Aliexpress, you son of a ...!

Gionnirocket

Region
USA
City
Y. O.
So yesterday I got the itch to do some long overdue maintenance and replace my drivetrain with parts I purchased quite a while ago. Got the freewheel and chainring replaced all while taking my time and cleaning hard to reach places as I go. So now down to the last component, the chain, which I got from Aliexpress 6+ months ago, and which when received I gave a quick look at and seemed to be an authentic KMC with all the same markings as my current chain. Go to lay it out on the bench to size up next to my old chain and the muthà flockin' thing is only 100 links long!! 8 short of what I need and 16 short of what I thought I purchased.
So once I stopped cursing (half in sicilian as that always seemed to help my father in these situations : ) I had to put all the old parts back on with the old chain and get to ordering from a LBS on eBay.

Damn you my little cheatiń friends!!
Well at least everything is nice and loose & clean for next week. 🙃

If you only need a few extra links you might check with your local bike shop. They probably keep a few around from fitting new chains. I know I would if I ran a bike shop. You never know when you are going to come up short. Easy enough to add on with an inexpensive chain tool.

I thought about that after I stopped cursing but in the end I found the same chain with a 120 links that should leave me with plenty of extra after I cut it to size. It's already shipped and the expected delivery is Monday.
Besides.... I do it right, because I do it twice 🙃

My NCX seatpost arrived today, relatively quick, 14 days and packed very well.
I've been averaging 2 weeks from them for about 2 months now. Pays to deal with the better rated sellers that are in the bicycle business.

My NCX seatpost arrived today, relatively quick, 14 days and packed very well.
I've been averaging 2 weeks from them for about 2 months now. Pays to deal with the better rated sellers that are in the bicycle business.
I also received and installed an NCX seatpost from the Silk Road camel train last week. It took longer than 2 weeks but it was all good, and I wasn't in a big hurry. It even came with the nice little mechanical linkage dust cover. I do find it a bit curious that it's a name brand product and wasn't packaged in any consumer retail type packaging, only bubble wrap and cardboard. This is the norm for no-name / knock-off products from Aliexpress / Amazon, and SR Suntour obviously outsources it's manufacturing to China just like everyone else, but I can't help speculate on possible scenarios.

Multiple Choice, check any or all that apply:

1. It's a knock-off of incredibly correct detail and quality.
2. Employees are "liberating" them from the shop floor and "diverting' the supply chain.
3. SR Suntour stays out of the Chinese domestic market and the manufacturer has a very liberal view of the word "domestic".
4. SR Suntour just shrugs its shoulders and says, "what can you do about it".
5. SR Suntour isn't really a Japanese company anymore.
6. This is a small part of China's overall revenge on Japan, as they take them down, one manufactured product at a time.

I'm in Canada and the official SR Suntour list price is $144.95 CAD. I paid $90.42 CAD, to my door, all in. The difference is probably the dealer margin, but my LBS didn't have any in stock or I would have definitely purchased one there. I like the shop, and have spent a good amount there this summer.

Looks like the new chain will get delivered today.
Drive train replacement, Take Two

FOILED AGAIN!!!
So the chain arrived and it seems I'm back in a holding pattern. It was described as Silver/White... but I ass_umed that meant it wasn't the typical Brown or Grey. In my defense, the photo in the description shows a silver chain known as the KMC Rust Buster

smh... Who would use such a thing!?!?

s-l400.jpg. IMAG0437.jpg

FOILED AGAIN!!!
So the chain arrived and it seems I'm back in a holding pattern. It was described as Silver/White... but I ass_umed that meant it wasn't the typical Brown or Grey. In my defense, the photo in the description shows a silver chain known as the KMC Rust Buster

smh... Who would use such a thing!?!?

View attachment 65789. View attachment 65790

Very popular with the Fixie and BMX crowd. ;)

1600533718853.png

...and for you froggy, gumba, authoritarians

IMG_20200919_130621_519.JPG

I'm still not putting that chain on my bike!!

But maybe 60' psychedelic 🙃

IMG_20200919_131339_497.JPG

This is the norm for no-name / knock-off products from Aliexpress / Amazon, and SR Suntour obviously outsources it's manufacturing to China just like everyone else, but I can't help speculate on possible scenarios.

Multiple Choice, check any or all that apply:

4. SR Suntour just shrugs its shoulders and says, "what can you do about it".

I'm in Canada and the official SR Suntour list price is $144.95 CAD. I paid $90.42 CAD, to my door, all in. The difference is probably the dealer margin, but my LBS didn't have any in stock or I would have definitely purchased one there. I like the shop, and have spent a good amount there this summer.
I think they end up shrugging their shoulders because if they order a run of 10,000 units from the factory, the factory might make double/triple/10x the number, then sell the overrun on sites like AliExpress or Fasttech, via an intermediary company.

I first read details about this shortly after I started on e-cigarettes about 8 years ago, back when custom parts were a big deal, with serial numbers and all. Someone would design an RDA (chamber for putting the coil/cotton/juice in) and get a limited run (say 1500 for example, complete with serial numbers) made at a Chinese factory, to sell for $100 each.

The factory would then make another 5000 of the exact same device, but just not add branding or serial number, and sell them on Fasttech for about $20.

On Fasttech, for example, if it says "authentic BrandX" it's PROBABLY from the same factory, same quality, but minus some branding and certainly not covered by warranty. If it says "BrandX styled" it's either a complete knock off or from the same factory, but with some material substitution (sometimes replacing glass with plastic, for example).

AliExpress just failed me!
My wheel order sat for 7 days waiting to be shipped, time expired and I just got a refund! UGH!

I'm still in search of a 26"x4 5mm QR front wheel! I sure wish I had known about this wheel spacing before I bought!

AliExpress just failed me!
My wheel order sat for 7 days waiting to be shipped, time expired and I just got a refund! UGH!

I'm still in search of a 26"x4 5mm QR front wheel! I sure wish I had known about this wheel spacing before I bought!

That sucks... I've had that happen a few times. Why don't they just message you and ask you to cancel the order if they can't fulfill it. It's bad enough to wait weeks for it to arrive... But to wait for nothing... smh...

Well Amazon was out extra early this morning and I got my chain... Bezos you efficient bastage!

IMG_20200922_085129_832.jpg

Drive train replacement... Take 3

That sucks... I've had that happen a few times. Why don't they just message you and ask you to cancel the order if they can't fulfill it. It's bad enough to wait weeks for it to arrive... But to wait for nothing... smh...

Well Amazon was out extra early this morning and I got my chain... Bezos you efficient bastage!

View attachment 66199

Drive train replacement... Take 3

Nice... are you replacing the rear cassette also?

Chainring, Freewheel and Chain. Finished up a little while ago and getting ready for a test drive.
I've moved towards a little more speed as the chainring went from 46t to 48t and the freewheel dropping the smallest cog from 13t to 11t.
Let's see if my legs can push it now 🙃

Chainring, Freewheel and Chain. Finished up a little while ago and getting ready for a test drive.
I've moved towards a little more speed as the chainring went from 46t to 48t and the freewheel dropping the smallest cog from 13t to 11t.
Let's see if my legs can push it now 🙃

Excellent... you will love the 11 tooth cog for the high end!

Excellent... you will love the 11 tooth cog for the high end!

I wish!
I don't know why but the 48t chainring was kicking my ass yesterday. Was riding on average two gears lower the entire ride. Before doing the BBS02B conversion in April I was riding a triple in the front 28,38,48 and 48 was where I was 70% of the time.
Did I get so soft in just 6 months?
I did hit 30mph using the 11 in PAS 6 on a slight decent... and there was still plenty of pedal resistance.

Back