Allant+7 thoughts/review

How do you like the nubby tires and suspension fork? Better on gravel and uneven pavement?
Yes, I knew I wanted and needed both as I cross/ride gravel roads/patches on a frequent basis. It’s not unusual for me to round corners on dirt/grass very quickly and the nubs give me great confidence yet are relatively quiet on pavement. I’ve got a bum shoulder so the suspension helps too!
My test ride convinced me that it was everything I was looking for.

Last edited:
New Allant+ 7s owner here. I've put in a little over 100 miles on it and can say that it is a truly awesome bike! I really love it and have no issues at all.

I agree with Dallant that my Performance Line Speed (Gen 4) is also slightly louder than some other motors I tried (for example, the Brose motor on the Specialized Vados I test rode were practically silent), but this is the only minor complaint I have and it really isn't a complaint....just a negligible distraction at times. The motor isn't really loud, but it is noticable, especially when in turbo at lower cadence pushing hard up hill. Most of the time at speed the wind noise and tire noise are louder than or about the same as the motor noise. However, despite this audible hum, I do love the Bosch Gen 4 motor! It has great power delivery and is smooth and really well integrated into the drive train. So much fun!

I also love that I can ride with the motor off and it feels like an normal unpowered ("analog" or "acoustic") bike. There is no noticable drag when riding unpowered. This gives the option of infinite range if desired or needed. Of course the motor/battery weight makes the hills more difficult than an analog bike, but on the flats I have ridden many miles unassisted and it is comfortable and fun (but not quite as fun as powering uphill without breaking a sweat!).

I was contemplating the 8s and the 7s, but since I was already at the upper reach of my budget I settled on the 7s. No regrets at all. The main differences between the 7s and the 8s are:

• 500 Wh battery(7s) vs 625 Wh battery(8s)
  • Mobie 25 suspension fork(7s) vs. AL rigid blade fork(8s)
  • Shimano Alivio 11-36t 9-spd(7s) vs Shimano Deore 11-42t 10-spd(8s)
  • Purion display(7s) vs Smartphone Hub display(8s)
  • Herrmans/AXA lights(7s) vs. Trek Lync lights(8s)
  • Racktime Lightit rear rack(7s)vs. Lowrider (panniers only) rear rack(8s)
  • Schwalbe G-One tires(7s) vs. Bontrager E6 tires(8s)
I was OK with the reduced battery capacity. I was concerned about whether I would like the gearing, but after test riding the 7s and now after >100 miles on it I am perfectly happy with the 9-speed gearing and shifting of the new Alivio system (Shimano technology trickle-down over the decades has resulted in excellent components even in the lower tiers). I don't miss that one lower gear and I am in a hilly area and fairly heavy at over 200lbs, but I also have a lot of riding and hill climbing experience...YMMV. I like the simple display of the Purion, but every now and then my inner nerd wishes it would output wattage (both motor and legs), cadence, and higher resolution battery details. But really most of the time I just like to ride my bike and the Purion displays everything I need for that purpose and it doesn't take up much real estate on my handlebars....simple, small, doesn't attract too much unwanted attention, and it just works....no complaints. The lights seem better than I was initially expecting, but it is summer in the northern hemisphere now and I haven't had to do much night riding. Unlike most people, I'm a fan of rigid forks as I tend to favor efficiency/speed/stability over comfort. But I'm happy with the Suntour Mobie 25 suspension fork. I like that I can choose to use lockout if I want a more rigid ride or unlock to soften out the suspension while traversing rougher areas.

Overall incredible bike! Very comfortable ride. Very fast and powerful when needed. Rides perfectly fine unpowered when desired. Would absolutely recommend to others. 5-stars!
I agree 100%. I never really considered the 7s because I just wanted total access to any trails and just have no need to go any faster than 20. I’m sure it’s more fun under the right circumstances!

and the soon-to-arrive OneUp composite pedals.

I've also been considering these exact pedals. Please report back once you have a chance to ride them for a bit.

I thought the stock Satellite City pedals would be horrible when I first glanced at them. They certainly are ugly IMHO and they initially did not look very grippy. But I thought I would give them a chance and they have been pleasantly surprised by them. I'm reasonably happy with the stock pedals for now, but I'm still thinking about potentially swapping out in the future with a platform with a bit more grip and footprint.... jury's still out.

Nice review, I have almost 100 miles on 7S and having a great time with it. Was at the Saratoga Battlefield with it today.
IMG_0594.jpg

Last edited:
I purchased a 7S on 06/27. Couldn't be happier. I have ridden it 300+ miles and no problems at all.
A little pricey, other than that I would recommend it to anyone looking for a bike in this price range.

I agree on the "pricey" it was more than I wanted to spend. Prior to this I had a homemade ebike I made from a Trek Mountain bike. It's really fast and I made it throttle only.. The problem with the homemade one is I don't really feel all that safe on it, it's heavy battery on the back and front wheel motor make it a bit unbalanced and plus the frame wasn't really designed for that much torque as well as having rim caliper brakes... I will still use it occasionally but my new Allant is just nicer to ride and although not as powerful I do get more exercise which is good. Also as you can see in the picture the controller is just stuffed in a frame bag which already has caused a loose wire to shut me done on a long ride once.
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190311210151111_COVER.jpg

I paid the price based on my past great experience with Trek, their huge dealer network, their associations with major component manufacturers, and the evolution of their ebike products. Darn right they’re pricey but I trust it will be worth it over the long haul.
We used our “stimulis checks” to stimulate me and the economy! I don’t regret it one bit so far!😎

I purchased a 7s Sat. I left the charger and owners manual box at the dealer. I was able to get 1 ride in for about 30+ miles. All seemed to work . I think I would like to upgrade the display, I believe Kiox has just become available and Nyon is close. Not sure which one and price yet. Need an accurate battery scale! I am waiting for a external battery kit already , should be this week. I went with the 7s because this will be the spare bike when my WattWagons arrive, saved a couple penny’s over the 9 And wanted a comfort shock. I also needed a bike that day so the 8 with added shock would take a more time.

other current bikes are a BH Nitro currently t the dealer repairing a flat and a Stromer ST2 where the the rack sheared off the fender and both pieces are trashed. No more carrying spare batteries. Both have electrical gremlins too.i bought some new Schwalbe Energizers for the BH which I am now saving to replace the stock tire on the 7. They are less aggressive road tires (no nubs) which suit my rails to trails long rides.

I was told my bike is updated at time of purchase . I am going to see if I can turn the light off and I somewhere on the forum I was told how to check firmware version. Then off to the shop to pick up my charger and repaired bike.

one the main reasons for buying this bike is local service I really prefer a hub drive and more torque. Hard to tell how the bike runs while toggling between eco and no power to extend the ride. I did get top speed at the end . The bike range had 4 miles left but had 2 bars left which one to believe?

400 mile update...so other than taking a spill today (not the bike’s fault) and only having left side pedal scraping, the Allant+7 has been fantastic. The Bosch update made the light on/off function/EMTB mode switch (that I specifically asked for) operate perfectly. Only other sad note is the headlight ceased functioning and I’m not sure why since it didn’t take a hit. May be a tweaked wire.
As a side note, I received my new Racktime Odin bag (w/zippered pannier bags on each side) and it fits/works perfectly on my OEM rack. I’m expecting my new Bell Sixty MIPS helmet any day now.

I agree with Dallant that my Performance Line Speed (Gen 4) is also slightly louder than some other motors I tried (for example, the Brose motor on the Specialized Vados I test rode were practically silent), but this is the only minor complaint I have and it really isn't a complaint....just a negligible distraction at times. The motor isn't really loud, but it is noticable, especially when in turbo at lower cadence pushing hard up hill. Most of the time at speed the wind noise and tire noise are louder than or about the same as the motor noise. However, despite this audible hum, I do love the Bosch Gen 4 motor! It has great power delivery and is smooth and really well integrated into the drive train. So much fun!

I also love that I can ride with the motor off and it feels like an normal unpowered ("analog" or "acoustic") bike. There is no noticable drag when riding unpowered. This gives the option of infinite range if desired or needed. Of course the motor/battery weight makes the hills more difficult than an analog bike, but on the flats I have ridden many miles unassisted and it is comfortable and fun (but not quite as fun as powering uphill without breaking a sweat!).
I'm in the UK so the specs are different, but my Allant+ 8 has the gen 4 CX motor like yours, and I agree that it is louder than I expected (eg compared with performance line motor). But I am getting used to it, and I love the delivery from it and the lack of resistance when unpowered.
(The rigid alloy forks of the 8 are a big plus for me, as I like to use front panniers (as well as rear) when on tour).

I'm used to a steel tourer so the 2.4" tyres were a bit of a shock at first, but I love them now - makes for a v comfy ride. Mine came with the Bontrager E6 which seem to be pretty good on the rolling resistance.

500 MILE UPDATE...
It took me a while to hit 500 mile mark as we recently were one of the many communities who were hit by the derecho which hit our area with 95-140 mph straight line winds. Trails and bike paths along the roads here have been covered with trees and debris for the last two weeks. Corn fields that looked great despite the drought have been shredded and flattened. Lots of cleanup and our great pine tree pushed over, thankfully away from our house!
Anyway, the Allant+7 is still running great at 500+ with no issues. I’ve been doing 20+ mile rides as often as I can and generally get two/three rides on a single battery charge.
2685FA36-58C0-4D83-8C82-FF2C71B936E3.jpeg
2734AC29-52FB-486C-9C17-555D75A8FB41.jpeg

500 MILE UPDATE...
It took me a while to hit 500 mile mark as we recently were one of the many communities who were hit by the derecho which hit our area with 95-140 mph straight line winds. Trails and bike paths along the roads here have been covered with trees and debris for the last two weeks. Corn fields that looked great despite the drought have been shredded and flattened. Lots of cleanup and our great pine tree pushed over, thankfully away from our house!
Anyway, the Allant+7 is still running great at 500+ with no issues. I’ve been doing 20+ mile rides as often as I can and generally get two/three rides on a single battery charge.
View attachment 63047View attachment 63048

Just wanted to add one more owner to the Allant+ 7S club. I have the stagger and so far I really like it. TBH I rode both the Trek and the Specialized Vado several times. I think the bikes are pretty equal, and there were things I preferred on the Vado , but I really loved the frame of the Trek. It seemed to fit me almost perfectly. I could use a bit of handlebar rise perhaps, but otherwise I feel very stable. Frame is a small I am 5'4"

Just wanted to add one more owner to the Allant+ 7S club. I have the stagger and so far I really like it. TBH I rode both the Trek and the Specialized Vado several times. I think the bikes are pretty equal, and there were things I preferred on the Vado , but I really loved the frame of the Trek. It seemed to fit me almost perfectly. I could use a bit of handlebar rise perhaps, but otherwise I feel very stable. Frame is a small I am 5'4"
I added bar ends to add a bit of height.
A3FE7179-4CA1-4657-9695-0339F788E799.jpeg

I have considered that. Do you like the tape? I've never used it . Is it for padding and/or grip?

I bought the tape for the grip and its great for that and definitely helps with cushioning.

Longtime rider here, 65 years old now. My legs aren't what they used to be. I'm looking at the Allant+ 7. I don't think I really need extra speed of the the S model but I noticed they don't offer the stagger frame on the the non S model. Is that correct? Also was wondering how much does the battery itself weigh? Would removing the battery help much loading on to my pickup? I'm used to just lifting my carbon fiber road bike over the tailgate and strapping in in.

Longtime rider here, 65 years old now. My legs aren't what they used to be. I'm looking at the Allant+ 7. I don't think I really need extra speed of the the S model but I noticed they don't offer the stagger frame on the the non S model. Is that correct? Also was wondering how much does the battery itself weigh? Would removing the battery help much loading on to my pickup? I'm used to just lifting my carbon fiber road bike over the tailgate and strapping in in.

I'd guess the battery 8-10 lbs, but again just a guess. It does make range, hills, wind conditions... well irrelevant. Rent a bike and see! Best wishes!!!

Also was wondering how much does the battery itself weigh?

I haven't weighed it myself yet, but according to Court's review on this EBR site, the battery is 7.1lb with Trek Removable Integrated Battery RIB Shield and Handle.

Removing the battery does help a bit with lifting/loading the bike, but be warned that the bike is still fairly heavy without the battery. I think the bike weighs about 47 lbs, which means it is about 40 lbs without the battery. Not exactly a feather, but there are definitely heavier ebikes out there. I don't have any problems occasionally loading mine on the bike rack.

I remove my battery to load on my rack. My lbs said they recommend it anyway for transport.

Back