight/Camera (both of which I owned prior to buying this bike), a Bontrager Adventure Frame Bag, a Mirrycle Mirror, and HuldIt U-Lock Carrier for my lock which I keep on my rear carrier.

I'd like to read any replies and thoughts from other Trek Allant+ owners and interested e-bike enthusiasts.

Cheers!
I’ve owned my Allant+7 sine May ‘20 and have well over 1k miles and still love the bike. I haven’t noticed any “slap” or odd vibrations. I did ask my LBS to adjust the derailleur after about 300 miles as it felt like it was struggling to shift quickly and quietly into gear when going uphill. It took him about 10 minutes and he chalked it up to wear in. It has worked fine since then.
I added a Bontrager shock absorbing seat post and a Serfas E-Gel seat, which is the perfect seat for me. Also added a Racktime Odin trunk bag that has zip up panniers in the side pockets. Also added a Topeak seat bag. It fits perfectly with the Racktime Lightit rack it came with. Also added bar ends to give me an optional high riding position and a Mirrycle Mirror. I had the (free) Bosch firmwear update done early on which added light on/off capability and E-MTB (replacing Sport mode) mode to the PLCX motor which I really like. I also added OneUp pedals as the factory pedals are a bit slippery.
As for charging, I simply charge to 100% each time and fail to understand this 80% ”sweet spot”. The battery lives inside my house, wrapped in a fiberglass fire mat and kept in a metal toolbox. 🧰
B39663F3-191F-4893-8D22-0682661B8683.jpeg

Your bike is nicely outfitted!
I guess I may have to bring it back to the shop to have another tech look at the bike chain behavior.
I have a couple of other questions: Do you have a difficulties in reaching 28mph on level streets with your Allant+ 7S? And have you had your LBS update the motor's firmware to bring it to 85Nm? If so, have you asked the tech to allow you the option to turn off your lights? My tech discouraged me from having that "switch" feature claiming that the LEDs on both lights draw a negligible amount of current, so I chose to go with what he suggested.
Thanks, Hornblower!

Your bike is nicely outfitted!
I guess I may have to bring it back to the shop to have another tech look at the bike chain behavior.
I have a couple of other questions: Do you have a difficulties in reaching 28mph on level streets with your Allant+ 7S? And have you had your LBS update the motor's firmware to bring it to 85Nm? If so, have you asked the tech to allow you the option to turn off your lights? My tech discouraged me from having that "switch" feature claiming that the LEDs on both lights draw a negligible amount of current, so I chose to go with what he suggested.
Thanks, Hornblower!
When I bought my bike late last year, my LBS did the firmware update before I left the shop and setup the option for me to be able to turn on or off the lights. I generally just have it off since I haven't rode during the dusk or night time. You are correct, my LBS also indicated having the lights on all the time doesn't draw much battery use.

My tech discouraged me from having that "switch" feature claiming that the LEDs on both lights draw a negligible amount of current, so I chose to go with what he suggested.
Why would your tech discourage that? Having control if your battery is getting low is a good thing. My other big reason for having it done was because the headlight gets quite hot and I very rarely ride at night or in traffic.

In regards to lights/batteries, the draw on my Allant 9s is considerable. Others here have quantified it as approaching 10%
I ordered a 7s (guest bike) last month. I’ll probably replace the grips. I have an ErgoTech saddle I might try depending on guest appraisal

In regards to lights/batteries, the draw on my Allant 9s is considerable. Others here have quantified it as approaching 10%
I ordered a 7s (guest bike) last month. I’ll probably replace the grips. I have an ErgoTech saddle I might try depending on guest appraisal
Completely agree with that. It drains the battery noticeably quicker. Not drastically but certainly noticeable.

The way I confirmed it was I turned the bike on and switched the lights on and left it alone for a couple of hours. Battery went down 7% during the 150minutes of it being immobile but switched on.

Also, as Dallant stated the headlight does get unreasonably hot which is basically my only complaint about my allant. For these reasons I had the lbs activate that feature so I can control the lights.

I purchased the Bontrager ion headlight and Bontrager rear flare taillight to supplement the stock lighting. I rarely activate the stock head & rear lighting anyway since the USB rechargeable Bontrager’s I purchased are more than enough and I rarely ride at night, atleast not long night rides.

Last edited:
Why would your tech discourage that? Having control if your battery is getting low is a good thing. My other big reason for having it done was because the headlight gets quite hot and I very rarely ride at night or in traffic.
The tech's feeling is that it's all about the safety and that Trek likes to have the lights on when riding. Since the LEDs don't draw that much battery current, it just seemed to make sense to me.

I
Hornblower,

Cheers!
I think the vibration is normal when going up a hill and accelerating. Mine does it too since day one and I have 1800 miles on the odometer.

As long as your not hearing any unusual noises or sounds from the motor you should be good.

Back